what paint should I use?

Gundam Kai

I'm wanting to paint alt Prime's truck mode in solid red (yea I'll be painting over the words and licence plate but ohwell), and I don't know whether to use krylon fusion or acrylics. Normally I don't like using acrylics since they chip when the plastic rubs together, but the truck mode parts don't do much of that. Help?

Fusion if you can get it is wondeful. Isn't Alt Prime pretty much solid red already. I mean the only non red parts in his alt mode at the truck bed, the grill, the lights, and the window. Unless your just talking about painting the tailgate. Don't really see why though.

Fusion if you can get it is wondeful. Isn't Alt Prime pretty much solid red already. I mean the only non red parts in his alt mode at the truck bed, the grill, the lights, and the window. Unless your just talking about painting the tailgate. Don't really see why though.

The bed area is a darker shade of red due to a mod that I did to it that you will see at some point. I have red krylon fusion and red acrylic but I'm still not sure which to use.

If any one has an Alt Camshaft or Prowl head I need one.

I would say use acrylics, always. Enamels, including Krylon, eat into the plastic in order to bond with it, and this can, and will, weaken the structural integrity of the plastic, and over time, can break down and destroy the plastic. There are a number of methods to prevent chipping of acrylics, including applying a top coat of Future floor polish. This method has been highly recommended by many kitbashers. The only reason why Acrylics chip is because, they don't chemically bond to the plastic, unlike enamels. Thus, the plastic's structural integrity remains intact. Also, enamels are only good on certain types of plastic and won't cure if applied to other types, such as urethane, vinyl, or PVC. Acrylics will adhere to, and properly cure on, all types of plastics.

I use and swear by Testors model masters spray paint. Easy to use and the finish is near perfect. Ask plowking or any of the others who have a couple of my custom jobs on here. Krylon stuff can't even compare to the finish. It was made for plastic models. Perfect fit and durable. Add a clear coat to it and you've got a winner.

Every kitbasher has his/her preference about the kind of paints (s)he uses and all have in their opinions good reasons why they use what they use.

I'm unable to get it myself, but so far I've heard almost only positive sounds about Krylon fusion. Many of the great kitbasher use it. Do make sure you read the instructions and follow them precisely.

Good luck with your project :thumb

Maybe, but when you have studied under a professional movie model maker, and he tells you that enamels will destroy the plastic, you might want to take that advice and not use enamels.

I use and swear by Testors model masters spray paint. Easy to use and the finish is near perfect. Ask plowking or any of the others who have a couple of my custom jobs on here. Krylon stuff can't even compare to the finish. It was made for plastic models. Perfect fit and durable. Add a clear coat to it and you've got a winner.

tramp: very good point

bluavenger: Sounds like good stuff but I can't use spray this time or else I'll end up with a solid red door or solid red windows which I don't need. If that stuff comes in bottle and brush paint lmk

I would say use acrylics, always. Enamels, including Krylon, eat into the plastic in order to bond with it, and this can, and will, weaken the structural integrity of the plastic, and over time, can break down and destroy the plastic. There are a number of methods to prevent chipping of acrylics, including applying a top coat of Future floor polish. This method has been highly recommended by many kitbashers. The only reason why Acrylics chip is because, they don't chemically bond to the plastic, unlike enamels. Thus, the plastic's structural integrity remains intact. Also, enamels are only good on certain types of plastic and won't cure if applied to other types, such as urethane, vinyl, or PVC. Acrylics will adhere to, and properly cure on, all types of plastics.

That might explain why when I tried Testor's silver enamel to paint the shoulder pads on my G.I. Joe Sigma 6 guys, it came out sticky and not good quality.

My only concern with this new information, and btw, this is not to get off-topic, but will acrylic paint in any way shape or form affect smooth transformation if applied to areas that include two parts touching together very tightly (but not connected). In other words, will it create gaps anywhere.

Archived