the Universe line...

Satan's Camaro

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, someone's undies are riding high.  You didn't put any real thought into this idea aside from slapping G1 paintjobs on everything with G1 names and arrogantly assumed that the line needed "saving" to begin with.

That you childishly stoop to namecalling and pouting because I called you on the fanboyishness of your idea proves my whole point carries its own weight.  Start suggesting that someone close it now before a more creative "idea" comes along and you just put your own thread to shame. Good job!

I mean, you really think you can just say something like that and not expect any kind of response?

And no, it's not about closing the topic because someone might have a better idea, it's more about the fact that I feel completely humiliated.

I don't hear any ideas coming from you, just a lot of ripping down other peoples ideas.

The only thing that I do admit to is arrogantly titling the topic. It was intended to be funny, but was not.

Say something like what??? :tfhuh Do I have to hold your hand and comfort you when I give honest criticism that rings ever so true? Should I apologize for knowing what I'm talking about while I'm at it? :roll *I* wasn't the one who resorted to petty name calling and childish regression in the quality of my posts.

If you feel humiliated, it's your own fault for getting in that position and feeling that way for that matter. You could've rolled with what I said and noticed the kind of thing I was getting at. Let me simplify this a bit for ya: The neat thing about Universe is that it allows us to EXPAND it. Typical rules don't apply here. Let me rattle off a few names...

Roulette

Shadow Striker

Glyph

Sunstorm

Tap out

King Atlas

Reptilion

The thing these figures have in common is that despite their varying heritage, they have one VERY important thing in trait which is vital to Universe, they're new characters. Like them or not, new characters can allow more flexibility in paint schemes and possible remolds, not to mention new intellectual interests to further enrich the franchise we all hold so dear. At the same time, there's room for the OCCASIONAL homage, but if you operate by the mindset you had when you made this thread, we'd have nothing save for movie character and season one repaints. That's the problem. :roll I liked... no LOVED, the cartoon and the movie. Killing the old characters to make me accept the new was a difficult experience and led to a lot of resentment towards the new stuff. No one has to die for this and even if they do they can be brought back... in an alternative mold.

But that's why Beast Wars first rubbed me raw and I didn't even notice! I didn't care for it at first merely because it wasn't the original TFs and I didn't give it the chance it deserved to be watched on its own merits. Once I started watching it and opened up to it, I found a series I now hold in higher regard than I *ever* held G1. The same can happen with Universe. All we need is for Hasbro to tone down the annoyingly occasional assault on our eyes with some of the more garish repaints, the emissions of energon being drained from the characters can be demonstrated in other more... subtle, ways. A translucent body part, lightning bolds a la E. Tidal Wave, etc. Basically, the only problem in Universe is that we need something that sets it apart aside from the fact that its a repaint line. Dressing up everything as G1 characters is just not gonna do that.

For instance, they've yet to whip out Thunderclash/Optimus from their mold arsenal from Machine Wars and it'd be a pleasure to see it return, but as a decepticon. ~_^ Make him a dark color, perhaps throw on some purple and red highlights and BAM! New character! Hell, since the cyberjets are back in the hizzouse, might as well experiment with some new paint schemes there and BAM! Troop builders! The G2 laser cycles and laser rods would be a handsome addition to the Universe line, don't you think? It also allows more flexibility because they haven't had any real characterization before besides the small stint the Rods had in the G2 comic. Besides G2, there's still a few molds untouched from RID and plenty from beast wars. This is a chance to bring molds from every series of TF together and show the diversity among cybertron's people. Now, I'm not nuts, a few homages here and there are just nice to have around, but if that's the limit of your "idea" then we might as well start digging a hole to bury the entire franchise right now. :roll

You seem like a fairly intelligent person, find some molds from the past 5-10 years you'd like to see as a new character in new colors. If you throw up your hands now then you really should feel humiliated and you demonstrate how shallow the pool of your imagination is. :tdown

Say something like what??? :tfhuh Do I have to hold your hand and comfort you when I give honest criticism that rings ever so true? Should I apologize for knowing what I'm talking about while I'm at it? :roll *I* wasn't the one who resorted to petty name calling and childish regression in the quality of my posts.

If you feel humiliated, it's your own fault for getting in that position and feeling that way for that matter. You could've rolled with what I said and noticed the kind of thing I was getting at. Let me simplify this a bit for ya: The neat thing about Universe is that it allows us to EXPAND it. Typical rules don't apply here. Let me rattle off a few names...

Roulette

Shadow Striker

Glyph

Sunstorm

Tap out

King Atlas

Reptilion

The thing these figures have in common is that despite their varying heritage, they have one VERY important thing in trait which is vital to Universe, they're new characters. Like them or not, new characters can allow more flexibility in paint schemes and possible remolds, not to mention new intellectual interests to further enrich the franchise we all hold so dear. At the same time, there's room for the OCCASIONAL homage, but if you operate by the mindset you had when you made this thread, we'd have nothing save for movie character and season one repaints. That's the problem. :roll I liked... no LOVED, the cartoon and the movie. Killing the old characters to make me accept the new was a difficult experience and led to a lot of resentment towards the new stuff. No one has to die for this and even if they do they can be brought back... in an alternative mold.

But that's why Beast Wars first rubbed me raw and I didn't even notice! I didn't care for it at first merely because it wasn't the original TFs and I didn't give it the chance it deserved to be watched on its own merits. Once I started watching it and opened up to it, I found a series I now hold in higher regard than I *ever* held G1. The same can happen with Universe. All we need is for Hasbro to tone down the annoyingly occasional assault on our eyes with some of the more garish repaints, the emissions of energon being drained from the characters can be demonstrated in other more... subtle, ways. A translucent body part, lightning bolds a la E. Tidal Wave, etc. Basically, the only problem in Universe is that we need something that sets it apart aside from the fact that its a repaint line. Dressing up everything as G1 characters is just not gonna do that.

For instance, they've yet to whip out Thunderclash/Optimus from their mold arsenal from Machine Wars and it'd be a pleasure to see it return, but as a decepticon. ~_^ Make him a dark color, perhaps throw on some purple and red highlights and BAM! New character! Hell, since the cyberjets are back in the hizzouse, might as well experiment with some new paint schemes there and BAM! Troop builders! The G2 laser cycles and laser rods would be a handsome addition to the Universe line, don't you think? It also allows more flexibility because they haven't had any real characterization before besides the small stint the Rods had in the G2 comic. Besides G2, there's still a few molds untouched from RID and plenty from beast wars. This is a chance to bring molds from every series of TF together and show the diversity among cybertron's people. Now, I'm not nuts, a few homages here and there are just nice to have around, but if that's the limit of your "idea" then we might as well start digging a hole to bury the entire franchise right now.  :roll

You seem like a fairly intelligent person, find some molds from the past 5-10 years you'd like to see as a new character in new colors. If you throw up your hands now then you really should feel humiliated and you demonstrate how shallow the pool of your imagination is.  :tdown

Well, just to get it out of the way, I don't need you to "hold my hand" and I do know what I'm talking about, but...Good points. Sorry about the harsh words, I had a bad day and took your posts a little too personally. Anyway...yeah. My list was a bit heavy on the Energon figures- I just love the old G1 Skywarp paintjob (black & purple) and would like to see it on the E. Screamer mold, but the main ones I am really into seeing are the G2 Megatron and Laser Rod Prime figures. Those molds are awesome and really would just look good if they had the right colors on them. The main reason I said I wanted to see the Hero Tank Megatron in G1 colors is that we really haven't seen a Megatron figure that takes a nod to the original. It seems that when it comes to any Prime figure they almost always reference the original G1 figure while doing nothing of the sort with Megatron (aside from BW, where their faces were similar). However, I do think it would be just as great if they did something with that Megatron mold (except dip it in puke)- for instance, a predominantly metallic black (no camo detailing) or dark green (not the neon or bright green) color with some red and silver highlights. I think the retooling of the missiles into cannons would be cool, but not neccesary.

As for Prime, I am still trying to think of a color scheme that would set him apart from the rest without resorting to the vomit colors.

As for the other figures on my list, well... I suppose I got carried away. (although I do think E. Slugslinger would look sweet with G1 Cyclonus colors-not necessarily his name) I'm happy with those figures as they are, honestly. It's just sometimes I see these new figures and can't help but think sometimes "oh, that would have made a great Skyfire figure..." Anyway, I suppose it is the G1 fan in me. It's what I grew up with and it has some of my all time favorite characters.

Also, I am looking forward to the Cyberjets as well. I just wish they would do a entire package of them instead of spacing them out. And I don't think I'll really be sure of the two upcoming G2/MW repaints until I see them up close. I also think that we should get a price break on the older figures (G2 and before) considering most of them are not very poseable and made entirely out of plastic. If they can sell an Alternator for 19.99 then something like the upcoming Whirl figure should only be like $11 or $12.

So in a nutshell, I apologize for my harsh words. :tfgrin

Now I'm going to try to delete them or something. No one needs to waste time on those.

S'alright, no grudges here :thumb I understand this sort of thing is pretty frustrating trying to deal with day glow colors looking bad on decent figures and an assortment of colors that do anything but look good together. They're actually whipping up some nice molds and with the Robot Masters not only sporting some sweet looking paint jobs, but using premiere molds, Hasbro might get a wee bit of a wake up call that the eye gouging colors might as well be dropped altogether. :roll

Long as Hasbro more or less keeps their wits about them and adapts as necessary with the line, Universe should do pretty well for a few years to come. :bounce

S'alright, no grudges here :thumb I understand this sort of thing is pretty frustrating trying to deal with day glow colors looking bad on decent figures and an assortment of colors that do anything but look good together. They're actually whipping up some nice molds and with the Robot Masters not only sporting some sweet looking paint jobs, but using premiere molds, Hasbro might get a wee bit of a wake up call that the eye gouging colors might as well be dropped altogether. :roll

Long as Hasbro more or less keeps their wits about them and adapts as necessary with the line, Universe should do pretty well for a few years to come. :bounce

Yeah, now that I think of it, that's probably part of the reason I thought of all those G1 homages in the first place.

I've seen the Robotmasters figures and yeah, I hope that Hasbro will wake up and smell the coffee so I don't need to shell out as much dough to acquire them, but I would still like to see the G2 Hero Megatron make an appearance in Universe. In a good color scheme, of course.

I think the main problem with Hasbro is that they have this thing about having two figures that are the same colors out at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I heard). If they work by that theory, they may as well flush the line down the tubes, but I have seen improvement in the line as it is progressing. I think if they realize the colors don't have to be so bright and neon like to get your attention, they'll head down the right path. Obviously though, they hadn't realized it before they put out the neon Offshoot, pastel Strongarm and Ronald McHotshot - If they had just dumped the yellow and gone for a darker color in its place, all would have been well. I would have bought him again.

Another frustrating thing about Universe to me is the appearance of Armada molds already in the line. I have the Armada 'Screamer figure and was kind of disappointed by it. Half of the jet hangs off his friggin shoulders! And why they're bothering with that putrid Armada Sideswipe mold beats the hell out of me. The A. Blurr repaint looks good though, but I'm happy with the original Armada figure. How do you feel about the appearance of Armada figures in the TFU line?

When I mentioned Energon repaints in Universe I was thinking that if they did it, it would be maybe 1-2 years down the line, probably another reason for all the Energon figure choices I had in my head.

Another frustrating thing about Universe to me is the appearance of Armada molds already in the line. I have the Armada 'Screamer figure and was kind of disappointed by it. Half of the jet hangs off his friggin shoulders! And why they're bothering with that putrid Armada Sideswipe mold beats the hell out of me. The A. Blurr repaint looks good though, but I'm happy with the original Armada figure. How do you feel about the appearance of Armada figures in the TFU line?

Having the Armada guys in the line is a little annoying, because we just saw repaints of almost the whole line already, but I can understand using them to cut some more costs.

Allthough, now that I think about it there really haven't been many Armada molds used yet. Sunstorm(thrust) and Ramjet(starscream) are the only two I can think of now, please correct me if I'm missing any. The rest of the Armada guys are coming out a bit later after we've already seen some BW, BM, MW, and RiD.

Having the Armada guys in the line is a little annoying, because we just saw repaints of almost the whole line already, but I can understand using them to cut some more costs.

Allthough, now that I think about it there really haven't been many Armada molds used yet. Sunstorm(thrust) and Ramjet(starscream) are the only two I can think of now, please correct me if I'm missing any. The rest of the Armada guys are coming out a bit later after we've already seen some BW, BM, MW, and RiD.

Pretty much that's all right now, but we'll have the supercon prime repaint, a armada hoist repaint, the blurr repaint and that sideswipe repaint (shudder...) coming up in fall, I think.

Oh, I just looked at some other info and we'll also get:

-Another Armada Seeker repaint

-Another Armada Sideswipe repaint (as if one wasn't too many. why God, why?!)

-An Armada Wheeljack repaint

-An Armada Red alert repaint

-An Armada Hot Shot repaint

-An Armada Jetfire repaint

And if that isn't enough, we're also going to get a repaint of a repaint- Crystal Widow, a Blackarachnia repaint.

So many other molds out there, and they're still stuck on these. At least we'll see the Cyberjets, some BW and G2/MW molds, I guess...Oh, wait a seond I almost forgot about Fireflight! :tfgrin that'll be sweet. :thumb

Archived