Wishful Thinking

Lord Atmo

while we've seen some new innovations in the movie concept designs thus far, and some great transformations and alt modes, ONE thing remains in my mind that i would love to see in a TF movie. and it has nothing to do with aircraft (sigh of relief, everyone). no.. this something is TRAINFORMERS! if there's ever a sequel to this movie, i would love to see at least one train featured as a transformer in it. not Astrotrain, but something that only has a locomotive as its alt mode

what do you guys think? with all the new stuff and huge "upgrade" to transformers, etc, wouldnt it be neat if we got a trainformer in the next movie? i'm sure there would be a way to write its alt mode's use into the plot or something. sound interesting?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not against train transformers as a general rule, but I am instantly weary of the limitability of the alt mode (needs rails, can't steer, no weapons) vs. the world I think they're setting these movies in.

If the train alt. mode were used, it would almost certainly require the plot to be structured around that choice of alt. mode...which is not impossible.

To wit, I saw someone on another board suggested rewriting Astrotrain's character for a sequel so that he's not a triplechanger (which I also don't think works in this movie world) but a Decepticon who, because of the Decepticon's natural disgust for Earth, picks a random Earth mode (in this case, a train) without doing his homework and winds up with a useless alt. mode that's the subject of much comedy. By the end of the film, he's abandoned the train for a space shuttle (perhaps a made-up one with military capabilities) that's much more powerful and useful.

Something like that could work, but I'd expect the filmmakers to stick with characters whose alt. modes that don't limit the story in specific ways without a much bigger pay-off. For example, I'd love to see the Decepticons point that Allspark at an aircraft carrier in the sequel. Watching something that immense transform in the harbor, and then step up onto land would be the coolest thing on film ever.

Plus, he could realistically carry them all around in alt. mode.

well... there ARE auto trains out there too. there's even a special freight car designed to carry automobiles. so using a train as a transport would have its plusses. most railroads go through the middle and nowhere in between 2 cities. and if they had to get off the trains and transform because of a decepticon attack, they would probably not be seen because of how distant most railroads are.

i would love it if there was a way to get one written into the plot with little or no difficulty. i'm sure there's a way.

aircraft carrier. awesome indeed. i'd love to see an oil tanker or one of those great lakes ships as a TF. those ships are HUGE! bigger than carriers i think. i dont know how long an aircraft carrier is

Astrotrain may work, but just a train alt mode? Wouldn't work IMO.

Triple changes could be cool if done properly. :clap

And for the love of G-D atmo, make your sig smaller it stretches my browser something awful

meh... hang on

i'd rather the bot just became a train so that he'd have hints of only train parts on his bot mode. gives a better nod to the trainformers

what a great scene:

"oh no - they're after us!"

"who?"

"trainformertronoplexiconibotomus!!!111!!!"

"which way does the track lead?"

"left"

"go right"

"OH SNAP!!!"

if you see what i mean?

well see, my idea is the train fights in robot mode, but he's a transport in alt mode. he tows a train that the other TFs ride on to travel a really great distance. i like hobbes's idea with the astrotrain scan of the train at first and then a shuttle later. maybe at the end or something

well see, my idea is the train fights in robot mode, but he's a transport in alt mode. he tows a train that the other TFs ride on to travel a really great distance. i like hobbes's idea with the astrotrain scan of the train at first and then a shuttle later. maybe at the end or something

The problem is, even as a transport, he's pretty limited. Trains only go so many places, and how many of those could reasonably be strategically important to Transformers?

Also, I don't know for sure, but it seems like the rails are busy, and the train schedules would either keep the Autobots from using the rail system from getting to the 'Cons quickly or force the 'Cons to waste resources and draw unwanted attention to themselves by clearing the path of oncoming trains.

I think the only feasible use of a train alt. mode in a story point would be incredibly contrived ("How lucky that this secret government power plant is only accessible by train! I'm so glad one of us turns into one") or so comedic a point that you might not like the final product ("Ha, ha! Astrotrain sucks! He's completely useless in his alt. mode!" *cue snaredrum*).

Archived