Musings on the movie

prime idiot

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General public knows that there was a small yellow robot which transforms into a car, and a big grey guy as bad guy leader. That's it.

And I know this from conversations with my friends, who happen to be my age, and even liked Transformers back then. So, I think this "Bumblebee is supposed to be a Volkswagen!"-talk within theaters isn;t that likely to happen.

General public knows that there was a small yellow robot which transforms into a car, and a big grey guy as bad guy leader. That's it.

And I know this from conversations with my friends, who happen to be my age, and even liked Transformers back then. So, I think this "Bumblebee is supposed to be a Volkswagen!"-talk within theaters isn;t that likely to happen.

Just about everyone here has G1 fresh in their minds, whether because of a toy collection or DVDs or comics or whatever. But this really isn't the case for the general moviegoing public, many of whom haven't thought about Transformers in 20 years, if at all. And I have the feeling that they would think it nitpicking and/or irrelevant to say "Bumblebee was a VW Beetle in the toy line" etc.

Just about everyone here has G1 fresh in their minds, whether because of a toy collection or DVDs or comics or whatever. But this really isn't the case for the general moviegoing public, many of whom haven't thought about Transformers in 20 years, if at all. And I have the feeling that they would think it nitpicking and/or irrelevant to say "Bumblebee was a VW Beetle in the toy line" etc.

I was at an off-site location for work the other night, and someone there noticed the Autobot symbol on my shirt, and he asked if I'd heard about the upcoming movie, and he said he was HUGE Transformers fan back in the day, and that they better not change much.

Then, he says, and I quote, "Man, I remember everything from that show. Like that guy with the dog jumpin' outta his chest."

I paused for a moment, trying, for the life of me, to remember a dog character...then, when it clicked with me what he was talking about, I said, "Oh, you mean Soundwave."

"Yeah, you remember now. Took you a minute, though. Man, if that big black dog ain't poppin' out and Blot, I'll be pissed. You don't screw with that dog."

"Well, one character in the movie'll pop out a scorpion," I replied.

"A scorpion? Man, it's supposed to be, like, a wolf. You can't just not make it a dog."

I just nodded and told him to check out the trailer online.

I was at an off-site location for work the other night, and someone there noticed the Autobot symbol on my shirt, and he asked if I'd heard about the upcoming movie, and he said he was HUGE Transformers fan back in the day, and that they better not change much.

Then, he says, and I quote, "Man, I remember everything from that show. Like that guy with the dog jumpin' outta his chest."

I paused for a moment, trying, for the life of me, to remember a dog character...then, when it clicked with me what he was talking about, I said, "Oh, you mean Soundwave."

"Yeah, you remember now. Took you a minute, though. Man, if that big black dog ain't poppin' out and Blot, I'll be pissed. You don't screw with that dog."

"Well, one character in the movie'll pop out a scorpion," I replied.

"A scorpion? Man, it's supposed to be, like, a wolf. You can't just not make it a dog."

I just nodded and told him to check out the trailer online.

Yes, I have two options in tose situations that I usually take.

1: Either I nod and ignore;

2: I fire of a stream of inside-knowledge fan-info at the guy, that he's struck complete silent out of sheer amazement, after which I clamly walk away, satisfied with the knowledge that I shattered another pretend TF-fan's illusions of 'Hey, I know Transformers!'.

I usually play dumb and kinda guide them towards a more enlightened answer.

like - oh yeah but i think he was a jaguar. and i guess its ok if they use a scorpion remember that really cool one that was as big as a city and his hea turned into a robot??

I dont think we have to worry about Joe So average public not liking the film because the designs are different. A lot of people who claim to be big 80s fans seem to remember Optimus Prime transforming into a plane (maybe a super fan can dig that one up, maybe they got mixed up with Leader-1 from Gobots) and think Armada and G1 are the same thing.

I remember telling my friends that Hot rod was pink and orange, they insist his name is Hot Shot and is yellow.

Archived