People who have sold all or most of their TFs

Bizzmoff

There is something strange about collectors. Sometimes we lay awake at night thinking of where to order or search for a particular item. Sometimes we want to box them all up and list them on eBay.

I know that collecting can be an addiction, and a very expensive one at that. Have you ever wanted to stop collecting, sell them all, or actually gone through with it? Are you rebuilding your collection after selling most of them? Do some lines get you excited and other not even interest you? Spill your guts and help us all deal with reality :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I started out collecting, I bought anything I saw that transformed reguardless of quality. Now I have a bunch of junk that I've considered selling, but that no one would buy. I have cut back alot on what I buy, and try not to get into a line until I know it won't disappont me. I'm hesitant about buying any of the super squad TFs because I've already got PVCs and 3" Titaniums. I'm not sure I want another small, non-transformable collection that won't look right with my others.

I suppose having a mortgage made me reassess my collection and collecting habits. Like many others here, I used to pick up any TF just because it was a TF, but now I've become a lot more select about which ones I buy - quality over quantity is my new collecting rule. If I'm not completely uber excited about a new TF, I don't need it.

With that said, there are still a lot of bots in my house...which I suppose says something about the greatness of these little transforming pieces of plastic :tfgrin

Yes I have collected for along time.

Yes I have sold almost everything.

Yes I have rebought them.

And yes I have sold them again.

Here is why:

Money for one, you do get alot of money tied up in these. You can sell them to pay for more important stuff like, food, women, and kids. Or you can sell your stuff in order to buy something else. My collection is like a revolving door. I collect and sell all the time. I would not call myself a toy dealer persay, but in many ways I am. I go in phases, for awhile, I collected Star Wars, then Transformers, than GI Joes, than He-man, Mask, and went back to transformers, and back to Star Wars. (now I'm into Simpsons and Futuerama). I have to say, I have owned about every single G1 Transformer or Star Wars figure/vehicle one time or another. For awhile I was doing Quality over quantity, and sold alot of my little junk, to get a cool statue or masterpiece. Now I'm kinda being picky (atleast trying to) and just collecting stuff I really want, and trying not to complete collections. You can drive yourself nuts thinking about completing a set of something. Collecting should be fun and not a burden.

Man that was a huge rant.

I feel better now...time for some Thin Mint Cookies....

I feel better now...time for some Thin Mint Cookies....

Yes, it is Girl Scout cookie season isn't it. I've already finished off half a box of thin mints AND dealt with the guilt :tfgrin

i always say ill never sell my collection. but who knows what the future has in store. lets just say in an ideal situation, if i never have to sell my collection then i wont. but i dont think ill ever sell them if i even am finished with the hobby. it took to long to aquire just for some fast cash. and theyre worth more than that to me.

well, with the movie on the horizon, i realize that i probably won't be buying many tfs. there are a few that i do indeed want, but nothing i'll be in a hurry to get. i'm pretty confident that just like every other movie toy line, tftm will be overly saturated. so i'll be devoting more cash to my car audio system. once i get that done i'll be saving up for g1 goodies. if "heroes" is animated along the same vein as teen titans, and esp if the toys resemble their animated counter parts, i'll be skipping that line as well. americanime blows balls.

I've been ill for a long time with various things so have found that collecting TFs is the only thing that keeps me semi sane at times. I have considered selling my TFs at times though and have sold off a lot of my G1 figures. Mostly because I can now get reissues that are in better condition.

As for heroes. I hope the animation is like X men Evolution, or Megas XLR. Both are excellent quality and Megas has even had characters in episodes that lok like TFs (one looked like Starscream and the emperor of the planet loked a bit like Alpha Trion)

Archived