Devastator colored minicon knock offs!

Bizzmoff

U kidding me, I got one set at Wal-Mart, and they all apart during the first transformation except for the tank. Total pieces of mega uber crap.

There was me getting all excited

The toy quality is about middle grade for the knock-offs I’ve bought before. In other words - slightly better than the first batch of  SWTF.

:tflaugh1

Imperial?  That company still around?

About 10 years or more ago, they produced a wave of multi colored Micromaster Knock off's.  The brand/logo I think was slapped on them as well. 

I have a bag of them somewhere.  Surprised they are still going. 

I have about two sets of the Constructicons, and the KO Starsaber. In all honesty I really hate Knockoffs. :tdown

Never heard of Roses, is it a national chain?

Their store is about as large as a small Wal*Mart but I only know of two in MS. I couldn't find anything on Google... except this.

Roses used to be a formidable regional competitor in the variety store arena. They dominated Virginia and North Carolina's small towns and had some stong inroads into the larger cities. In many cities, Roses was the first modern variety store and later, the first modern discount store.

In the '70s, they made a divisional distinction between the older dime stores and the discount stores, calling the former P.H. Rose and the latter Roses. The beginning of their problems as a company can be traced to this decision, becaue from then on, corporate funds were spent on recklessly growing the discount stores while ignoring the dime stores, which tended to be profitablke and better located with a more loyal customer base.

Keep in mind that Roses was not alone in this kind of business strategy. G.C. Murphy, Woolworth and Kresge all did the same thing, but that's a whole 'nother thread :)

After allowing P.H. Rose to atrophy, Roses spun off their dime stores in the mid '80s. The strategey worked for a few years. Discount stores were hot, and most of the small towns that Roses stores were located only had small Kmarts as competition, if that. After a while, they got compalcent in their merchandising and marketing but still kept building stores like there was no tomorrow.

Wal-Mart came in and changed the game for everyone. Instead of modernizing and building updated stores, Roses ignored Wal-Mart and kept churning out the same old badly-located midsized '70s style discount stores. Unfortunately, customers in turn ignored Roses, especially in the larger cities. Wthout the cash-cow dime stores to augment their income, Roses was strapped for funds and outshined by thir competition.

Bankruptcy ensued and all that saved Roses from becoming a historical footnote was the Pope family, owners of Variety Wholesalers, which had bought Roses' old dime stores in the '80s. Having purhased what was left of Macks/Maxway stores a few years earlier, Variety Wholesalers traded their lesser known nameplates for Maxway and Roses, taking what brand equity that was left in both stores and putting in a downsacle merchandise mix. They helped prune Roses down to its most essential locations, which kept it alive, but the bloom is certainly off the Roses these days :(

Archived