Why this movie is pretty G1

Radioactive Ravage

No.

I hate it when people respond to a post with nothing but "No". It's like they're just dismissing the post because they feel it's not worth their time to give it a proper rebutal.

:tflaugh maybe you've stumbled on to something there.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No.

I hate it when people respond to a post with nothing but "No". It's like they're just dismissing the post because they feel it's not worth their time to give it a proper rebutal.

:tflaugh maybe you've stumbled on to something there.

:lol

IMO:

1) It's hypocritical to love the designs before seeing the movie and then say disliking the designs before seeing the movie is dumb. You shouldn't have to wait to see a movie in order to decide you wouldn't like it or want to pay money to see it.

Here's the thing. I love the designs and I can honestly say that because I've seen them and I think they're cool. But what I've seen from a lot of people who don't like them is that they're not basing their opinions of the designs on the designs themselves. They're basing their opinions on how much they (don't) resemble G1 characters. Which is a totally different criterion. (Cletus is the only person on this board that I know of who's consistently said that he doesn't like the designs simply because he doesn't like the designs.)

:thumb

I mean, duh, if you asked me to grade the movie TF designs on "adherence to past TF design standards" I'd give them all an F. Anyone can see that they don't look like the Transformers that we're used to seeing. But the question is, "how much does that matter?" At what point does it cease to be "Transformers" if you radically change the look of the robots? Or does it? Can it? Is it still Transformers as long as you have giant alien robots transforming into Earth vehicles and disguising themselves here? I'm inclined to believe so, which is why I think all the "I hate the designs, therefore the movie will suck" stuff is so off base. It seems to be rather beside the point to me.

I tend to agree. The only concern I have about the extreme design change (aside from my own dislike for what they came up with) is that a big part of this movie's market is going to be people that have vague memories of the characters. And most of those memories with be visual. My fear is that by changing things this radically you eliminate all of those vague memories and a portion of that audience that would have gone because they half-remember these things won't go because there's nothing to set it apart from any other big budget sci-fi explosionfest.

If that makes any sense.

so in other words you dont like the designs because they aren't G1 enough??

:tfhuh

Show me where I said that.

:lol A well disguised truth

But I think he meant it specifically for non-TF fans. Everyone I talk to to who has quote "vague memories" says stuff like "I heard Megatron isn't going to be a gun, WTF?"

So that's how it goes, I guess

:lol A well disguised truth

But I think he meant it specifically for non-TF fans. Everyone I talk to to who has quote "vague memories" says stuff like "I heard Megatron isn't going to be a gun, WTF?"

So that's how it goes, I guess

Thank you for understanding what I said.

I would just like to add that the reason I don't like the movie designs has nothing to do with G1 or not-G1. If that were the case I wouldn't like RID Prime or Energon Shockwave. The reason I don't like the designs is because I think they're ugly as f*ck. I can't put it any plainer than that.

I tend to agree. The only concern I have about the extreme design change (aside from my own dislike for what they came up with) is that a big part of this movie's market is going to be people that have vague memories of the characters. And most of those memories with be visual. My fear is that by changing things this radically you eliminate all of those vague memories and a portion of that audience that would have gone because they half-remember these things won't go because there's nothing to set it apart from any other big budget sci-fi explosionfest.

If that makes any sense.

In other words - the designs arent matching up to your hypothetical audience who has Vague visual memories of a cartoon over 20 years old.

Now tell me how that doesnt mean G1?

IMO - i think the designs look pretty G1, i mean assuming we arent talking about $10 toys and cheap animation (unless thats what people really are hoping for, cheap animation).

BB and Jazz have hood chests, in fact rachet and Ironhide have hood chests too... Prime has window boobies and grill abs.

Starscream has a cockpit chest.

For my part i hated that all the robots looked like Men wearing lego suits. in fact i nearly vomited that PRIMUS in the comics was Rodimus Prime in Tights. But hey if thats what y'all want... i think theres another FF4 movie comeing out.

If that makes any sense.

In other words - the designs arent matching up to your hypothetical audience who has Vague visual memories of a cartoon over 20 years old.

Now tell me how that doesnt mean G1?

IMO - i think the designs look pretty G1, i mean assuming we arent talking about $10 toys and cheap animation (unless thats what people really are hoping for, cheap animation).

BB and Jazz have hood chests, in fact rachet and Ironhide have hood chests too... Prime has window boobies and grill abs.

Starscream has a cockpit chest.

For my part i hated that all the robots looked like Men wearing lego suits. in fact i nearly vomited that PRIMUS in the comics was Rodimus Prime in Tights. But hey if thats what y'all want... i think theres another FF4 movie comeing out.

*sigh*

Try separating the thoughts.

1) My own opinion on the movie designs is that I don't like them. I think they're ugly.

2) Perhaps by making the designs so different the moviemakers may be losing part of the potential audience that would go to see a movie about a cartoon (or comic or toyline) that they haven't seen in a long time. This is completely independent of my own like or dislike of the designs.

Does that clear it up a bit?

Archived