Classics Bumblebee, Starscream, and Grimlock mods!

Dark_Lord_Prime

I decided to just make a new topic for this, since it went a tad beyond just painting his eyes clear blue. :P

First, alt-mode!

I really didn't care for the metallic-white paint they put on him, so that's gone, and I added black accents. I also painted the headlight wells silver.

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg

Yet again, Hasbro molds pieces in clear plastic, then paints them; in this case, BB's tail lights. They're the same clear plastic as the windows, but for whatever reason, they were painted opaque red. I cleaned that paint off, painted the wells silver and the lights clear red.

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0118.jpg

Behold, teh shiny new side mirrors!

DSCF0119b.jpg

I'm gonna print up a license plate for him later; I'm thinking something like "BMBL B".

Next post: bot-mode!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's bot-mode!

I've given him a proper Autobot symbol on his chest, and relocated the rub-sign to the inside of his roof.

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

And here, again, Hasbro molded his eyes in clear plastic, but didn't do anything with that. I've painted them clear blue and installed my own light-pipe into the back of his head. (I'll add a couple pics of the inside later.)

DSCF0112.jpg

As a bonus, here are a couple pics of my modded Waverunner! I sanded the sides of the top-half's nose narrow, and the point below the nubs that lock it into the bottom-half, so it's hinged and can swing up. I'm trying to come up with a simple way to turn the water-ski into a weapon that he can hold now. :)

DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

And there you have it. :D

This light-piping project has given me ideas for adding piping to both my Super Starscream project and my Classics Starscream (though the latter is gonna be a little tougher, since the head is a single piece)!

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

DSCF0127.jpg

DSCF0128.jpg

(the white bits on the black tape are debris from drilling and sanding and cutting--it's a piece of tape I was using to test the light-piping I was installing in Bumblebee's head, and discarded on the table top)

Once again, I'm using a bit of sprue from the clear-parts tree from of my model kits. I cut Starscream's head in half at the visible seam line (I'm gonna have to pad it out when I put the head back together, 'cause I ended up cutting a 1/16" space between the halves), then used a combination of my smallest precision flat-head screwdriver, a hammer, and a cylindrical engraving/shaping bit in my rotary-tool to cut out his old eyes and the triangular space behind them.

I dipped the new eye piece in a bottle of clear red model paint and brushed off the excess with a small paintbrush, dabbing the brush dry on a piece of newspaper, until the eye piece was coated nice and even.

I heated up the end of the remaining sprue and smashed it with needle-nose pliers.

DSCF0130.jpg

I think all that's left is to finish fitting the light-pipe to the space I cut, then put the head back together and repaint.

Archived