Take the show away from them

CdnShockwave

I know I'm going to get a lot of heated comments about this post, but this needs to be said. Face it, we have not had a decent Transformers show since BW ended. (BM was good in my opinion, way better than RiD, Armada, or Energon, but I know no one will agree with me on that) The problem is a combination of the Japanese and Ocean Group or whoever is dubbing it. With Japan, I don't think they can do a TF show the way we want it. They're too kiddie and childish for me. Now, I know some of you will say 'it's only a kids show', and that's true, but so was BW and it was F***ING AWSOME. There has been a steady downhill slide starting with RiD, which was ok, Armada, which sucked, and Energon, which started ok but is now sliding down into the Armada dumpster. The people who are currently making the TF shows in Japan JUST CAN'T DO IT RIGHT. The Japanese ARE capable of making a good TF series, look at all the awsome anime we get. The company who made RiD, Armada, and Energon (I'm pretty sure they're the same company, but I could be wrong) just can't get it right. Another problem facing fans is that Transformers' target audience is 3-6 yearolds if I'm not mistaken. This is a mistake though. The target audience should be 5-13. Granted I know nothing of the demographics or stats, this is just my opinion.

Now onto the North American side of the problem. I'm pretty sure that Ocean Group is dubbing it, but that doesn't matter. The fact is is the dubbing SUCKS. I'm not blaming the voice actors, because we know what they are capable of, just look at BW. I blame the voice directors and the people who write the English script.

TF needs someone who can actually do a decent job. My opinion is that whoever is in charge of the show is cheap. We need a North American written, animated (my personal favourite is Mainframe), and recorded show. Again, I'm not saying that the Japanese can't make good shows, I love anime, but they just can't seem to do it right with TF.

There, I've said what needed to be said. You can throw me to the wolves now if you want, but the basic fact is that my opinions are reasonable. Just to end on a REALLY controversial note, anyone who thought RiD, Armada, or Energon was better than G1 or BW needs to make an appointment to have a brain transplanted into the otherwise empty void in his skull. (keep in mind I'm trying to stir up debate here, so don't take it personally)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i happen to agree with you on the quality of the scripts. i don't know the origins of these storylines, so i can't comment on that, but i do agree that they are very watered down and bland. i started to notice this with power rangers, everyepisode was an intro for a new toy. and these new cartoons don't have much of an edge, you kind of expect them to end every episode with all the characters holding hands for a sing along.

RiD sucked. Armada was ok, but the English script needed SERIOUS overhaul (and probably should've been handed over to somebody whose first language was, maybe, ENGLISH..), and Energon has only been on for 3 episodes. You can't possibly guage all 52 on that. From what I've been reading, it just gets better, particularly with the return of Megatron in episode 6.

Granted, the retarded monkeys who are writing the English script will probably seriously maim it, but.. *shrug*

From what I understand, G1 was as good as it was because it was written here and animated in Japan, rather than imported and dubbed into English. (I may have misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read)

Beast Wars was a simply FANTASTIC 'toon, and if Beast Machines hadn't gone so deep into the 'spiritual' and 'technorganic' crap, it would've just gotten better. (I used to complain that Cybertron does -not- have a freakin' organic core, but apparently, the Quintessons built Cyberton on the remains of a planetoid.. but wasn't that planetoid dead and barren at the time?)

BM's art and animation (except for those stupid 'solid' explosions and fires) was leagues beyond BW's, but the "Quest to Return The Organic to Cybertron" was just too heavy-handed and self-limiting to work.

I sincerely hope that whatever comes after Energon gets handed over to Mainframe, or someone as talented. It won't happen, due to the ongoing quest for cash at the expense of all else, but I think the American and Japanese TF toon series should be seperate, since Japan is so big on the exaggerated, distinctly anime-stylized, pose-for-the-camera transformation animations and Street Fighter-esque shout-your-attack crap, while the rest of us appear to want good English script-writing and more realistic animation.

Just like all those "life simulations" and "virtual pet" games that are so incredibly popular in Japan would almost certainly bomb here (except for niche markets), the same principle applies as far as TF cartoons, I think.

G1 = Awsome

Beast Wars = Beyond Awsome, especially near the end.

Beast Machines = Egh, story took alot of the love out of the cartoon.

RID = Not good, they never seemed to take anything seriously.

Armada = OK, It would have been nice if the writers could have atleast gotten the characters names right. Plus poor scripts in the begining.

Energon = Has potential, but already there is to much play on the grown up kids.

G1 rocked due to the limited human interaction.

BW & BM did not have this element at all, except BW with the Primitive Humans.

RID Koji sucks, and someone should have made that whinney little brat shut up.

Armada needed to be more like G1, it had potential, but due to a slow moving story, and character names getting screwed up, it was a flop.

Energon has potential, but there already seems to be to much of the human element involved. I could handle just kicker but the armada kids too? I hope Energon blows everyones expectations out of the water, but atleast it will be better then Armada.

WHOA! I think there is one reason why shows seem to be worse nowadays. Well actually 2, but they're basically the same

We're growing up. Everything that you like as a kid, you like again as an adult, and you feel like the children of the current generation are getting robbed. EVERY generation feels like they grew up in the best time and feels like the current stuff doesn't compare. Kids now will grow up thinking Armada and Energon set the bar for TF's, and they won't like future stuff. It just happens that way.

Ok, we're getting some messed up scripts these days...but they seem to be smartening up. Look at the Unicron Battles. That was some complex, in-depth, suspenseful drama storytelling. It was awesome. Energon has a very complex story that they seemed to pile too much of on us at once, but now its starting to smooth out. Hopefully it will end up awesome. The idea of having a set show for near simultaneous airing in both Japan and America is good. It allows for both countries to get the same stuff at the same time, and gets rid of any of the annoying "rhino should

I agree with DL Prime for the most part. However, I do think G1 was animated in the US, but he movie was done in Japan. And I'm pretty sure the Sims is already pretty huge in the US. RID was slightly entertaining and a lot more fun than Armada. Armada was riddled with technical problems and the scripts were horrible. I don't think it ever even got close to good. So far, I'm quite pleased with Energon. It seems action packed, along with transformers actually getting hit by gunshots. I know that no one ever got hit with anything in RID and it seldom happened with Armada. A Cyclonus screaming surrounded by a circle of gunfire comes to mind. The story that their building off of Armada seems really good too. Too bad Armada is the source of this though. I'd just like to forget it, personally.

I agree with DL Prime for the most part. However, I do think G1 was animated in the US, but he movie was done in Japan. And I'm pretty sure the Sims is already pretty huge in the US. RID was slightly entertaining and a lot more fun than Armada. Armada was riddled with technical problems and the scripts were horrible. I don't think it ever even got close to good. So far, I'm quite pleased with Energon. It seems action packed, along with transformers actually getting hit by gunshots. I know that no one ever got hit with anything in RID and it seldom happened with Armada. A Cyclonus screaming surrounded by a circle of gunfire comes to mind. The story that their building off of Armada seems really good too. Too bad Armada is the source of this though. I'd just like to forget it, personally.

Not THAT kinda "life simulation". Simulators that simulate mundane, everyday things. Like a first-person simulation of going to work, or school, or a tea-party.

Archived