whats gonna be in the new movie dvd?

cheetor182

I'll echo what Hunter said, I'd like to see some test shots of G1 styled bots that didn't work out. [rant]And whatever else is on there I'd like to see it not be completely redundant and lame. Most special features nowadays are either a look into the exact same special effects process that every movie uses OR they come off like something to sell the movie to you...well guess what, I'm already watching the DVD! I'm not gonna get any more or less persuaded from that point on.

So, how about something genuinely insightful about the process of making this film, huh?[/rant]

I echo him

OR they come off like something to sell the movie to you...

That's because most of the time those "documentaries" are intended to be shown before/during the film's release, then they just get stuck on the disc later as a "special feature."

Very few things anymore are filmed specifically to be included as DVD-special features since marketing surveys have shown that so few people watch them it isn't worth the added expense to film new ones for the DVD.

I haven't seen any marketing surveys on the subject, but I respectfully disagree with that. A ton of that stuff is made with the DVD in mind. There's not a large enough venue for that kind of material to be shown to justify the production of that much "bonus material" for any other use.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, with older films they used to film quite a bit of stuff for the DVD, but not so much for newer films. Which is why one usually only gets maybe a half-hour documentary that looks like it was filmed to be shown on HBO or SciFi almost as an advertisement (or as videos on a film's website prior to release), plus a bunch of random junk that appears to have been thrown together at the last minute.

That's because most of the time those "documentaries" are intended to be shown before/during the film's release, then they just get stuck on the disc later as a "special feature."

Very few things anymore are filmed specifically to be included as DVD-special features since marketing surveys have shown that so few people watch them it isn't worth the added expense to film new ones for the DVD.

I haven't seen any marketing surveys on the subject, but I respectfully disagree with that. A ton of that stuff is made with the DVD in mind. There's not a large enough venue for that kind of material to be shown to justify the production of that much "bonus material" for any other use.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, with older films they used to film quite a bit of stuff for the DVD, but not so much for newer films. Which is why one usually only gets maybe a half-hour documentary that looks like it was filmed to be shown on HBO or SciFi almost as an advertisement (or as videos on a film's website prior to release), plus a bunch of random junk that appears to have been thrown together at the last minute.

I think we're watching different DVDs.

Let me throw out an example: I just got the 14 disc Superman collection for Christmas, and while there is a lot of bonus content that was pre-existing (like the old cartoons) or designed to sell Superman Returns, a lot of it was produced new. Produced new for 20 year old movies that don't need to be sold to anyone anymore. And these features are only available to be viewed on the DVD. Why would Warner Bros. spend the money to do that if people weren't intrested in watching them?

I think there's plenty of intrest in DVD bonus content, I just think that the people who stepped up to fill the "bonus content production" hole when the DVD format was created were people with a background in selling movies, the people who had already made a career out of interviewing filmmakers and movie stars, and the bonus content being produced comes off as a selling tool because of it. I would like to see that content, particularly on the Transformers DVD, evolve from being more like a selling tool, to more like a...I'm going to say tutorial on the process, although that's not really the right word. But something with real insight and information that doesn't assume the viewer has never seen how CGI animators start with a digital skeleton and then wrap layers around it to create those larger than life monsters.

I guess what I'd like to see is something less about "how" the final product was made and more about "why".

I think we're watching different DVDs.

I think so, especially since my original response was in agreement with your point. :tflaugh2

Of course 14-disc ultimate editions will have "special features" filmed for the DVD. I was referring more to most current wide release DVD - where the special features (if any) usually only consist of a 30-min doc that looks like it was made to be shown on TV, plus some trailers and pre-production art if one's lucky.

Now if Transformers is a huge hit in the theater I'd expect a special edition with some nice additional features, but if it has only ho-hum performace I wouldn't expect them to go to the additional expense.

Archived