TFans as a subculture

gkopw

"beliefs, social forms, material traits, attitudes, values and goals"

Beliefs - G1, BW, and BM rule. A/E/C is teh suxxors

Social Forms - I don't know, message boards?

Material Traits - Hording, pack rat tendencies

Attitudes - Greedy, but not selfish

Values and Goals - To fill a hole in my pathetic life by accumulating as many children's toys as possible

I took some sociology in high school. I can tell you some things wrong with this sertile.

Beliefs-you can't go by what some people feel and others feel. There has to be a generalized thing. So saying one version of TFs rule over another is wrong. To say they rule in general is more in the right direction. So how you may feel personally is one thing, how I may feel is another. But you can't base the beliefs of a subculture one only a few people. There has to be a large enough sample pool to consolidate your claims.

Social Forms-Hmmm :schin

Material Traits-I think you're on the right track

Attitudes-Well, I don't like to think of it as greedy. Maybe single minded is more like it :tflaugh . And no, most of us are not selfish. In fact, some of the time, some of us go out of our ways to help another Transfan.

Values and Goals-Well, your statement is debatable IMO

Don't forget, we have social norms and stuff.

Yeah, I studied sociology and anthropology in college but I was really just answering for myself, and half-joking at the same time (meaning I never meant for my responses to be considered a serious analysis).

That said, I think it's probably fair to describe myself as "greedy" to a certain extent, considering how concerned I am with material goods, but I specifically threw in the "not selfish" part because I've helped and been helped by fellow Transfans in the past, and most of the people I've met here seem like good people who really care for other fans, and not just greedy, hoarding bastards like some collectors can be.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TF fans a subculture? Hmm, maybe. Not as much as sports fans are or Big Brother fans, wherever those people come from. I doubt there are TF fans who would attack one another for a TF, unlike with sports fans who tend to attack one another for any reason at all:

TF fan 1: "Mine!"

TF fan 2: No, it's mine, touch it and die the deaths of a thousand flies"

TF fan 1: Okay, let's compromise...look, it's Peter Cullen!"

TF fan 2: "Where?"

TF fan 1, grabs TF and runs for the check out: "Sucker!" Then gets tackled by a kid with a Power Ranger toy sword.

Maybe in the US TF fans might be more of a subculture, but I doubt that would be the case beyond the US, other than in Japan. Here I think it's something rather like bird watching, you see all the normal sparrows and that and then when you see a rare one, you make a little mistake and miss it and spend the rest of the next few months, or years, cursing and wanting to kill whoever handles the marketing and distrubution for Hasbro UK. Kill, kill, yesss, or just bang round the side of the head with a plank that has a nail in it.

-~'.,

Archived