Transformers in latest Popular Science magazine!

Star Seeker

Well, my point isn't that the beginning of Beast Wars was bad. IMO, it wasn't. It just took the path through G1 to get the fanbase re-interested. Don't ever let them fool you into thinking that the fanbase isn't needed.

I don't think the fanbase is ever needed, since these shows are targeted at kids to begin with. The show became popular because it was a good show.

How much of the fanbase do you figure has kids in the "target" area for buying Transformers?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, my point isn't that the beginning of Beast Wars was bad. IMO, it wasn't. It just took the path through G1 to get the fanbase re-interested. Don't ever let them fool you into thinking that the fanbase isn't needed.

I don't think the fanbase is ever needed, since these shows are targeted at kids to begin with. The show became popular because it was a good show.

How much of the fanbase do you figure has kids in the "target" area for buying Transformers?

Well by "fanbase" obviously you can't mean "everyone who likes the brand"; I'm referring to people who are old enough to have different hobbies.

I still say the fanbase is important. It's why there are "collectors' clubs" and stuff. Hell, fanbases are what kept Star Wars around all this time.

I don't think collectors' clubs are big moneymakers... and to be clear, George Lucas is the one who's kept Star Wars around all this time, by constantly keeping his franchise on the pop culture radar.

We also forget that adult fans also started off as child fans... and that's the bread and butter of any toy line, since toys are for kids and stuff.....

I honestly don't know how you can think that fanbases have no bearing on the franchises that they represent. That's preposterous.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying that toy companies would do just fine without adult fans and collectors. They recognize the existence of this marketing demographic, however, and do cater to it (as they would for any customer, because a happy customer is a paying customer).

I'm not saying they wouldn't "survive" without them. I just saying that they wouldn't do nearly as good. Fanbases are good "free" advertisement for one. We spread the word like nobody's business. I wonder how so many people found out about the Transformers trailer, for instance. Word of mouth.... from fans.

*shrug* I know the fandom always likes to think that they have a large influence.

And I haven't seen any proof that it doesn't.

:tflaugh hey man, you can believe whatever you want to. All I'm saying is that companies like Hasbro are vastly different from companies like Gentle Giant or Sideshow etc. It's pretty clear who they're focused on from looking at the products they produce.

Archived