Transformers Versus Hollywood

MISP Steve

Its 2007 and the heads are talking in Hollywood about what's coming for the year. People from the online and print press have posted their predictions for the year. Between the dialog of what movies we will see in 2007 is a lot of discussion which ones will do the best. We did a little leg work to see where the Transformers movie sits with Hollywood pundits and reporters. From the inside looking out, it is hard for most of us reading this site to imagine Transformers any less than number one. What we found was surprising and illuminating. Like with any film that is not out yet. People had good, bad and ugly things to say.

transformerswood-500.gif

Read the Full News Story Here

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"More likely to appeal to nostalgic male twentysomethingers who lived through the original... Unlikely to appeal to anyone else though, especially anyone of the opposite gender."

has this douche even seen any of these bots? the movie bots will hold 0 nostalgia for anybody not currently engaged in the fandom. the only thing nostalgic about the movie that is apparant in the trailer and teasers is that it's a transformers movie. you don't get any names, you don't get any VA names, you don't even get a decent shot of optimus prime.

also this movie is most certainly NOT aimed at the fanboys either. that Afterburner Murphey made that very clear.

i swear critics are such morons

What kind of reporting is this? Under the "ugly" section the writer says:

We won't even try to para-phrase the statements we found read them straight up:
then prints this as one of the "un-para-phrased quotes"

Movie Fone - "Michael Bay delivers a live-action flick based on an '80s cartoon about robotic aliens kicking each other's asses on Earth. Sounds preposterous..."

But when you click on the provided Movie Fone link you read:

Michael Bay delivers a live-action flick based on an '80s cartoon about robotic aliens kicking each others' asses on Earth. Sounds preposterous, but it's jam-packed with cool effects, action and Bay's signature talent for blowing stuff up. Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye.

It's a frickin' positive quote! After saying he won't paraphrase, the writer cuts off the section of the statement that gives it any meaning.

I won't even get into how he quotes MTV's article as being both good and bad, causing you to have to click on the link and decide for yourself...thusly defeating the point of the whole article (the MTV link is resoundlingly positive as well, if anyone's interested).

When News Staff says "a little legwork" was done, they meant "very little".

what did you people expect? to the majority of the populace, Transformers is an obscure toyline from the 1980's. do you have any idea how stupid the average person thinks it is to make a live-action movie based on an old toyline from 20 years ago? to understand where the general populace is comming from, replace "Transformers" with "Rocklords". to most people, Transformers just aren't mainstream enough to warrant the live action treatment.

For one, please be civil here. Don't shoot the messenger. Just trying to cover stuff people said about Transformers. :D

Thanks for the correction. Sorry, "para-phrase" was indeed the wrong word to use. Updated it to "summarize." Agreed, MTV's is a positive statement overall. Just trying to point out they too highlighted the 80s fan boy aspect.

To me the take away is the irony of it all. Hollywood thinks it too fan boy. Fan boys think its too hollywood. :tflaugh

We won't even try to para-phrase the statements we found read them straight up:

then prints this as one of the "un-para-phrased quotes"

Movie Fone - "Michael Bay delivers a live-action flick based on an '80s cartoon about robotic aliens kicking each other's asses on Earth. Sounds preposterous..."
But when you click on the provided Movie Fone link you read:

Michael Bay delivers a live-action flick based on an '80s cartoon about robotic aliens kicking each others' asses on Earth. Sounds preposterous, but it's jam-packed with cool effects, action and Bay's signature talent for blowing stuff up. Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye.

It's a frickin' positive quote! After saying he won't paraphrase, the writer cuts off the section of the statement that gives it any meaning.

I won't even get into how he quotes MTV's article as being both good and bad, causing you to have to click on the link and decide for yourself...thusly defeating the point of the whole article (the MTV link is resoundlingly positive as well, if anyone's interested).

When News Staff says "a little legwork" was done, they meant "very little".

For one, please be civil here. Don't shoot the messenger. Just trying to cover stuff people said about Transformers. :D

Thanks for the correction. Sorry, "para-phrase" was indeed the wrong word to use. I updated it to "summarize." I do agree, MTV's is a positive statement overall. I was just trying to point out they too highlighted the 80s fan boy aspect.

I genuinely want to apologize if my post was taken as "un-civil". I don't mean to start anything, but honestly, even with the word "summarize", the article contains a complete misrepresentation of Movie Fone's statement on the movie. What's missing is a very important part of what they've said, and it's not a statement that belongs in the "Ugly" category at all.

It's not a personal issue aimed at anyone in particular, let me clarify that I don't know how this system works, or who wrote the article...or really any of the things that get posted as official TFormers.com news...but I do see the staff put their own opinions into the news that gets reported, which is completely their prerogative. I mean, hey, it's their website.

But because those opinions get posted within the news, and they tend to be on the negative side of the spectrum regarding the movie, I was concerned when I found the discrepancy between what was quoted and what was said. I thought it might be an intentional bit of misdirection, and I wanted to call attention to what was really said in the Movie Fone article.

Certainly I should've phrased it differently. I get passionate about the subject. It's the fanboy in me. Anyway...sorry if I ruffled any feathers, but I do think that the quote in question does a disservice to the fans who read the article and take it at face value as it's presented now, but I promise to be more constructive in the future.

what did you people expect? to the majority of the populace, Transformers is an obscure toyline from the 1980's. do you have any idea how stupid the average person thinks it is to make a live-action movie based on an old toyline from 20 years ago? to understand where the general populace is comming from, replace "Transformers" with "Rocklords". to most people, Transformers just aren't mainstream enough to warrant the live action treatment.

Thing is, this movie is based on a toy line that has survived for 23 years. Yeah, there is no connection to G1 other than the character names (and perhaps even the design and color scheme for some).

I find that it is best to not bother with critics. Whenever they say a movie sucks it usually means it's actually good and when they say a movie is good it usually sucks. Not to mention these 'critics' obviously have no clue as to what they're talking about. If they had seen the reaction a lot of fans made (online of course) towards these designs they would not be saying this caters to the 'nostalgic' crowd.

Sadly, we have to wait for the reviews from all these 'awesome critics' before we can really know if the movie is any good.

Thing is, this movie is based on a toy line that has survived for 23 years. Yeah, there is no connection to G1 other than the character names (and perhaps even the design and color scheme for some).

I find that it is best to not bother with critics. Whenever they say a movie sucks it usually means it's actually good and when they say a movie is good it usually sucks. Not to mention these 'critics' obviously have no clue as to what they're talking about. If they had seen the reaction a lot of fans made (online of course) towards these designs they would not be saying this caters to the 'nostalgic' crowd.

Sadly, we have to wait for the reviews from all these 'awesome critics' before we can really know if the movie is any good.

I just think it's funny that we're talking about people at sci-fi / fanboy websites as though they were serious film critics to begin with.

I wasn't surprised by anything I read. I think reaction to this movie is going to be very mixed. But does that really change anything for fans of the franchise? Just relax; let yourselves enjoy the fact that this movie is being made at all. This is a great time to be a Transformers fan! Let's not forget that.

:pfx to both Pete and Hobbes

if the news staff wants to mangle the news - they should at least

try and be positive about a hobby they supposedly love.

I'm sure that wasn't their intent. And I think the overall mood towards the film, as reported here, is still pretty accurate.

Archived