Classics Magnus

Hadlen Weltall

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
close, but he should have built up the legs more, he looks too much like an elf or something.

You can't build up the legs more. Remember, this still has to function as a car carrier, if the deck were any higher, it would be too high to function in that capacity. And, since the boots are attached to the exsisting robot's legs, lengthening the thighs is also impossible.

Also remember, this is armor that attaches to the existing robot, not a "super mode". As such, it has to conform to the robot's exsisting proportions. Even the helmet fits over the existing robot's head; it doesn't replace it. Secondly, armor doesn't add much heigth to the wearer, if any; it does add a lot of bulk to the wearer though. Put on a suit of armor and measure yourself, in both height and girth, both before donning the armor and iwhile wearing it, and then tell me which has increased more, your height or your girth. Powered armors will add the most bulk, and some height, because of all the servos, hydraulics. amd power supplies needed to function. However, as a rule, they still rely on the wearer's own proportions. Any height gained is usually a result of the lower legs and feet being bigger, not from the thighs. Not only that, but if the armor were any slimmer, it would't be able to carry any of the Classics Autobots, because they wouldn't fit between the uprights. The deck would be too narrow. As it stands, it is a tight fit for BB abnd Cliffjumper; and Hotrod has to sit at the end, because his spoiler won't fit between the uprights, while Mirage has to ride on the upper deck because his rear wheels won't fit between the uprights. If you mkae the armor slimmer, the deck too would be narrower, and none of the Autobot cars would fit.

Remember, form has to follow function, not the other way around. I woun't sacrifice funtionality for aesthetics.

There are no other attachment points on the legs. As such, in order to make the "boots" attach any differently, would require modification to the robot itself, which defeats the whole purpose of designing armor that can attach to an unmodified Classics Ultra Magnus. The only way to have longer legs is if the trailer had its own built in set of complete legs with their own thighs like Powermaster Prime's. But if you do that, you have a "Super mode" not armor, and building a super mode is alot harder than armor, since it requires alot more engineering. You have to design all the joints for the hips, knees, and ankles, as well as figure out a new way to connect the robot into the suit. With this design, the only joints I needed to figure out were the shoulders, elbows, and wrists, as well as the various hinge points for transformation. Figuring out how to attach the armor was the easy part. The lower legs of the armor are more than long enough. One guy over at Transtopia suggested using Magnus' lower legs as his armor mode thighs by turning the legs around backwards. I told him that I had already considered that option and rejected it. First off, he would lose too much articulation and they wouldn't look right. If all you did were turn the lower legs around backwards, then the wheels and the flaps covering them would be in the insde, and the legs would be bowed. If you turned the entire lower torso around, it causes other issues, and the wheels still kill the look. it would also mean no backwards articulation and the connection of the boots would be very weak given that only a single small post would hold them onto the robot's feet. At least here, there is a sturrup over his toes as well as a post keeping the boots on. Believe me, I put alot of thought into the design, to work out all the bugs, both before I started construction, and during.

There are no other attachment points on the legs. As such, in order to make the "boots" attach any differently, would require modification to the robot itself, which defeats the whole purpose of designing armor that can attach to an unmodified Classics Ultra Magnus. The only way to have longer legs is if the trailer had its own built in set of complete legs with their own thighs like Powermaster Prime's. But if you do that, you have a "Super mode" not armor, and building a super mode is alot harder than armor, since it requires alot more engineering. You have to design all the joints for the hips, knees, and ankles, as well as figure out a new way to connect the robot into the suit. With this design, the only joints I needed to figure out were the shoulders, elbows, and wrists, as well as the various hinge points for transformation. Figuring out how to attach the armor was the easy part. The lower legs of the armor are more than long enough. One guy over at Transtopia suggested using Magnus' lower legs as his armor mode thighs by turning the legs around backwards. I told him that I had already considered that option and rejected it. First off, he would lose too much articulation and they wouldn't look right. If all you did were turn the lower legs around backwards, then the wheels and the flaps covering them would be in the insde, and the legs would be bowed. If you turned the entire lower torso around, it causes other issues, and the wheels still kill the look. it would also mean no backwards articulation and the connection of the boots would be very weak given that only a single small post would hold them onto the robot's feet. At least here, there is a sturrup over his toes as well as a post keeping the boots on. Believe me, I put alot of thought into the design, to work out all the bugs, both before I started construction, and during.

He was just suggesting that there might be another way to attach the legs.

No need to flame :wave

That was no flame, just a straignt forward response answering the issues he brought up.

Not at all. I welcome such constructive criticism. It pushes me to improve my skills. All I did was explain to him, in detail, why I didn't go that route. You are reading things into my statement that aren't there.

blows pop out nose from laughing so hard.

focroflmao

im sorry people but that so totally has a deformers look to it.

oh man that is rich

im not mocking the guy but damn that is just so hilariouse

oh god my ribs are killing me.

Ok, well we've read your ideas and projects, where's your pics?

Oh yeah... :redface

Archived