TFans as a subculture

gkopw

Most of you probably don't remember me, since I almost never post on here anymore, but I was one of the first members of this site. I figured I would get that out of the way so that it doesn't seem like I'm just some weird scientist.

I'm in college right now, and I have to write a paper on a subculture of my choice. I have tried desperately to think of something that I belong to. Suddenly I remembered TransFormers! A subculture is "a set of people with distinct sets of behavior and beliefs that differentiate them from a larger culture of which they are a part." I figure that TFans fit this!

So my question is two-fold: do you think we constitute an american subculture at this point? And would anybody be interested in doing an online (email or AIM) interview with me regarding it?

:usa

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of you probably don't remember me, since I almost never post on here anymore, but I was one of the first members of this site. I figured I would get that out of the way so that it doesn't seem like I'm just some weird scientist.

I'm in college right now, and I have to write a paper on a subculture of my choice. I have tried desperately to think of something that I belong to. Suddenly I remembered TransFormers! A subculture is "a set of people with distinct sets of behavior and beliefs that differentiate them from a larger culture of which they are a part." I figure that TFans fit this!

So my question is two-fold: do you think we constitute an american subculture at this point? And would anybody be interested in doing an online (email or AIM) interview with me regarding it?

:usa

I don't know the answer to your question but I think everone will remember your avatar :thumb

av-2167.gif

i'm not sure if Transformer fans are an entire sub-culture as much as a sub culture of a sub culture. Collectors overall is one i'd think. All i have is time in front of my comp so i could help ya if you wanted, though I'm sure others are better qualified.

Dear George Bush,

I need money to buy a MISB Fortress Maximus.

Thanks in advance

-Galvasean

Hm good points. I agree with the idea that we are a subculture inside of a subcultre. That's a very good point, but I'm sure I can still write about it. It will just give me an extra paragraph toward the 8 page target.

The offer is still open to have involvement with this project if anyone wants to. I would just need some sort of contact information so that I can get in touch with you when I eventually need to.

Here's some things that anyone could actually think about: our "beliefs, social forms, material traits, attitudes, values and goals" and our "demographics, history, values, traditions, language, belifs, styles, habits." These are interesting things to consider. Things that bring us together as a group beyond simply "I like tranformers". It's interesting to consider.

That avatar so shouts, "I've never been laid!" ;)

Ain't that the truth!

Archived