Japanese TFs..... do you consider them transormers?

Hot Rod

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont collect them but hell yeah they're TFs

:pfx

I view them as Tfs the same way I view my Targetmasters Quake and Needlenose and every other Tf toy that never made it into the cartoon, as transformers.

PS: Overlord was released in Europe too :D

There are more Transformery than losers like Needlenose

I view them as Tfs the same way I view my Targetmasters Quake and Needlenose and every other Tf toy that never made it into the cartoon, as transformers.

PS: Overlord was released in Europe too :D

hmmm...i keep forgetting that, and now that i think more about I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Eruopean Overlord. I'm sure I have, but now i have to go double check, lol.

The toys are Transformers.

The same would apply for the cartoons allthough they are VERY different from the US shows. I think more than half of the people who loved the US cartoons would rate the Japanese cartoons as ok/meh/bad.

Headmasters was ok in my opinion. I own Masterforce but have only had time to watch one episode (I was curious) and I was not impressed.

hehehehe.

I will agree with the same HELL YES - Japanese Transformers definitely do count, and Japanese G1 is definitely still G1.

To say that Japanese TFs aren't Transformers and that their G1 continuity isn't part of G1 for NO other reason than because it's not what you grew up with is just being extremely inward-looking.

They are Transformers and they are G1. They may not be the same Transformers and the same G1 that you grew up with, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

How would you feel if a Japanese Transfan said that Western Transformers and G1 were invalid because they're different from what was in Japan? (I've never heard a Japanese Transfan say this btw) - I know I'd be pissed. Hell, I used to get miffed any time a Japanese fan referred to G1.5 Transformers as just "UK" or "European" exclusives -- I was always quick to point out that they were also available in Australia and New Zealand (hence, IMO, why Transformers Generations is careful to mention that the EU Transformers were also available in AU and NZ, lest they face the rantage of Goktimus Prime!! :P) -- I'm no Christian, but I agree with the part of the Bible which says "do unto others as you would have others do unto you." You wouldn't like it if someone discounted your G1 and TFs just because they were different from what they were used to... so don't do it to other people!

http://static.flickr.com/17/20330607_e738d8cc36_m.jpg"Be cool & love one another!"

Good point.

I am not sure if I would label the Japanese cartoons as simply "G1". I would then make the distinction between US G1 and Japanese G1. It is still G1 but not US G1.

One of the reasons for me saying so is that Headmasters disregarded Rebirth so it is not a direct continuation of the US show but an adaption to it. The Japanase probably wanted the show to be more to the taste of their target audience so they made their own.

Just disregarding Rebirth would not be enough though for me to call it an adaptation. There are also the changes in characters. Computron was no longer a walking computer, Kup no longer had his stories, Galvatron was no longer insane and Scourge & Cyclonus became the laughing stock of the Decepticons. Not to mention the Matrix being referred to as a "power pack". :wtf

So I cannot see it as a continuation of the US G1 cartoon similar to Stormbringer being an comic adaptation to the US shows. Afterall the Technobots show up but their characters are slightly more deeper than in the show. Scattorshot for instance is not a simple soldier but now he is also a scientist.

Which adds quite a bit to the character without losing the original Scattorshot. And that is where the Japanese shows lack. The do feature US G1 characters but they seem empty somehow.

But individual quality aside both, the Japanse cartoons and Stormbringer comics are a different take on the US G1 cartoon. And there have been many G1 Universes: US cartoons, Marvel comics, Japanese cartoons, Dreamwave comics and now the IDW comics. All creating vastly different interpetations of the US G1 show.

Though I must say that in my opinion the Japanese cartoons differ the most from the show they were based on (simply because they were made in Japan). I cannot blame the writers for some of the stuff as it is a completely different target audience but the changed characters do irk me. (See below.)

I do not mind it not being the same stuff that I grew up with. Heck Beast Wars was not the same stuff I grew up with either and I love it. However, Headmasters did feature characters that I grew up with and loved and changed them which causes me to dislike the show somewhat.

I mean I was SO dissapointed when Galvatron came back after the destruction of Cybertron. I really wanted him to slag the filthy bastard who destroyed Cybertron (the home of all Transformers including Galvatron) in the same way he destroyed Starscream.

But alas that did not happen. :tfsad

In short, I know I used to discount the Japanese cartoons but that time is way past. They are Transformers cartoons (which is also the only reason why I bought the DVD's) but they are so different from the US G1 show that I must make the distinction between US G1 and Japanese G1.

One other thing, I saw the first episode of Masterforce and it seems as if the Transformers there hide their presence from humans. But after all that happened before there is no real reason for them to do so. It seems as if this show was intended to be a seperate continuity from Headmasters but the writers changed their minds later in the show.

May be a LONG time before I finish that. Once I get season 3 of Star Trek Vogager in I can continue with seasons 3, 4, 5 and 6. (Still busy with season 2 right now.) I also need to finish watching Angel seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5.

And as if that was not enough. I also need to continue watching The Original Series of which I bought the whole series (currently halfway season 1). Next month will also see the release of the (repackaged) The Next Generation seasons 5 and 6.

Seeing how all of these take precedence over Masterforce, it may be a looong time before I watch those cartoons. Oh well, at least I made more progress than with the Armada box. Have not watched that at all. :tflaugh

Archived