Why this movie is pretty G1

Radioactive Ravage

personally, i kind of agree with radioactive ravage, however, some of the other points made make a lot of sense too. i think that the movie will, more or less even in it's updated conception, stick to G1's roots indefinately. for starters, there are no mini-cons in the upcoming feature as we know of. that is a huge step up right there. second, peter cullen is doing the voice of optimus, so that scores major nastalga points right off the bat. third, the movie looks like it's going to be more violent than anything we have seen since G1. moreover, radioactive ravage has a point about the designs of the robots. while they do look like bionicle knock offs in robot mode, the vehicular modes are actual vehicles, unlike most of the prior transformer incarnations (excluding the binaltech/alternators line.). also, about the terminology that some of you deem offensive, i don't think that terms like "gee-wun" are offensive in the slightest. why care really, when most of it is going to mean the same thing anyways. but, i'm not going to judge the movie until i see it for myself. you never know, it might actually be good. i won't know for sure until i see it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where robots took the form of actual vehicles and hid from human eyes?

I wouldn't say that the vehicle modes are 100% realistic. Did you see that pic of the vehicle modes which was taken at Edwards Airforce Base? They looked like a bunch of toys. The design asthetic is still more in line with AEC than Alternators.

Why do I care if this movie is G1?

Seriously, get over it, G1 is dead, the better part of twenty years dead infact.

Where robots took the form of actual vehicles and hid from human eyes?

I wouldn't say that the vehicle modes are 100% realistic. Did you see that pic of the vehicle modes which was taken at Edwards Airforce Base? They looked like a bunch of toys. The design asthetic is still more in line with AEC than Alternators.

No.

Ah. I didn't post this as a topic to dissuade those who are "haters," or those who dislike the movie because of various reasons, nor did I do this to shamelessly promote "my side".

I was taking notice of how many people wished it was the original show robots, and I stated how, in concept, the two are very closely related, except in appearance.

Ah. I didn't post this as a topic to dissuade those who are "haters," or those who dislike the movie because of various reasons, nor did I do this to shamelessly promote "my side".

I was taking notice of how many people wished it was the original show robots, and I stated how, in concept, the two are very closely related, except in appearance.

Ahh. Haven't really heard much of that, least in this thread, but *shrug*. The reasons for my feelings about the movie are due to G1 purism, but not because I "wished it were the original show." Or I'd just... go watch the original show.. :roll

IMO:

1) It's hypocritical to love the designs before seeing the movie and then say disliking the designs before seeing the movie is dumb. You shouldn't have to wait to see a movie in order to decide you wouldn't like it or want to pay money to see it.

Here's the thing. I love the designs and I can honestly say that because I've seen them and I think they're cool. But what I've seen from a lot of people who don't like them is that they're not basing their opinions of the designs on the designs themselves. They're basing their opinions on how much they (don't) resemble G1 characters. Which is a totally different criterion. (Cletus is the only person on this board that I know of who's consistently said that he doesn't like the designs simply because he doesn't like the designs.)

I mean, duh, if you asked me to grade the movie TF designs on "adherence to past TF design standards" I'd give them all an F. Anyone can see that they don't look like the Transformers that we're used to seeing. But the question is, "how much does that matter?" At what point does it cease to be "Transformers" if you radically change the look of the robots? Or does it? Can it? Is it still Transformers as long as you have giant alien robots transforming into Earth vehicles and disguising themselves here? I'm inclined to believe so, which is why I think all the "I hate the designs, therefore the movie will suck" stuff is so off base. It seems to be rather beside the point to me.

I mean, duh, if you asked me to grade the movie TF designs on "adherence to past TF design standards" I'd give them all an F. Anyone can see that they don't look like the Transformers that we're used to seeing. But the question is, "how much does that matter?" At what point does it cease to be "Transformers" if you radically change the look of the robots? Or does it? Can it? Is it still Transformers as long as you have giant alien robots transforming into Earth vehicles and disguising themselves here?

Sensible -- in fact, think we're getting somewhere now. I'd say it's a matter of subjectivity. To some people it clearly doesn't matter, while to others it's critical.

I'm inclined to believe so, which is why I think all the "I hate the designs, therefore the movie will suck" stuff is so off base. It seems to be rather beside the point to me.

Agreement or not, it is hasty reasoning to jump from "I hate the designs," to "therefore the movie will suck," if that's what you've been hearing before. There's a lot more thoughts going on between those two clauses that prior critics may not have articulated.

Returning to the subject of the thread, in the G1 purist's mind, there's a much longer list of necessary factors to qualify for "pretty G1" -- factors they would feel were no-brainers. They would probably say, while Cullen's voice and Prime's head shape and the names are great, so little of that list was hit they wouldn't agree with calling the movie pretty G1 at all.

"Robots in Disguise" isn't really peculiar to G1 alone. And as for being in disguise from humans, I recall reading from somewhere that some fans (not necessarily G1 purists) were even upset that there were going to be any humans at all. As a purist myself, I don't consider the human involvement angle necessary. The producers stated that they felt it was though. I don't think it's a hindrance either. Anyhow, I'm not sure how the "robots in disguise" argument supports something being more G1 than any other subsequent continuity.

"Robots in Disguise" isn't really peculiar to G1 alone. And as for being in disguise from humans, I recall reading from somewhere that some fans (not necessarily G1 purists) were even upset that there were going to be any humans at all. As a purist myself, I don't consider the human involvement angle necessary. The producers stated that they felt it was though. I don't think it's a hindrance either. Anyhow, I'm not sure how the "robots in disguise" argument supports something being more G1 than any other subsequent continuity.

As far as the human angle goes, in case anyone (not necessarily you Glue) had blinders on during g1, but that was the way g1 was handled both in show an comic. Spike (and buster respectively) were our door into the universe of the Transformers. Yes we saw them on cybertron first, but it was through the interaction of the human characters that the TFs became more involved in the affairs of earth. I bet 2 out of 3 shows started with Spike driving around with one of the autobots before trouble started, at least through season 1. And anyone who read the g1 comic knows how huge a part Buster played in it, he carried the fricken matrix in his head and stuff.

No.

I hate it when people respond to a post with nothing but "No". It's like they're just dismissing the post because they feel it's not worth their time to give it a proper rebutal.

Archived