Transformers in latest Popular Science magazine!

Star Seeker

*shrug* I know the fandom always likes to think that they have a large influence.

And I haven't seen any proof that it doesn't.

:tflaugh hey man, you can believe whatever you want to. All I'm saying is that companies like Hasbro are vastly different from companies like Gentle Giant or Sideshow etc. It's pretty clear who they're focused on from looking at the products they produce.

Well, Hasbro does show up to Botcon/OTFCC every year with NEW product. :thumb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*shrug* I know the fandom always likes to think that they have a large influence.

:tflaugh hey man, you can believe whatever you want to. All I'm saying is that companies like Hasbro are vastly different from companies like Gentle Giant or Sideshow etc. It's pretty clear who they're focused on from looking at the products they produce.

I think there's also some gray area here because the fanbase is buying children's toys as well as adult collectibles. If adult collectors simply bought adult-oriented stuff, the collecting landscape would look different.

I think there's also some gray area here because the fanbase is buying children's toys as well as adult collectibles. If adult collectors simply bought adult-oriented stuff, the collecting landscape would look different.

Very true. Transformers also isn't your "average" fanbase/toys/franchise.

I'm not saying they wouldn't "survive" without them. I just saying that they wouldn't do nearly as good. Fanbases are good "free" advertisement for one. We spread the word like nobody's business. I wonder how so many people found out about the Transformers trailer, for instance. Word of mouth.... from fans.

I'd say that the importance of a fanbase to a toyline's success is probably an inverse relationship to the "health" of said toyline. Alternators are a perfect example, nearly universally beloved by the fanbase, but there weren't enough sales for Hasbro to contiue with it - so obviously the "fanbase market" simply wasn't large enough.

What companies like Hasbro use fanbases for is somethink in marketing called "Voice of the Customer"; which basically means that they probably feel what the fanbase thinks would sell is more likely to sell than what the fanbase thinks is crap. However, even this isn't 100%, as the SWTFs show, I'd say that most TF and SW fans are pretty cool on the idea - yet, according to Hasbro, it's apparantly seeling quite well, which probably means that while the adult fanbase thinks they're a bastardization - the kids (or their parents) must like them.

Archived