TF shopping during Xmas

carbonblue

The past couple of times I've been at TRU I've had mothers asking me TF toy recommendations; one even asked me about SW:TFs. Has anyone else had this happen to them lately? If so, what have you recommended?

I've found myself recommending the Classics line (including 20th DVD Prime) as well as some of the Ultra Cybertron figures. I do feel for the kid of one mom who probably wanted a 2 pack minicon and was dissuaded by this TF fan to get a Classic Bumblebee instead :tflaugh

I talked this guy into buying Classics Megatron.

My main XMas shopping issues though is, not being able to buy every thing I see.

I will recommend what I would consider the most fun TF to play with that's on the shelf. I wouldn't recommend any of the Classics for the child if there are better Cybertron figures on sale, because remember that a large part of the Classics' appeal is the G1 nostalgia thing, which children wouldn't have.

You shouldn't recommend TFs based on what you would necessarily like, but on what you think their child might think would be really cool. Also when talking to a parent, value for money is also important.

I would most likely recommend Red alert. He's fun to play with - i.e.: poseable, good sculpt, nice colours, neat gimmicks (interchangeable arm-tools, key-activated spring-out weapons) and is a recognisable character from the A/E/C story arc which more kids can identify with - and is relatively inexpensive; these two factors combined representing good value for money.

If you compared this toy to Bumblebee, to a kid while the colour scheme isn't terrible, it's a bit bland (you'll notice that they've used more white and silver accents throughout the toy to spice it up from the colour scheme of the original Bumblebee), and although the robot mode is poseable (which has become fairly standard for TF robot modes today) there are no gimmicks or even accessories/weapons to play with and the character isn't recognisable from the A/E/C story arc. In fact, this would be Bumblebee's first appearance since G2 which ended 11 years ago.

I will recommend what I would consider the most fun TF to play with that's on the shelf. I wouldn't recommend any of the Classics for the child if there are better Cybertron figures on sale, because remember that a large part of the Classics' appeal is the G1 nostalgia thing, which children wouldn't have.

You shouldn't recommend TFs based on what you would necessarily like, but on what you think their child might think would be really cool. Also when talking to a parent, value for money is also important.

I would most likely recommend Red alert. He's fun to play with - i.e.: poseable, good sculpt, nice colours, neat gimmicks (interchangeable arm-tools, key-activated spring-out weapons) and is a recognisable character from the A/E/C story arc which more kids can identify with - and is relatively inexpensive; these two factors combined representing good value for money.

If you compared this toy to Bumblebee, to a kid while the colour scheme isn't terrible, it's a bit bland (you'll notice that they've used more white and silver accents throughout the toy to spice it up from the colour scheme of the original Bumblebee), and although the robot mode is poseable (which has become fairly standard for TF robot modes today) there are no gimmicks or even accessories/weapons to play with and the character isn't recognisable from the A/E/C story arc. In fact, this would be Bumblebee's first appearance since G2 which ended 11 years ago.

Untrue. He has his jetski/jetpack :thumb

Anyway, I do what I always do during this time of year. Keep my head down, get what I need and get out. And that applies to all shopping, not just TF's.

Anyway, I do what I always do during this time of year. Keep my head down, get what I need and get out. And that applies to all shopping, not just TF's.

Does that apply to chicks too?

:tflaugh

How often have you played with your Classics Bumblebee? I dunno about you, but when I play with mine, I gotta steal CYB Landmine's gun/launcher to lend to Bumblebee, cos it's yellow and kinda fits in Bumblebee's fist hole... although it's a bit loose, so if he doesn't any cool actions like jumping, he's liable to drop his gun in mid flight, which just ruins all those cool Matrix-style fight sequences I would do with him... damnit!!

Archived