Save the classics!

bluestreak1701

I personally lovethe classics line and find it to be the only mainstream line other than alternators I've wanted to collect in years. But,despite the demise of alternators, at least it had a good innings over the 4-5 years. Classics however seems to be getting cut short very prematurely due to its status as a filler line, although this is mainly down to the impending release of the movie toy line.

In a nutshell, all those fans who want more classics should campaign for the line to continue end of this year when the movie hype has died down and the shelves are getting bare again. Classics has shown not only to have the right balance with the original fans (being a G1 homage) but also appeals to the newer fan base through good and unique designs. (out of the 15 Deluxe/Voyager figures released, 12 of them are individual molds)

Although there are certain figures from A/E/C who could be repainted/molded easily into other classics figures, after the response to Classics devastator it would be a shame for the line to go downhill that way. Lets face it, when they can remold a purpose-designed classics figure 7 times (i.e. seekers) and have an almost guaranteed sale from every one, why not do it?? So how about getting a campaign going to save the classics line and let Hasbro know that there are enough people interested to make it worth their while. Anyone with any webspace that would be willing to get an online petition or similar going please do so, and everyone that can please sign it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno... I liked Classics at first (and still like the idea), but I only ever ended up buying a couple, that being Bumblebee and Hot Rod. Optimus and Megs weren't doing it for me, I already had RM Starscream, and Astrotrain was the wrong color. By the time they got to Grimlock, Mirage, and Jetfire, which I had previously been looking forward to, I had pretty much lost interest. I might be more inclined to collect these things if they kept the line going, though. A whole shelf of redone G1ers would look a whole lot better than a couple of one-offs stuck in with my AEC stuff, most of which I've sold anyway.

I dunno... I liked Classics at first (and still like the idea), but I only ever ended up buying a couple, that being Bumblebee and Hot Rod. Optimus and Megs weren't doing it for me, I already had RM Starscream, and Astrotrain was the wrong color. By the time they got to Grimlock, Mirage, and Jetfire, which I had previously been looking forward to, I had pretty much lost interest. I might be more inclined to collect these things if they kept the line going, though. A whole shelf of redone G1ers would look a whole lot better than a couple of one-offs stuck in with my AEC stuff, most of which I've sold anyway.

But waitaminit...

RM Starscream is nice and all - but in no way does he compare to the Classics Seekers. They may LOOK similar, but the engineering and articulation alone are charts above the RM seekers. (I have both sets)....

The line continues to get better as it progresses - Jetfire, Mirage, Grimlock, and now Ramjet are all beyond awesome, and with little added "tweaks" that I seem to give most of these guys the coolness factor just shoots way up.

I would continue to have interest in this line as long as they sold awesome figures like these. :)

I don't think the Seekers would be as much of "a guaranteed sale" as everyone (me included) believes they'd be. I'd LOVE to see the Seekers () but do you really think kids would buy them? I know us collectors would, but would a kid want 6 almost identical jets to play with? I know some would (the ones who are forced encouraged to watch G1 'toons by their parents, the ones who like to complete teams they collect, etc) but I think the vast majority wouldn't bother with them.

I don't think the Seekers would be as much of "a guaranteed sale" as everyone (me included) believes they'd be. I'd LOVE to see the Seekers () but do you really think kids would buy them? I know us collectors would, but would a kid want 6 almost identical jets to play with? I know some would (the ones who are forced encouraged to watch G1 'toons by their parents, the ones who like to complete teams they collect, etc) but I think the vast majority wouldn't bother with them.

From that angle I guess not - they may be a better big kids toy. But if they were timed right (i.e. a year after the previous 3 were released and at least one of them as part of a Vs set like skywarp) then the sale could be more or less guaranteed. Planes with firing projectiles should go down well enough with the younger generation, especially if dirge and thrust were remolds with new colour schemes like ramjet. One other thing I noticed about the classics and really like (and I don't honestly know if this has been the case for previous lines such as A/E/C so please correct me) is that all the figures have a place to store the weapons in alt mode, unlike their G1 counterparts. (remember the seekers landing gear and fists!!)

...and let Hasbro know that there are enough people interested to make it worth their while.

But there's not. As much as I love my Classics toys, and I do, it's gotta end. We've got what should be the biggest event in Transformers franchise history coming this summer, and a cartoon designed to follow that event debuting in the fall.

There won't be any interest in Classics from the main market for the line, the kids, once they've got the option to pick up toys of the Transformers they see on both the big and small screen.

The fandom isn't big enough to support a line on its own. But, it's better the Classics line goes out with us wanting more, rather than being beaten into the ground and outliving its welcome.

If Classics continued, I could only see it being viable as a sort of Universe redux... repaints galore. Although I don't know how far along in production the rumored Jazz / Sideswipe / Sunstreaker / Cosmos molds might be.

There's going to be SO much movie merchandise that between that and "Heroes" it might be a very crowded field, even leaving Classics out of the equation.

well, i think if played out right. this line could rock.

this is the chance for welcomed repaints if done correctly. they could do it like rm and let us vote.

also, i would love for wally world to pick up the seacons. that would rock!!!!

the line will continue to rock if hasbro can find it within themselves to properly remold and or size expand certain figures from the previous toylines.

for example cyb red alert swindle and armorhide could make for a sweet trailbreaker and or hoist, beachcomber and huffer and or pipes

now for superion maximus switch one limb for a helicoptor limb and make one warthog limb a rocket or a space shuttle.

i could see that combiner team passing for a more modern day take on the airealbots

Archived