Your First Transformer

Pessimist Prime

Guest Wallas

I began to buy TFs at age of 4, but turned into a professional collector at age of 14. And now I'm 18 :P

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about being old.  I'll be 36 next weekend.  I started at day one 1984, that's right I was 14.  I had an original Ultra Magnus, twin twist, topspin, the three original dinobots (who I loved the most), hoist,  grapple,  all of the cassettes, Superion, Devestator, Hot Rod, etc, etc.  I stopped a few years later before leaving for college.  To this day I have no idea where any of them went.  I would love just to have the Dinos back, after all these years they're still my favorites. :tfevil

I didn't start up again until I started living on Okinawa, Japan.  After college I joined the USAF and in 1999 got stationed there.  I started buying Gundams & smaller TFs for my sons and then BAM!.  I caught the TF fever all over again....... I

This thread Needs to be sticky'D. It keeps coming back.

I'm 28 and I started seriously collecting when I was 20. Sure I had a bunch as a kid but I wouldn't Call it collecting cause I couldn't afford to buy my own and the weren't given to me with a regular frequency. I bacame a fan with G1.

29. Started collecting when I was 7 back in 1984 - been collecting continuously ever since. Current collection stands at 872 figures (not including variants).

* My first Transformer was Brawn.

* In 1987 I entered a TF art competition run by the Sydney Herald... I won Battletrap as my prize. My schoolyard friends and I invent a new sport: Throttlebot racing.

* By time I finished junior high school, I had over a hundred Transformers and a decent collection of G1 Marvel Comics.

* I would read Transformers comics in school.

* For a school Art assignment, I drew and wrote an alternative ending for the last five issues of G1. This comic book won a regional prize.

* My interest in TFs dipped during G2 - watched the crummy cartoons, picked up most of the comics and a few of the toys... meh... G2 didn't have that much to offer. Started getting into animé and wanted to learn Japanese. Was amongst the first generation of otaku to found the University animé clubs, which still exist today. Went to live/study in Japan.

* Beast Wars!! Transfandom is reborn!! Huttah! I join the Australian Transformers Fan Club; Austrans (now known as OzFormers) and get networked with Australian and other international TF fans.

* 1998: Umm... I met a Tasmanian Transfan for the first (and only) time. :P

* Transformers 2000: Beast Machines and Car Robot. We feared the Millenium Bug!! Tiger Convoy, a Transfan from Tokyo whom I met on a Japanese TF board comes to Sydney and becomes an overnight legend in the Sydney animé/TF community.

* 2001: Transfans from 3 states (+ Tiger Convoy) assemble in Melbourne. My collection clocks over the four hundred mark. Cataphract becomes the first Australian fan to do Transformers Cosplay with his Optimus Prime costume.

* 2002: Cataphract runs for student union presidency at Sydney University with his "Transform Your Union!" campaign. As part of his campaigning, he greets student voters above City Road in his Optimus Prime costume. The probability of an Australian TF convention is debated and looks possible. Plans are made for a "test run" to be conducted in 2003.

* 2003: The OzFormers Booth is held at SupaNova in Sydney - we test the fandom to see if the public is ready for a TF con. They are ready! The first Australian convention exclusive merchandise (comic book & posters) are sold. I also went to Perth and met up with some Transfans - we attend the Nexus Fair. That Xmas, I make my Optimus Prime costume for a AUNSW cosplay party.

* 2004: Energon Scorponok becomes my 666th Transformer! At SupaNova Sydney, I enter the Cosplay comp with my Optimus Prime costume and WIN! My prize - Super Dimensional Fortress Macross DVD box set! Sweeeet. Sabretron, Australia's first Transformers convention is held in Ashfield, Sydney NSW. Transfans from all over the East Coast, including as far away as Toowoomba QLD, gather! As well as a new exclusive comic, the Autobot Chainmasters become the first Australian convention exclusive action figures - given away as free gifts to all attendees. Throttlebot racing is reborn in the form of the Throttlebot Grand Prix and Stunticon Obstacle Course!! (take that, DutchBot's Trypticon Racing!! :P) - a Canberran fan wins the TF trivia contest.

* 2005: My Animania Idol performance of the Transformers Victory theme song at Sydney Town Hall brings the house down!

* 2006: In a futile attempt to rendezvous with Remy in Hong Kong, Goki joins TFans. HAR!

I am wondering by these posts. I could have said that I started collecting in 1984 when I got my first TF, which was Huffer. But I considered this question to be, when did I make a conscious decision to collect Transformers, rather than just buying them when I was a kid because they were the cool toy.

damn. Reading some of this I feel like the REAL old man around here.

I'm 22 but I started back in 1984! YEAR IT ALL BEGAN BABY! Sure I was one year old but I have memories of that frozen Christmas of 84 when I got my first bots. Blitzwing, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack and Tracks. My brother got Optimus, Megatron and Perceptor.

You have the best memory ever!! I was 6 in 84. I dont remember any thing before I was 4 yrs old.

29. Started collecting when I was 7 back in 1984 - been collecting continuously ever since. Current collection stands at 872 figures (not including variants).

* My first Transformer was Brawn.

* In 1987 I entered a TF art competition run by the Sydney Herald... I won Battletrap as my prize. My schoolyard friends and I invent a new sport: Throttlebot racing.

* By time I finished junior high school, I had over a hundred Transformers and a decent collection of G1 Marvel Comics.

* I would read Transformers comics in school.

* For a school Art assignment, I drew and wrote an alternative ending for the last five issues of G1. This comic book won a regional prize.

* My interest in TFs dipped during G2 - watched the crummy cartoons, picked up most of the comics and a few of the toys... meh... G2 didn't have that much to offer. Started getting into animé and wanted to learn Japanese. Was amongst the first generation of otaku to found the University animé clubs, which still exist today. Went to live/study in Japan.

* Beast Wars!! Transfandom is reborn!! Huttah! I join the Australian Transformers Fan Club; Austrans (now known as OzFormers) and get networked with Australian and other international TF fans.

* 1998: Umm... I met a Tasmanian Transfan for the first (and only) time. :P

* Transformers 2000: Beast Machines and Car Robot. We feared the Millenium Bug!! Tiger Convoy, a Transfan from Tokyo whom I met on a Japanese TF board comes to Sydney and becomes an overnight legend in the Sydney animé/TF community.

* 2001: Transfans from 3 states (+ Tiger Convoy) assemble in Melbourne. My collection clocks over the four hundred mark. Cataphract becomes the first Australian fan to do Transformers Cosplay with his Optimus Prime costume.

* 2002: Cataphract runs for student union presidency at Sydney University with his "Transform Your Union!" campaign. As part of his campaigning, he greets student voters above City Road in his Optimus Prime costume. The probability of an Australian TF convention is debated and looks possible. Plans are made for a "test run" to be conducted in 2003.

* 2003: The OzFormers Booth is held at SupaNova in Sydney - we test the fandom to see if the public is ready for a TF con. They are ready! The first Australian convention exclusive merchandise (comic book & posters) are sold. I also went to Perth and met up with some Transfans - we attend the Nexus Fair. That Xmas, I make my Optimus Prime costume for a AUNSW cosplay party.

* 2004: Energon Scorponok becomes my 666th Transformer! At SupaNova Sydney, I enter the Cosplay comp with my Optimus Prime costume and WIN! My prize - Super Dimensional Fortress Macross DVD box set! Sweeeet. Sabretron, Australia's first Transformers convention is held in Ashfield, Sydney NSW. Transfans from all over the East Coast, including as far away as Toowoomba QLD, gather! As well as a new exclusive comic, the Autobot Chainmasters become the first Australian convention exclusive action figures - given away as free gifts to all attendees. Throttlebot racing is reborn in the form of the Throttlebot Grand Prix and Stunticon Obstacle Course!! (take that, DutchBot's Trypticon Racing!! :P) - a Canberran fan wins the TF trivia contest.

* 2005: My Animania Idol performance of the Transformers Victory theme song at Sydney Town Hall brings the house down!

* 2006: In a futile attempt to rendezvous with Remy in Hong Kong, Goki joins TFans. HAR!

Thats quite a list of stuff there. The only thing I ever contributed to a convention was in 2001 when the Anime North Panel director asked me to be on the Transformers Panel... with some other guy who I forgot his name. It roxd. I don't remember much besides talking about how Devestator could be inside Astrotrain and smacking some otaku down about how there was no such thing as a Diaclone cartoon.

30 and I started back in 1984 (when I was 8 yrs old).

I remember the Diaclones at the drugstore and dissing them because they weren't "official" TFs.

I always will prefer the the 1984-1987 G1 TFs

And the ones I collect now are Binaltech and Alternators

I started at 14 sophmore year in High School. That's when I also got back into reading comic books. 

Archived