2 Roadbots : 1/18 Toyota Celica & Land Cruiser

Pascal

Was able to score 2 Roadbots tonight in the Vancouver area : the 1/18 blue Toyota Celica (tuner version) from Ages three and up and the 1/18 Toyota Land Cruiser from Real Canadian Superstore. Unfortunately, we lost our camera but give me the time to open them and I will give you guys my first impressions.

1-Both are packaged in bot mode and are fairly heavy. You can test the lights and sounds in package.

2-Starting with the Celica. Robot has back quibble that limits the poseability of the arms and the legs. You can't really spread the legs apart (jut a bit), but they do have knees. Head can turn. Arms themselves has a good range of poseability. Sword (with lights and sounds) is huge. Kick ass weapon. Colors apps (blue, silver, black and red) look fine to me. Head has some rubber to it. Tires are rubber too! Retractable guns on left forearm, and a claw on the left one!

3-Transformation is pretty alternator-esque, but also involves detaching and reattaching some parts (hood/chest, back section, the parts under the doors). Transformation is a cross between Windcharger (shoulders), Sideswipe (arms) and Tracks (legs). Pretty clever. You can store the sword under the car and the handle/soundbox becomes the engine.

4-Car mode is really solid and nicely detailed. Chrome wheels, detailed interior, fairing, turning wheels. Push on the hood and you hear a siren; push on the engine and you hear the weapon sound. Lights are flashing too. Really cool!

5-Land Cruiser is HUGE in robot mode. Reminds me of Energon Ironhide, but REALLY different. I love how you have to form the feet. Hard to explain, but really clever. Sword makes lights and sounds. Rear door becomes shield. Better poseabilty overall (head turns too), arms, legs that can spread and be posed pretty how you want them to. Good joints. Premier faux pas : robot has too right fists!

6-Transformation reminds me of Energon Ironhide too, but with several new twists. Difficulty is between a very good mega and an Alternator. Everything pegs in perfectly.

7-SUV mode is huge. Feels more plastic than the Celica but is very solid. No clear windows on this one, all are painted black. No detailed interior either. All 4 doors can open, rear one and hood too. Trunk has some storage space. No painted/chromed side mirrors. Chromed front grill, wheels, Toyota logo on spare tire (which also activates the sounds and lights).

Overall, I'm happy. I take this as a new line on its own. It's not Alternators, it's not Energon/Cybertron/whatever, it's something new and different. The vehicles look good, the robots are imposing, they have cool weaponry and gimmicks, challenging transformations, decent poseability.

One thing that feels weird : the toy feels semi-floppy when you're in-between modes, but both finished modes are really solid.

Btw, A3U had more Roadbots on display, including the 1/12 Ford GT. That thing is HUGE. 17'' tall in robot mode, you have to see it to believe it! And it looks awesome. Car mode is 16'' long. A very promising (and affordable!) line.

101_0114.jpg

101_0115.jpg

101_0116.jpg

101_0117.jpg

101_0119.jpg

101_0120.jpg

101_0121.jpg

101_0122.jpg

101_0123.jpg

101_0124.jpg

I'm sorry, I won't be able to show you pictures of Land Cruiser as it's already boxed (we're moving at the end of the week).

Shelf space is at a premium, so I would agree, 1:24 would be cooler for these roadbots

Archived