Optimus in Toyfare #116

Hadlen Weltall

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i flipped through this in the comic store - nothing in this issue that i need. and no optimus pics we havent already seen.

BTW - the head mold on this optimus really bothers me.. i dont know why - but it doesnt look like the movie version.

and the wheels on the hips bother me less and less.. but i still hope they can fold up or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things that concern me about that Optimus Prime in ToyFare...

1/ Where's the chrome? I certainly hope this is just a prototype and that the final product will have chrome... if not, it makes me wonder if the Japanese version will have chrome.

2/ The legs look rather shellformer.

3/ The colours on the arms, shoulder and chest don't match the movie model. This toy is just asking to be trounced on by fans wanting movie-accuracy in their toy.

The overall sculpt seems a bit simplistic compared to the movie model, but I'm presuming that this toy is on a smaller size scale like Deluxe or Basic, in which case I could understand the simplification. On anything that was Voyager/Mega size or above I would expect greater level of detail and higher fidelity toward the movie model.

No, this is the large version. I'm actually expecting a bit more from the smaller versions, as sometimes smaller Transformers have more detail for some reason.

That's not to say I won't get this one, though.

Then my guess is that this is based on an earlier concept model for the movie Prime.

Remembering that it takes about a year to develop a Transformer toy from concept to finished product, often these toys are based on earlier designs which can lead to them differing from the final product.

We saw the same thing with some of the 1986 figures that were designed on characters that appeared in Transformers The Movie, e.g.: Hot Rod, Kup, Cyclonus, Galvatron etc. - despite the fact that these toys were developed concurrently with the movie models, we did end up with discrepancies in appearance between the movie and toys. A similar thing happened with Beast Machines only the other way around - with the show models based on earlier concept designs for the toys, but by time the toys were finished they looked quite different but it was already too late to change the show models since Hasbro rushed Mainframe to have BM ready to air around the same time that the toys would hit shelves.

We'll most likely see some more movie-accurate toys later down the track. I'm not terribly keen on having multiple versions of the same character - I don't mind having a separate Optimus Prime for the Protoform and truck form, but there should only be one toy for each of those incarnations. But what I typically do with movie toys is that I'll just pick my favourite version and stick just with that one rather than trying to collect all of them.

I'm REALLY starting to like that Bumblebee..... :redface

The more I see of bigass electronic prime the easier it is for me to wait until voyager pics surface.

I really don't need a Unicron sized movie prime. The voyager even if it is no bigger than Classics prime should suffice just fine. I don't even mind that the chest is fake. Classics prime isn't much different in scale than Cybertron Scattorshot & that IMO is perfect for a leader class TF. Even if the alt isn't much large than a deluxe the robot mold should still look decent & be in scale with most of the other TFs in any line. :clap

:schin June 2nd? My birthday is June 3rd...

Archived