People who have sold all or most of their TFs

Bizzmoff

Selling stuff isn't very high on my agenda, but I have become much more crititcal on what to buy. Classics, for instance, are great and all, but it's nothing I didn't see in G1. So there's not much interesting going on there. I have picked up collecting G1 again, that's what got me started in the first place and that's what I continue to enjoy. So I'm back to basics.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just often say "What does any of this ultimately amount to?" and think about hauling my entire collection down to the thrift store.

At least once a month or so.

:lol me too.

Except for that thrift store part. Instead, I start thinking, "how much could I get for that on the INTERWEBZ?"

When I was younger, I collected them.

At the age of 20 or so, I stopped, and ocassionally bought one or two, but they had to be really cool, or unique in some way.

Then I stopped doing that all together, and started spending my loot on other things.

Then in 2003 (I think) I was in Florida for the winter and I saw Alt Hound, and it brought back so many memories, plus, I own a Jeep Wrangler too, that, along with the memory factor and the coolness of it prompted me to purchase him.

When I got back to my hotel room I opened it, and I then found out just how cool Alts were....I had seen the others (Sideswipe and Smokescreen) but never gave them any thought, but once I had Hound in hand, I was hooked...

Now some years and about 100 Alts (official releases and customs) later, my collection of Alts, yes thats my entire collection...just Alts.... is dear to me...I dont think I could/would part with it unless dire need required it....if I had to get rid of them, would I try and refurbish my entire collection again?....thats a tuffy....

I currently have just over 500 TF's and I would really like to bring it back to just over 300.

Basically, my interest has dwindled somewhat. There are many TF's that I really want to keep and will also keep, but there are also many that I look at and just don't understand why I ever bought them. At the time I thought they were good, but I've changed my mind.

Also, there are many TF's that I just keep in storage in my attic. Since I doubt I will ever display them, I don't mind getting rid of them.

Would prefer to keep my collection to TF's that I really enjoy: Alts, MP's, early G1 (plus dioaclone variants), paintable/bashable TF's, and some stuff from other lines that I just like. This currently is just over 300.

...Now some years and about 100 Alts (official releases and customs) later, my collection of Alts, yes thats my entire collection...just Alts.... is dear to me...

That is so cool that you like Alts that much. Do you collect the BTs too or just the Alt versions?

My collection is currently on 1007 Transformers (according to the Poll counting method).

What does that have to do with the thread topic?

Have you ever wanted to or had to cut that number down? Have you ever looked at your figures and thought about all the soon-to-be obsolete electronics that you could have purchased? What about car modifications that would turn your grocery getter into a beast.

1007 toys @ $5 USD each = a lot of money. I know you paid more than $5 for most of your toys ;)

What does that have to do with the thread topic?

Err, it was in response to Rawhide's comment about having 500 TFs and wanting to cut back to 300 - although I have no intention of cutting back, so I can see how my comment was kinda irrelevant (oops :P).

Have you ever wanted to or had to cut that number down?

Nope. There have been a few figures that I've wanted to get rid of, and I do still have some spares that I wanna unload (like my mint in bag Glyph - anyone want?) but I have no intention of significantly reducing this number.

Have you ever looked at your figures and thought about all the soon-to-be obsolete electronics that you could have purchased?

That's the thing... I'm not into any of that kind of stuff.

I don't own a stereo hi-fi system or home theatre set. While I appreciate the reasons for why people invest in these things, I personally have no interest in acquiring it for myself. Heck, the only CD player I own is a Blotty little cheap thing attached with a cassette player and radio, and the only reason I own it is because I needed something to listen to my CDs while my computer was packed away during my last move! It spends most of its time gathering dust.

Game consoles? I had a PS2, but it got stolen last year... haven't been arsed to replace it because I very seldomly play games.

What about car modifications that would turn your grocery getter into a beast.

I don't drive - I ride a bicycle. My bike cost me $50 second hand. A new one would probably only cost me $200-300.

Also, I don't see my toy collecting as any sort of financial investment (although I understand what you mean in terms of each figure being worth something - well, maybe not the Animorphs) -- I collect Transformers because I like to, and for the most part - I enjoy playing with these toys and delving into the mythos/fantasy.

At a single glance 1007 figures may seem like a massive financial expenditure, but you need to remember that this was a collection which was grown from 23 years of continual collecting. That's an average of 43.8 TFs a year which comes to about $219 a year at $5 a figure (very rough guesstimate, but you get the idea).

I've never smoked and I very rarely drink. I think people who go drinking after work each Friday could easily spend this amount in a year (if not more - especially if they also smoke). The difference is that I feel that I get more lasting pleasure from my expenditure.

Everyone likes to spend their money on something that they enjoy. Some people spend it on alcohol, others on smokes, others on electronics, others on their car(s)... I like to buy Transformers. ;)

My Transformers also hold a great amount of sentimental value for me. Each figure is almost like a time capsule - when I look at them I remember the year in which I bought them and what my life was like at that time. For example, Pretenders came out when I'd just started junior high school so whenever I look at or play with my Pretenders, it gives me memories of that time. In fact, two years ago I visited an old family friend who's currently living in Hong Kong and she had a very old photo of my brother and I as kids playing with our Pretenders. Even ones I bought as an adult still hold sentimental value for me. For example, Beast Wars came out while I was doing my undergrad university study. Car Robot/RiD came out when I was completing my post-graduate studies. And to me, you can't attach a price on that kind of value - which is part of what really sucked when I had some of my TFs stolen last year... what really sucked about losing my original G1 Optimus Prime wasn't the fact that I lost a G1 Optimus Prime -- I got lots of different reissues in much better condition - but the fact that I lost the G1 Prime figure that I personally grew up playing with. It was almost like losing a childhood friend.

Ya know thats the thing.. if people are buying transformers for 'collectors value' and never sell it off.. what would be the point in amassing a collection? Thats where MISB people confuse me.. open yer damn toys or sell em all.. its not like they'll be worth that much as an inhertiance to your next of kin in your passing or anything..

Obiviously the above statement tells ya what side of the fence I'm standing on.

I don't doubt my time as a 'serious collector' will come to an end.. (as far as I'm concerned those days are becoming numbered even now) but the collection itself will probably be with me for awhile. I just won't be adding anything to it.

Archived