What's your story?

Smokes

One day at my local Gamestop, I was looking through the used movie section and to my surprise saw Transformers:The Movie. I was feeling a little nostalgic, and on a whim, quickly bought the movie. I caught a weird look form the grunt behind the counter(the first of many), but I brushed it off and sped home to watch the movie.

It was quite exciting, watching Hotrod and Unicron and having all those old emotions about Prime's(1st) death rise to the surface again. The next thing I know, I'm scanning eBay for a used Hotrod. I bought the Takara reissue, then I bought their Swipe reissue and so on....you get the point.

I'm haven't seen this posted before, and since we're all new here, I thought it might be fun.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I got a similar story. Into anime, browsed the titles and lo and behold TF the movie on VHS. *yoink* Few weeks later and a 100 bucks poorer - Optimus Prime.

I just wanted Prime at the time cause I never had him as a kid. I was in school and didn't have the cash to collect G1 stuff off eBay. By the time I got out and working, the re-issues were announced. :thumb

RID got me back into collecting the main line, cept for the beast stuff. I've always enjoyed the Beast Wars toon but I've never bought any of the toys. I prefer my animals mechanical, rather than bot in a fleshy cocoon.

I love TFs but Robotech is where my 80's inner child really lives.

I saw RID Prowl in Woolworths back in 2001 and told my fiancee, who at that time was a great friend of mine, about how I liked TF's when I had been younger. She asked me to buy it and I did, reluctenly, and a few months later, I bought RID Sideburn and X-Brawn and the collection restarted there and then. I just collect them for her though, her father thinks anything that doesn't worship is evil leftism, so she's not allowed any TF's and not allowed to collect anything. Got 65 of them so far and 45 mini cons, all for her, going to try and get more if any are released over here.

-Chuckles

Me, I Blame college, I lived on the same floor with a transfan who was constatnly showing me the newest stuf in the BW/BM line and I saw RID on the horizon. Well I started small (Tankor) and next semester blew part of my student loan check on a reissue Ultra Magnus and a G2 Sidewsipe on E-bay (from Italy none the less!) since then I've been picking up the figs I like and encoding Energon onto my computer. My one regret, NOT ENOUGH DECEPTICONS!!! :tfmad

Combination of things. My buddy started looking at GI Joes on Ebay Sr. year of high school... was like "well... i wonder if Transformers are on here too..." So i looked. Memories slowly came back, and when I got to college... used the T1 to DL the movie. That sucked me right back in. Soon as I got home from school (quit that after a semester for non-TF related reasons), I started hitting ebay. It was Black Convoy that rekindled the spark for the toys. My jaw dropped when i saw him and I had to have him. So i did... soon after, most of the rest of CR/RiD followed. With the reissues starting to reappear at that point in time.... it's been downhill since then. :D

While browsing the web I clicked a link that brought me to a pic of Alternator Smokescreen. well, being a huge rally fan , and actually driving an imprezza in real life, i freaked out and began my hunt. While on my hunt, I walked into a toys r us and saw all those beautiful reissues. By then it was too late too turn back, and as soon as I watched superlink ep1 I knew I had to collect these toys. Since then i've spent way more than i'd like to admit and blanketed every square inch of empty space in my office with transforming robots.

I'm hooked now

My friends and family think i've lost it.

i always had a small collection from the childhood days . but my gf started me into it hardcore again she bought me a tf shirt and introduced me to ebay . bam now im addicted i must own them all . im mostly a g1 collector now but when i get them all i will start on the other lines . maybe get an optimus collection started . who knows :thumb

Guest Krusty The Klown

i had a few from when i was a kid, but they all passed away i think

i got a few of beast wars, atleast 1 of every guy, then didnt buy anything of BM

RiD i got prime/magnus, and didnt buy anything which i regret not getting the autobot bros and the galvatron of that line

then armada, in nov of last year i got overload, jetfire, and prime and the night assult minicons

next day i got the requim blaster, darksaber, skyboomshield, tidal wave and galvatron

the monday after that i got thundercracker, later the week unicron followed

then nothing, until both hasbro and tak primes i got for $162

hotshot of energon followed, as did starscream and inferno of that line

a few days later, skyblast and strongarm made it into my house

battle ravage also joined that week

2 or so weeks ago i got rapid run fr/tru, then went to walmart and got rodimus/prowl

a week ago cruellock was purchased from walmart

after that scorponok ended up in my room as well

alt sideswipe i got last friday or so, but im trading/returning him soon hopefully, i didnt like him too much

a few days ago i got universe skywarp, who is in my car for some reason, no idea where to put him

current collection on display

skyblast

strongarm

armada prime

night assult minicons

overload

blurr

skyboom minicons

jetfire

galvatron

darksaber

rid prime

rid magnus

E starscream

U skywarp

A unicron

MP CONVOY

E scorponok

Requim blaster

cruellock

battle ravage

A thundercracker

A tidal wave

PLX hotshot/inferno

PLX prowl/rodimus

I actually started collecting in college back in 1985 when G1 was fresh. A couple of guys and I on my dorm floor used to watch the cartoon every afternoon to unwind from the stress of studying. We started making runs to the local toy stores to find the characters from the show and all our collections grew. I stopped collecting when G1 ended but got back into it when Beast wars started. I really enjoyed that show with cool characters and the CGI transformations which were true to the toys. Been a close to completionist since except for repaints. I don't do repaints. I'm now almost 38 and my collection is growing even faster. My slush fund is starting to suffer......

Archived