I think the movie toys are going to be cool

My Alt. Mode Sucks

I know John Rogers confirmed he had help from Furman. Thats some sense of attention to the rights and wrongs. the other guys keep jumping around on big name projects which scares me.

With all the bad hype they've gotten on the project from snob-fans, it'll be no surprise if they go out of their way to piss them off. Same way

Kevin Smith went after them with his Clerks 2 bit

paraphrased:

"the problem with Transformers, is that its a bad 80s cartoon show based on a toy that most people didn't care about until it was gone so now overweight overaged idiots can complain about like it mattered to them personally!"

(Randall says this to the movie's 18 year old sci-fi/tf/lotr nerd)

If in the worst case scenario I'm looking at this movie like I saw Stealth but with an influence of Armaggedon. kick ass machines surrounded by big explosions. Nuf said.

thoughts on the success of the toys: no question of if/why that the toys will be the best thing for the movie should it fail to meet expectations.

I mean from a corporate aspect: Hasbro wins.

a few dozen toys that cost more than the ticket price mean Hasbro will get its profit. The company name is listed in the credits bigger than Michael Bay's. So if I'm guessing right, then like Superman Returns (whose total revenue was divided somewhere between 50/50 to 60/40 between Warner Bros and Legendary films), Paramount and Hasbro get maybe a 40/60 share of the total take.

for all I say I could be wrong. a strong chance of that if I know my luck, but I'm saying this based on the stock investor's report I get. According to that Hasbro said diverting a large amount of its TF's will be the 'premiere line' for the next three to five years. They know how Star Wars costs them in some aspects on the general market and why the next lines of Star Wars will be more directed to collectors.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not like SW fans don't Starscream as much as TF fans do

Granted, it's nice they gave us the original movies on DVD, but the SW fans DID Starscream even though the remastered versions didn't really change so much as to destroy the experience

And I didn't see Clerks 2 but I do feel Smith's attack on Transfans was inappropriate...the man is as nerdy as they come so he has no room to speak

And I didn't see Clerks 2 but I do feel Smith's attack on Transfans was inappropriate...the man is as nerdy as they come so he has no room to speak

I think Smith's own nerdiness is why things like that "attack" are in the film. That's kinda part of the joke.

Also, please try not to confuse things said/done by a character Kevin Smith wrote with things Kevin Smith actually said/did. "Smith's attack" = 'Randal's Attack". There's a subtle but important difference.

Oh! And also, try not to comment on things you haven't seen/experienced for yourself. Context is your friend. Thanks.

And, just to be on-topic, movie toys are gonna rule!

|IIII|IIII|IIII|IIII|IIII|IIII|IIII|IIII|

1 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40

Rule!

*well, so much for typing out a ruler*

I think Smith's own nerdiness is why things like that "attack" are in the film. That's kinda part of the joke.

Also, please try not to confuse things said/done by a character Kevin Smith wrote with things Kevin Smith actually said/did. "Smith's attack" = 'Randal's Attack". There's a subtle but important difference.

Oh! And also, try not to comment on things you haven't seen/experienced for yourself. Context is your friend. Thanks.

I agree, I would think something like that from him is just giving us a good ribbing and maybe, I dare say, poking fun at himself.

Oh! And also, try not to comment on things you haven't seen/experienced for yourself. [...]

Am I the only one who enjoyed the irony/humor in these two sentences? :D

What makes you think I haven't seen/experienced the movie toys for myself? :mwahaha

:redface *hasn't*

But still, there's a Grand Canyon of Difference between optimistic expectations for something not available to the general public yet, and commenting on something that's out there and available that you haven't, for whatever reason, gotten to yet.

Ok, with the exception of OP, which character looks like a TF-type design? None of them, I'm not just talking the character looking like G1 guys or w/e. I'm talking about the traditional more angular robotic design.

I don't know how to catagorize Mr.Bay's team's designs, but some has described it as organic. If you look at the BW TFs, they look like transformers, the head and body design follow basic artistic rules of G1 characters, given that their alt mode are animals. These 'things' in the movie doesn't follow that artistic rule, hence making look like 'another kind' of transforming alien robots, and that's the one of the reasons I'm still not buying into it.

Personally, I love the idea of Starscream being another kind of flying vechile (I.E. a helicopter), I don't have a problem w/ that. I think the best example for my point of view is to looks at the TF Evolutions Comics.

Starscream is a 3 engine plane. Shockwave is a boat. Bumble bee and the insecticons are steam engines. These are not their G1 adopted Alt modes, and are considerably different from G1 designs. BUT, when you look at the image, you recgonize that, oh that's starscream, and oh that's bumblebee, w/e. That's what I'm refering to.

paraphrased:

"the problem with Transformers, is that its a bad 80s cartoon show based on a toy that most people didn't care about until it was gone so now overweight overaged idiots can complain about like it mattered to them personally!"

(Randall says this to the movie's 18 year old sci-fi/tf/lotr nerd)

I think there is an element of truth in that quote.

1/ The Transformers was a bad 80s cartoon. Mind you, most of the cartoons churned out during the 80s was crap and Transformers stacks up fairly well compared to a lot of other titles... but it was still a pretty mediocre series riddled with continuity flaws and one-dimensional characters. Little wonder that the Marvel Comics is arguably often Transfandom's preferred source of G1 canon.

2/ The rest of the quote is kinda true to a many "noob" fans (i.e.: those who left the fandom and have recently returned to it; some of these people may have never even thought about Transformers for years until something got them back into it). And IMHO a lot of the anti-Bay movie stuff seems to be coming from the noobs moreso than the long-term fans.

Although Randall's words are exaggeratedly harsh, it does seem to bear an element of truth.

JMO

Archived