Transformers Versus Hollywood

MISP Steve

it would really be...

Based on the trailers and the quality of recent Simpsons episodes, I fear for the movie.

Did you see South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut? "I will do my German dance for you..."

Hell yeah but at the time South Park was at the top of its game. The Simpsons right now is far from it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there ever been so much money spent on a movie that so much uncertainty attached to it? I fear the Transformers is going to get bad reviews. I also fear that the general audience will dismiss the movie, which would be ironic since there has been so much done to appeal to the general audience, which in turn might be why it would get bad reviews.

Like the original Star Wars, I hope this movie surprised people and does well and is also a good movie.

I also fear that the general audience will dismiss the movie, which would be ironic since there has been so much done to appeal to the general audience, which in turn might be why it would get bad reviews.

What has been done to increase the appeal? I have yet to see any advertising. I would have thought that they would have set aside some money for advertising.

Well Superman Returns had even more money spent on it and IMO was a much bigger gamble.

I also fear that the general audience will dismiss the movie, which would be ironic since there has been so much done to appeal to the general audience, which in turn might be why it would get bad reviews.

What has been done to increase the appeal? I have yet to see any advertising. I would have thought that they would have set aside some money for advertising.

January's a tad early for the advertising blitz. It's not like all the other summer movies have commercials running right now. When it's time for the advertising, you'll see it. Trust Speilberg to know how to market a film...

The thing I think about is the narrow window of opportunity that the film has. As has been mentioned, after a week it'll be competing with Harry Potter. I'd previously thought it might not be such a big deal, but now I'm not sure.

Potter will kick it's opening weekend's ass. But Transformers opens on a Wednesday, and has, like, nine days to be tops until Potter opens up, which will help a lot...I hope...

Not that I won't be seeing both on opening day. But Harry Potter has chick appeal that Transformers doesn't.

It's a funny thing about the Harry Potter movies though, if you are a fan of the books, this is exciting, getting to see OotP in theaters. But if you are just a fan of the movies, I think alot of people are like "they are still making those?" It's a weird duality. The transformers is offering something that hasn't been seen in theaters since maybe independence day (or at least seen well) a mix of action, military battles, and science fiction with a light story so you can just worry about what you are seeing.

I think it will do well, well enough to make a sequel since the budget on this thing is in all reality low when you consider what we've seen of the special effects. Harry Potter suffers from the fact that it is technically (in movie terms) a 4th sequel at this point and alot of the kids that started watching from movie #1 are teens now who may not care so much about Harry's adventures, but seeing big robots on screen blasting each other? That's another story.

Harry Potter suffers from the fact that it is technically (in movie terms) a 4th sequel at this point and alot of the kids that started watching from movie #1 are teens now who may not care so much about Harry's adventures, but seeing big robots on screen blasting each other? That's another story.

Have you seen how many seemingly respectable adults go all googly over Harry Potter? (im looking at you Pete) And dont give me that "its for kids and adults" bull. It is NOT Lord of the Rings and never will be.

[/fantasyfanboyheadexplodey]

^

Whoa double posted for truth.

As with Pete I'll definitely be seeing both opening night. I know I'm completely opposite here but for me personally Harry Potter 1/2 were almost magical while the last two though good felt overall meh. The problem for me is too much story being compressed into the 2.5 hour running time alloted making them an incoherent mess of a film. 1/2 were so straight forward & easy to follow & tied up so nicely in the end. See what 5 delivers.

Transformers biggest hurdle IMO will be the dumbass critics who think this is just another lameass cartoon to big screen attempt so chances are they'll probably approach it as such. From what I have read it sounds like the fans are the only ones aside from the film crew who know what's really happening with this movie while those not in the loop will immediately see it as another Kids movie. Though I am really impressed with the latest trailer & personally see it marketing just what Bay/Spielberg set out to envision I fear that if the majority of the movie going public can't distance Micheal Bay's Transformers from all the cartoons to date this is a lost cause. On the other hand if the public can except this as being an action scifi special effects film ala ID4/Jurassic Park/WOTW I imagine it should do fairly well. I still don't know what the hell happened with the Island at the box office seeing as it was a decent moderately budgeted scifi action film with lots of cool chases/explosions but hopefully Transformers will fare better. Spielberg has had really good success in the past with his films so hopefully that will be enough. If the Island is any indication Bay isn't attracting a lot of attention as of late.

Archived