MP3 player Soundwave.

TMan978

Will a card that is used strictly for music automatically become formatted as such, or does it take an effort on the users behalf to set such an option up through a computer system? Reason this question is brought up is that if those who ordered mini SD's find out that Soundwave will likely have a wide enough storage unit internalized, will the card then still be able to be used for digital cameras and the such? Waste not, want not... :thumb

I can answer some of this - most MP3 players (i am not sure about iPods specifically) come with a standard 512MB on board.

The amount of music one can fit depends on a few things but specifically compression rate. 320kbps is standard CD quality. But most music you find on the internet is 128 (ie less than half that quality).

My MP3 player at 512MB storage and 320kbps music (i wasnt about to go and recompress all my music.. but if you are starting from scratch and the MP3 is all you will use it for - you might consider the lower bitrate.) held 75 songs.

So to get other numbers just start doubling - 140 songs on a 1Gig card. etc.

Keeping in mind that you can also get more in by compressing the music as well.

As for the formatting - its pretty much already formatted. Infact, if you connect your MP3 player to your computer, you should be able to just drag and drop files into it.

including Word files, pictures, movies etc. It really becomes just a storage unit.

BTW - if you drag a word document into your MP3 player thats great to carry it around but most players wont actually read that file, just store it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are just too picky. Just think back to how much the Reissue Soundwave retail was at? $50 bucks and it doesnt actually do anything. How many times have fans been wanting a new Soundwave that does something? Also you guys need to learn to shop better. a 1gb micro sd card (whihc has a miniSD adapter with it) can be bought for as low as $10. and I dont mean no-name crap cards. Kingston had a sale at Frys and some online places. You jsut need to shop around. SD cards are the cheapest when compared to the other types like Memsticks.

For $100, why are we buying seperate memory cards?

Maybe because having a chest cavity with a door that opens and plays little cartridges that contain music is what Soundwave is all about?

Ipods use miniature hard drives, in sizes 20, 30, or I think 40 gigs. They're not really the best thing to compare with players that use memory cards.

(I currently have 3875 songs on mine at CD quality, using up around 20 gigs. So, I would expect to fit somewhat less than 100 songs on a half-gig card, depending rather hugely on the length of the songs. So, what HunterRose said.)

And I was guessing that the front panel was going to be an LCD display, to tell you what song you were on and so forth. Just a guess, mind you.

You guys are just too picky. Just think back to how much the Reissue Soundwave retail was at? $50 bucks and it doesnt actually do anything. How many times have fans been wanting a new Soundwave that does something? Also you guys need to learn to shop better. a 1gb micro sd card (whihc has a miniSD adapter with it) can be bought for as low as $10. and I dont mean no-name crap cards. Kingston had a sale at Frys and some online places. You jsut need to shop around. SD cards are the cheapest when compared to the other types like Memsticks.

For $100, why are we buying seperate memory cards?

Maybe because having a chest cavity with a door that opens and plays little cartridges that contain music is what Soundwave is all about?

Duh. I meant why should we have to instead of getting memory included in the $100 Price.

Will a card that is used strictly for music automatically become formatted as such, or does it take an effort on the users behalf to set such an option up through a computer system? Reason this question is brought up is that if those who ordered mini SD's find out that Soundwave will likely have a wide enough storage unit internalized, will the card then still be able to be used for digital cameras and the such? Waste not, want not... :thumb

I can answer some of this - most MP3 players (i am not sure about iPods specifically) come with a standard 512MB on board.

The amount of music one can fit depends on a few things but specifically compression rate. 320kbps is standard CD quality. But most music you find on the internet is 128 (ie less than half that quality).

My MP3 player at 512MB storage and 320kbps music (i wasnt about to go and recompress all my music.. but if you are starting from scratch and the MP3 is all you will use it for - you might consider the lower bitrate.) held 75 songs.

So to get other numbers just start doubling - 140 songs on a 1Gig card. etc.

Keeping in mind that you can also get more in by compressing the music as well.

As for the formatting - its pretty much already formatted. Infact, if you connect your MP3 player to your computer, you should be able to just drag and drop files into it.

including Word files, pictures, movies etc. It really becomes just a storage unit.

BTW - if you drag a word document into your MP3 player thats great to carry it around but most players wont actually read that file, just store it.

as far as compression goes, go with VBR over CBR. for the most part you can't tell the difference between a 192kbps average VBR and a 320kbps CBR and they are almost half the size.

if your downloading music i'd suggest nothing under 192kbps CBR if it can be helped, at least as far as newer recordings go, HOWEVER 128kbps CBR is a fine choice when it comes to music who's source is either from an older recording medium (most LP's and Cassettes) or of a low production quality (early albums produced by amature, or demo's are good examples of this). i've found for my personal preference that almost anything under 128kbps CBR is unlistenable and should only be used for spoken word sources.

obviously the lower the quality, the less the space so there isn't really an answer for the "how much music does this player hold?" question.

as for downloaded music quality, that varies greatly depending on the source. scene releases are 192kbps CBR MINIMUM. the majority of scene releases are 320kbps average VBR. releases via torrent usually follow the same guidelines although there are acceptions. downloads via P2P are normaly of inferior quality, P2P also tends to be flooded with false music files and incomplete albums / tracks.

now, to make this post conform to site rules, it does NOT encourage nor condone illegal trading of pirated music. downloading mp3s should only be done as a means to have a digital copy of music you already own. in the event that the digital music file is for evaluation purposes remember to destroy the file after 24hrs.

Anybody know for sure why the "glass door" look?

because it's soundwave? ... just a guess...

N'kay, back to the SD cards: I'm not so much a techno geek when it comes to terms, so how many songs can fit upon a 4gb card? As such, how many songs does an iPod or an MP3 music player hold on it's own without upgrades ?

alrighty, we've already touched on this, but for comparative reasons.....

Entire Cannibal Corpse Discography, 20 albums, 263 songs, 1.30 GB

Mostly Complete Metallica Discography, 12 Albums, (roughtly) 170 songs, 1.03 GB

Entire Cradle of Filth Discography, 24 albums, 260 Songs, 1.95 GB

Entire Bass Mekanik Disvography, 9 albums, 648 tracks (it's a technicality), 1.19 GB

Mostly Complete Eminem Discography, 12 albums (incl bonus cds), (roughtly) 207 songs, 0.98 GB

as you can see, the number of songs/albums you can fit varies greatly, not only by the quality, but also the type of music (hence the usage of 5 completely differen genres) as that greatly influences the general length of a track. Most of what is listed above is a quality of 192kbps or above, i'd be willing to say 90%, the other 10% are various demos, bootlegs, and hard to find albums.

simply put, how much music can you fit onto a 4gb card? a Powerglideing TON

How miniature is "mini SD card" entailing? 1"? 1/2"? No bigger than a cell phone's sim card? Size people... sometimes it DOES matter!

c194038call1capr1.jpg

Will a card that is used strictly for music automatically become formatted as such, or does it take an effort on the users behalf to set such an option up through a computer system? Reason this question is brought up is that if those who ordered mini SD's find out that Soundwave will likely have a wide enough storage unit internalized, will the card then still be able to be used for digital cameras and the such? Waste not, want not...

it's like hunter said, the memory card isn't peripheral specific. many peripherals can interchange the same exact card with no consequence other than a full memory card.

Onto the battery situation: who's to REALLY say that it's going to need an outside source for power... other than a wall charging unit? iPods are very slender items that have their own battery storage unit inside of themselves and require an outlet to plug them in for their charging. Why can that NOT be an option in this "somewhat" bulky, yet updated and miniature version of Soundwave? I do only see the port for the earphones though, who is to say that there won't be DRASTIC changes to the overall look since the images shown are kind of "proto" shots ? For one, I'm hoping that the power will be done using an already pre-installed battery system.

the huge downside to the ipod battery is that if it goes bad you can't replace, apple has to, and thats the problem with internal batteries. alot of time they parpherial specific so even purchasing a spare can be quite costly. on the other hand you can buy a GOOD set of rechargable NiMH batteries and an NiMH battery recharger for half the cost, usualy 4 batteries and the charger cost $14 and up, while you can pick up a 12 pack of batteries only for $14. when considering rechargable batteries check the mAh rating, the higher the rating the longer they'll last and the better they'll be. to give an example, if you put standard alkaline batteries in our digital camera, they'll last through maybe 15 photos w/ flash. however, with a set of 2500 mAh batteries, i can't keep track of how many pictures i've taken, they last a REALLY long time, and in the event that they do die, they charge in 2 - 4 hours.

Hope this brings up some more serious discussions about this great looking toy/collectors item/MP3 player. I'll be lurking for the answers later and might chime in with more questions if they come forth...

i'll help ya all i can, feel free to ask away. if i had the spare change i'd deffinatly pick one up, i'm a SW nut, but i'm put off greatly due to the size, and the fear that this might be an apple product (yea... i'm a microshaft guy), but even given those, if i had the $100 to drop, i'd do it without a sweat.

I've got the Soundwave pre-ordered, but i'm waiting for better pics of the head phone Frenzy/Rumble pair before I drop the 35 on them. For the Soundwave though I think I might get a low memory card jsut to put soundclips on so he can speak movie lines:) And from little I can see in the rough pics of hte headphones I think they may come off, I mean it looks like the robots cna disconnect from the actual headphone, I could be wrong but looks that way to me at the moment.

I know some of what's making this toy 100 bucks is the fact that it's an import but are people reading that it has a SD card slot but no SD card. This makes it sketchy as to if it has internal memory. Plus it doesn't have a rechargable battery. So, you gotta shell out 100 + for Soundwave. Then go out and buy a $46 1gb memory card and then buy a rechargable battery pack or keep buying batteries every time they run out. I think we all may just be better off glueing the new iPod Shuffle to our existing Soundwaves and calling it a day.

It's a nice new mold and gimmick but I don't think it's worth it. What are you guys gonna chose?

:rofl :rofl :rofl

You know, the battery thing is the same gripe I have about the Nintendo Wii? There should have been a rechargable battery standard of this guy too. I would have shelled out the extra $20- 40 for that AND a DvD player. That iPod Shuffel is sounding pretty cool for Soundwave right about now. :tflaugh

I've got the Soundwave pre-ordered, but i'm waiting for better pics of the head phone Frenzy/Rumble pair before I drop the 35 on them. For the Soundwave though I think I might get a low memory card jsut to put soundclips on so he can speak movie lines:) And from little I can see in the rough pics of hte headphones I think they may come off, I mean it looks like the robots cna disconnect from the actual headphone, I could be wrong but looks that way to me at the moment.

I dont think he in and of himself has speakers - so he likely wont be saying a whole lot.

But if you look at Mine and Buddy Killer's descriptions - you will also notice that you could probably fit EVERY line of dialogue SW has ever spoken AND THEN SOME!

and still have lots of room - even on the smallest of memory cards.

Archived