look at these

Lord Atmo

armadawasfarfromsleek

I guess I don't get it. I love G1 Starscream too. He's a great character. But for some reason I'm not at all upset that Movie Starscream doesn't physically resemble him. Maybe I never expected it, I don't know. But it really just doesn't matter to me. Which is why it's so frustrating for me to listen to all this angst about "OMG THIS IS WRONG". I don't see the problem. It's not like this movie, or any movie, could ever capture G1 (and my long-since-passed adolescence) in a bottle and put it on a big screen. And I don't expect it to.

I absolutely agree - i but i also acknowledge that there is a little boy inside me who kinda stammers and sputters about this topic.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

armada SS WAS sleek. if he wasnt, his pose of him cutting that tree down in the episode where he gets swindle would have looked horrid. and i thought it looked pretty cool

it's not just G1, i was hoping for something that continued with tradition. every TV incarnation SS thus far has had almost the same head, same colors, and same sleek slim slender appearance. though body designs were always different, the slenderness was always present

And when was the last time the world around us paid attention to Transformers?

Do I sense a connection?

Could it be that Transformers has stagnated and no one gives a crap twenty years on because the one time it dared to change it was shot down in flames?

armada SS WAS sleek. if he wasnt, his pose of him cutting that tree down in the episode where he gets swindle would have looked horrid. and i thought it looked pretty cool

This is some of the faultiest logic I've ever seen in action. For it to work, you have to be able to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the pose in question (which I'll admit to never having seen) is entirely dependent on slenderness to look cool.

But "slender" and "cool" are both completely subjective, undefinable terms, so you couldn't possibly show that to be the case.

It can be shown that Armada SS was a little on the wide side for Starscream models, but I'll grant you that the G1 homage is still undeniable.

Still, I'm happy to see something different in the movie. I love the idea of the Decepticons having a backstabbing, self-serving member with eyes on the position of leader. But I love the idea even more of that member not being portrayed as someone who actually poses a threat to the leader. Movie Screamer's a big improvement over G1 Screamer in that regard.

And, to be clear, I LOVE G1 Screamer in the context of the show he inhabited, but there's no denying it's a cheesy 80s kid's show, and I'm no longer a cheesy 80s kid. The movie seems to show that, finally, the franchise is growing up with me.

All hail the movie. :clap

if they had only called him dreadwing or some other minor G1 character's name, there wouldn't have been a problem....

if they had only called him dreadwing or some other minor G1 character's name, there wouldn't have been a problem....

So then, all your ranting about how ugly movie Starscream looks (including the picture in your sig) is bullsh*t?

All you're saying then is:

1) "Movie Starscream doesn't look like G1/A/E/C Starscream."

Well I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

2) "I think Movie Starscream should look like G1/A/E/C Starscream."

That's your opinion, and of course you're entitled to it. But in light of the other radical changes that have been made to other characters, can you really claim that Starscream is any better or worse off than anyone else? Why does nobody say anything about Ironhide? He was a red minivan, and now he's a black truck with arm cannons! He looks nothing at all like his namesake, in either mode. (Starscream is at least a logical upgrade of the F-15). Is "Ironhide" more than just a name? What about "Bonecrusher"? Or "Megatron" for goodness' sake?

JMO and stuff

Ironhide and Megatron were both completely changed every time they appeared in something new. G1 Ironhide was a red van, Energon Ironhide was a blue pickup truck, and now movie ironhide is a black pickup truck. now look at megatron. the thing to understand about him is he's constantly evolving. he started out in armada as a mighty tank bot. then he gained energon power in energon and became the jet. then in Cybertron, he wore Unicron's essence as his armor. so what's the next step? now he starts to turn more demonic, but retaining the same style of face with movie alterations. i see "Megatron" when i look at him. and as far as new takes go with starscream. i can accept them usually. look at energon. starscream's persona was completely different. but he still looked and sounded like he always does. armada starscream was still slender like the SS character has become. yes i know his wings stick out from his shoulders. that's how he flies. armada at least doesnt give every single decepticon magical flight powers like G1 did.

as far as bulkier starscreams go, Cybertron screamer pulled it off while maintaining the essence he's always had. if bay had done to Starscream's head the same thing he did with Prime and Megs, maybe he'd have looked more recognizable and pay even a LITTLE bit of homage to his predecessors

Archived