What do you think about a TF Alternator CGI series?

Valkfan

But if this is really about movie angst, then... oy. I get so freaking sick of people complaining that a live action movie doesn't base its designs off of cartoons or toys. GEE I WONDER WHY THAT MIGHT BE, MAYBE BECAUSE CARTOONS AND TOYS AREN'T REAL AND STUFF

*insert Hellion smiley here*

Not quite sure how I got tagged at the end of that statement, seeing as how I've not made one post about the movie — positive, negative, nor neutral. But if it's a Hellion smiley you want...

hamstertorture.gif

..that's as close as it gets. :redface

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ebichuuuuuu!!!

I get so freaking sick of people complaining that a live action movie doesn't base its designs off of cartoons or toys. GEE I WONDER WHY THAT MIGHT BE, MAYBE BECAUSE CARTOONS AND TOYS AREN'T REAL AND STUFF

:clap

Movie TFs don't look blocky for the same reason why movie Wolverine didn't have yellow spandex. You gotta adapt the designs of comic/cartoon characters for a live action movie to help make them look more realistic and believable, otherwise it just ends up looking camp like the old school Batman movie (with Bat Shark Repellent!). The Batman Begins' Batman costume on other other hand looks like it was retro-fitted from military hardware (which is part of the story of how Batman gets his costume, equipment, vehicle etc). Superman's costume changed not only in colour, but also in choice of fabrics for Superman Returns -- although Chris Reeve is my favourite Superman, Routh's costume was very well designed and more suitable to a contemporary cinema audience. Even the Power Rangers movie had modified costumes to help them look good on the movie screen compared to their TV costumes.

Comparative pics:

West as Batman | Bale as Batman

Reeve as Superman | Routh as Superman

TV Power Rangers | Movie Power Rangers

Classic Wolverine | movie Wolverine

These movie Transformers don't look realistic to me, they suffer from impracticality. They look like Terminator endo skeletons with Robo Cop-esque amour parts/ plates that help them change into vehicles which kills a lot of their uniqueness for me anyways. IMHO as much as I'd like to see live action transformers, I don't think its possible to pull off either going G1 or going with the "something new" approach. I still plan to see the movie (mainly because of the story line and premiss), but I'm no more or less excited to see it than I was the first Robo Cop or Terminator as far as visually. If anything I think they should have tested the waters with doing something like a live action adaptation of Mospeada first (I do still have hope for this and if/ when they do decide to do it, I want to be so blown away that I'd do almost anything to get my hands on a real Cyclone, now would be the perfect time too with motorcycles being the latest rage across the nation thanks to American Chopper and the Discovery Channel). Start small and gain some experience with vehicles that turn into body armour and making that as realistic as possible (engineering wise) would have been a better starting point to see what an audience would buy as far as possibilities. Instead I feel they skipped this important step and went from killer robot terminators that take over the world to Robot cops made out of dead human cops staight into transforming alien robots that come to earth to fight one another and man kind again finds himself in the middle of a war. Come on people the first two ideas are somewhat plausible, but without some sort of transition or basis in scientific fact, Transformers the Movie is just going to be another robot sci-fi flick with neat special effects that will be out dated soon with a plot who's originality is arguably questionable. I think they should have taken their time with the idea instead of rushing things. As far as audiences go and this love hate thing with this movie, why waste the energy? Like the saying goes "You can't please all of the people all the time, you're lucky if you can please most of the people most of the time, and if you piss off most of the people most of the time your name is most likely George W. B***" woops got a little ahead of myself. :redface

As for Alternators on TV in CGI, no I do not see this happening here. Don't get me wrong I like them, they are the closest thing one can currently hold in their hand to a real world transformer and really helps pose the question if making an actual real one is possible, but I think the line is slacking off and its done so in the east as well with the Binaltechs. If the line were based on the movie then I could see how we could expect a mini series cartoon between sequels like star-wars but we all know this ain't the case. I'd be really surprised if we ever see a toon (CGI or not) based on the Alts, but would of course welcome it if it happened. I do pose the question though if one were to be made, would it be written for adults (the collectors of the Alts) or the kiddies (whose sole purpose in life is to get their hands on their daddy's TFs and destroy their value) ?

Ebichuuuuuu!!!

I get so freaking sick of people complaining that a live action movie doesn't base its designs off of cartoons or toys. GEE I WONDER WHY THAT MIGHT BE, MAYBE BECAUSE CARTOONS AND TOYS AREN'T REAL AND STUFF

Movie TFs don't look blocky for the same reason why movie Wolverine didn't have yellow spandex. You gotta adapt the designs of comic/cartoon characters for a live action movie to help make them look more realistic and believable, otherwise it just ends up looking camp like the old school Batman movie (with Bat Shark Repellent!). The Batman Begins' Batman costume on other other hand looks like it was retro-fitted from military hardware (which is part of the story of how Batman gets his costume, equipment, vehicle etc). Superman's costume changed not only in colour, but also in choice of fabrics for Superman Returns -- although Chris Reeve is my favourite Superman, Routh's costume was very well designed and more suitable to a contemporary cinema audience. Even the Power Rangers movie had modified costumes to help them look good on the movie screen compared to their TV costumes.

Comparative pics:

but ill tell ya i would of liked paying to watch proper xmen in the spandex...sitting down and the proper soundtrack kicks in and they starts fighting away...reason they dident...they would of had to pay hugh jackman alot more and then propably couldent of afforded mr stewart...the only good one in the films....batman & robin they had nipple moulds...less crime fighter and more gimp...the first two were best there....superman wise i think they did an ok job with the film i dident watch it and think i could have done somting better with that time like im forced t odo with many modern cgi fests.'

Regarding Superman, remember that we're just talking about the look of the character here (i.e.: costume), not what you actually thought of the movie. :P Regardless of how you feel about Superman Returns, I personally reckon the Routh costume looks really awesome and brings a fresh contemporary style to the Superman costume.

Ebichuuuuuu!!!

Comparative pics:

but ill tell ya i would of liked paying to watch proper xmen in the spandex...sitting down and the proper soundtrack kicks in and they starts fighting away...reason they dident...they would of had to pay hugh jackman alot more and then propably couldent of afforded mr stewart...the only good one in the films....batman & robin they had nipple moulds...less crime fighter and more gimp...the first two were best there....superman wise i think they did an ok job with the film i dident watch it and think i could have done somting better with that time like im forced t odo with many modern cgi fests.'

Yeah, well, me thinks you have your "nostalgia rules" levels just a tad too high there my friend. While I too was startled that they didn't go with a lot of classic looks for the X-Men costumes (save for Magneto's which was practically dead on save for a few things), they have to go which will look more appealing in the films setting. If it was a cartoon movie, the spandex would have been okay. But it was live action, and so they went with a standard leather like outfit with variation in colors and design depending on the characters (Wolverine, Ice Man, Shadow Cat, Cyclops and Jean Grey all had the same one piece body suit with gloves with the "X" in varying colors. Beast's consisted of a vest and some pants. As did Colossus'. Storm's had some "wings" on it). Now, had they put Professor X in a hover chair and not a power wheelchair, that would have rocked, but in the original comics, he had a standard wheelchair (which then was not a powered one but a truly standard one).

Batman and Robin look good in the armored like outfits better than they would have in cloth ones. In Batman Forever, when Robin rescues Bats from the tunnel, he looked kind of campy in cloth. However, when he comes down the steps in the armored like version of the classic costume Alfred made for him, he looked better. And then even better in the costume he had in Batman and Robin. They would have looked horrible in cloth. However, the real costumes aren't made of cloth, but many layers of kevlar in the comics.

Superman: Reeve vs. Routh (I'm kind of torn because I think Reeve was great for then, and Routh will breathe life into it for the new century and newcomers to who and what Superman is). Reeve costume vs. Routh costume: Routh wins by a long shot. His logo is smaller and doesn't take up his entire chest. It's not as campy looking. The cape and boots have more of a leathery look to them where the originals looked like cloth.

Alts are over as far as I'm concerned to little product has been coming out to hold my interest in the last 6 months so I'd have to say nah Iwouldnt be interested in a CGI show, now if you said CGI redux of G1 then I'd soil my under roos!!!

That would only be viable if it were based on the Classics line - and even then, only if they intend on expanding the line (which is doubtful as it appears to be a pre-movie filler line). Again, all TF shows must be marketing a toy line that is in current production. During G1, even the comics had to obey this rule too (which is why characters frequently got killed off a lot more - whereas in the G1 cartoon they just casually disappeared; e.g.: whatever happened to Omega Supreme after the movie?). The comic book situation has completely changed where we are now at a stage where Transformers comics can be produced entirely independently from the toyline - even entire series based on Transformers where toys for them don't even exist!

e.g.: The War Within, Hearts Of Steel, Infiltration/Escalation, Spotlight (the Dynabots and Nightbeat were not toy-accurate), G.I. Joe Vs Transformers etc.

This is because producing comic books is relatively far cheaper than producing a cartoon. And cel animation - is a lot cheaper than pure CGI.

Due to the more inhibitive costs of producing a television series, Transformers cartoons still lack that degree of freedom that TF comics currently enjoy. They must still be based on an existing toyline to make it viable. Heck, even the movie is tied into this to some degree - let's not pretend that when Hasbro gave Dreamworks the rights to make a Transformers live action movie that they weren't thinking about creating a toyline to go with it. ;)

Archived