Are you pissed with Michael Bay?

AutobotMarine

pete is right. basic-looking bots would make the movie fail instantly. and besides, there's no reason to change great personas anyway! bay at least recognizes the same thing my sig image says......to an extent

megatron...could he work? i cant judge any opinions on him until i see his face making "megatron-esque" expressions. but i would rather he didnt have that

"normal mode" because battle mode just plain looks better. let the bot keep his plating!

and it's hard to hate the cop car and chopper bots. i liked them both when i first saw pics of them. but i'll be damned if i can remember their names!

Once again I highly concur. The fans don't realize the weakness in the longrun will make the movie fail. They cannot create a whole bunch of boring retro designs, or rehash them from the past into this movie. That has been done in the past, and the fans want to see something neo. For all I care, all of the movie characters can keep their designs, since that is what makes the characters highly unique. They would be a bore to watch if they were based upon G1 designs, or any other designs that the fans have already seen before.

That viewpoint isn't totally infalliable... the "retro look" has worked fine for Spidey in the Spiderman movies so far. At the same time, the updated X-Men looks were cool too... I think it mainly depends on the style you're going for with the film overall... :schin

The thing about Spider-Man is that he's a pretty lighthearted character. He's not Batman or something. You really don't need to get all emo and dark about a guy who calls himself "your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man". The traditional costume works for him IMO. (Notice how non-traditional the costumes for Green Goblin and Doc Ock were, by contrast -- they were serious bad guys and their looks were an attempt to reflect that.)

Doc Ock, maybe... Green Goblin looked like he fell off the casting couch for Power Rangers and hit his head on the coffee table on the way down.

But that kinda goes with what I was saying... The Transformers, over the years, particularly the Autobots, have usually been portrayed as somewhat "Friendly Neighborhood Robots" design wise, if you will... so, had they wanted to take the movie in a more nostalgic, light hearted direction, I think they still could have made it work to a point. Not to say I feel at all like they should have, just that they could have.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pete is right. basic-looking bots would make the movie fail instantly. and besides, there's no reason to change great personas anyway! bay at least recognizes the same thing my sig image says......to an extent

megatron...could he work? i cant judge any opinions on him until i see his face making "megatron-esque" expressions. but i would rather he didnt have that

"normal mode" because battle mode just plain looks better. let the bot keep his plating!

and it's hard to hate the cop car and chopper bots. i liked them both when i first saw pics of them. but i'll be damned if i can remember their names!

Once again I highly concur. The fans don't realize the weakness in the longrun will make the movie fail. They cannot create a whole bunch of boring retro designs, or rehash them from the past into this movie. That has been done in the past, and the fans want to see something neo. For all I care, all of the movie characters can keep their designs, since that is what makes the characters highly unique. They would be a bore to watch if they were based upon G1 designs, or any other designs that the fans have already seen before.

That viewpoint isn't totally infalliable... the "retro look" has worked fine for Spidey in the Spiderman movies so far. At the same time, the updated X-Men looks were cool too... I think it mainly depends on the style you're going for with the film overall... :schin

The thing about Spider-Man is that he's a pretty lighthearted character. He's not Batman or something. You really don't need to get all emo and dark about a guy who calls himself "your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man". The traditional costume works for him IMO. (Notice how non-traditional the costumes for Green Goblin and Doc Ock were, by contrast -- they were serious bad guys and their looks were an attempt to reflect that.)

Doc Ock, maybe... Green Goblin looked like he fell off the casting couch for Power Rangers and hit his head on the coffee table on the way down.

hence my very intentional use of the word "attempt"... they tried but did not succeed IMO.

Funny how the film is still awesome despite a character design that fans don't like :eek

hence my very intentional use of the word "attempt"... they tried but did not succeed IMO.

Funny how the film is still awesome despite a character design that fans don't like :eek

Way to bring it all back home to the topic at hand, my friend! :clap

(I'm mildly amused at our ability to have a civil debate on an issue that I'm pretty sure we're both on the same side of, BTW :tflaugh )

...just my 2 cents... :redface I was hoping for a Binaltech/ Alternator movie to go with this line. I was a little disappointed when this fell through. When news of the movie first came out I immediately assumed (<---gets me in trouble all the time) that since we were all told there would be no T.V. show to go with the BT line and the fact they were really slow to give us a story behind this line that the up coming movie was going to be based on the BT line. Oh well, maybe we'll see at least a comic book. As for the movie, I'll probably see it with my son but I'm still meh with the bot designs. I do like aspects of Prime but will save final judgement when we get clear views of the bots in the movie.

Since the trailer came out, I think alot of people have come around to at least giving it a fair chance...

With a few exceptions, mainly the only ones who are still adamantly against the new movie unconditionally are the geewun purists, who have been adamantly against EVERY new TF series since G1. :roll

That is why some of the G1 fans just ignore the hell out of me. They just are so reluctant to expand into any other series other than G1 and Beast Wars which have been off the air for years. It's quite obvious they will hate this movie due to the revamp of the every single transformer design. They hated Armada, Energon (which I can't blame them for), and Cybertron. They will always remain resistant and averse to any new TF series that Hasbro conceives, and especially to this film.

You know, you (and by you I'm referring to all those who insist on hating the people who aren't all glassy-eyed and fawning over what's been released for the movie) could just try to accept the idea that there are some people who aren't as impressed by what's been revealed so far. Quit trying to blame 'purists' and blame it on taste. It's different between people you know. One person will absolutely adore something that the next person thinks is utter crap. It's the way the world works.

Bottom line, if you like what you've seen so far then you'll probably be in line for a ticket. If you don't like what you've seen so far, then you'll probably also be in line, but (likely) won't enjoy it.

...just my 2 cents... :redface I was hoping for a Binaltech/ Alternator movie to go with this line. I was a little disappointed when this fell through. When news of the movie first came out I immediately assumed (<---gets me in trouble all the time) that since we were all told there would be no T.V. show to go with the BT line and the fact they were really slow to give us a story behind this line that the up coming movie was going to be based on the BT line. Oh well, maybe we'll see at least a comic book. As for the movie, I'll probably see it with my son but I'm still meh with the bot designs. I do like aspects of Prime but will save final judgement when we get clear views of the bots in the movie.

I don't think Alt Sideswipe would have been able to climb out of that swimming pool...

The thing to keep in mind is that Optimus Prime (for example) has been re-formatted into Earth Truck Mode, whereas Megatron seems to still be in full-on Cybertronian Mode. I suspect that a re-formatted Megatron would look more recognizable... perhaps

They'll save the reformatting and return of Megatron for one of the sequals I'm sure.

this whole thread is pointless, G1 fans are entitled to their opinions just like every one else, I cant wait for this movie and think Bay will do us proud, when people become familiar with it then they will love it

this whole thread is pointless, G1 fans are entitled to their opinions just like every one else, I cant wait for this movie and think Bay will do us proud, when people become familiar with it then they will love it

I do agree that all of this pre-movie back and forth discussion/debate will become utterly irrelevant once we all see the actual movie. Go back and watch the trailer for any movie you've already seen and you'll know what I mean.

I have to admit, I wanted the same thing. I just knew Screamer would look like MP Screamer and I was hoping that at least Alt Tracks was going to be in the movie since they are using GM vehicles. I just knew the Alts, since Hasbro has all the licensing already, would be natural choices for the movie. Too bad the toy licenses are different from movie licenses. That and the movie writers decided to use the 3 Autobots that dont have Alt toys yet any way.

Archived