MP-03 Starscream Remold

Cool Hand Lube

I heard that he was a foot tall and 13" long in jet mode.

While a foot tall MP Starscream would be cool, it's unfortunately not the case.  Check out the original scans from Fan2Fan about it.

Check it out, yo!

Keep in mind that these measurements were for the first mold we saw, could be the designers made the robot taller with these mold changes.  The 13 inches in jet mode is close though....

I read that it was actualy a foot tall after those scans came out.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*copies & pastes post from TFW2005*

I think what I liked about MP-01 AND the original mold of MP-03 is how they were a cross between the toon and the original figure...

I had absolutely no problem with the original design of MP-03's legs. It was a cool blend of the G1 toon and toy, just like MP-01's.

However, having this waist kibble makes him look more like Masterpiece Energon Mirage than MP-03 Starscream.

The other alterations do look cool...and I think someone stated that you can choose where you want the kibble? If that's true, then all of my negative feelings about this guy are null and void.

Also, I was buying this because he looks like G1 Starscream with all sorts of articulation and he has a 80% accurate jet mode. In other words, if I wanted a 100% reproduction of an F-15, I would buy a MODEL JET.

Anyway, if the hip kibble can't be hidden or moved...I may just cancel my preorder. I could have justified spending $100+ on the original mold, but this? Nope. I may just save $100+ and stick to the upcoming Classics Starscream.

Not trying to be a whiner, but when you're shown something that is EXACTLY what you wanted and then they go and change it so drastically, it's really, really annoying.

I think what I liked about MP-01 AND the original mold of MP-03 is how they were a cross between the toon and the original figure...

I had absolutely no problem with the original design of MP-03's legs. It was a cool blend of the G1 toon and toy, just like MP-01's.

However, having this waist kibble makes him look more like Masterpiece Energon Mirage than MP-03 Starscream.

The other alterations do look cool...and I think someone stated that you can choose where you want the kibble? If that's true, then all of my negative feelings about this guy are null and void.

Also, I was buying this because he looks like G1 Starscream with all sorts of articulation and he has a 80% accurate jet mode. In other words, if I wanted a 100% reproduction of an F-15, I would buy a MODEL JET.

Anyway, if the hip kibble can't be hidden or moved...I may just cancel my preorder. I could have justified spending $100+ on the original mold, but this? Nope. I may just save $100+ and stick to the upcoming Classics Starscream.

Not trying to be a whiner, but when you're shown something that is EXACTLY what you wanted and then they go and change it so drastically, it's really, really annoying.

Very well put.

Very well put.

:pfx

Again, if its interchangeable from the leg to the hip, I'm all for that, but if he's going to have these on his hips, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.  And I do hope he's a foot tall, the taller the better.

After coming home and looking at it again, I'm really amazed at how much they changed! Take a look and see if you can find anymore.... sorry about the preschoolness of it-- I'm not a photoshop demon. Oh, and this is not to mention the obvious tailfin repositioning.

screamerdiff.jpg

I'm not exactly thrilled with the way the feet look either. Overall I liked the first version better. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what we end up with for the final product.

Classics SS seems to look better, more accuate, than this MP version does.

This is seeming very wtf-ish to me. I mean... if I want a figure that doesn't really look like the cartoon Starscream I could get his G1 version. It's cool and all, but I'll wait and see if Hasbro is selling him, then get him on discount if they keep the hips the way they are.

It just seems like this is the kind of thing they'd design first, and then they'd show what were the original pics later as a correction. :wtf

Some posts and stuff I've gathered from other sites, which have made me think further about this new redesign....

Presumably there were very reasons for revising the sculpt, I somehow doubt it was done on a whim. It's still the best rendition of Starscream there has ever been, so whining about these changes is akin to winning $8million on the lottery and complaining because last week someone got $10million.

Actually I would say this is more like winning an $8 million lottery and then someone tells you you're only getting fifty bucks.

Some details are not G1 accurate. But it's the same with Prime. Did he ever have pistons for elbows in G1? And opening vents for shins? And he has a complete different top edge of the cabin/windows.

Those are all minor details, which are very cool...not GIGANTIC pieces of KIBBLE that totally change the entire concept of the design (i.e., Transformer to GUNDAM)

It's always such a trip when something like this comes down the pipe... a few changes and people go from loving a mold completely to pitchforks and torches marching to Takara's offices to kill the monster...

Not lighting up any torches or pitchforks, but adding more kibble to "fix" something that actually had less kibble seems redundant to me.

The more I look at this new version of the toy... the more I like it over the original. Yeah, the hip kibble bothers me like it bothers most. But take it in stride, people, (1) dont damn it for one annoyance.

(2) The tailfins are now off the legs which gives him more G1 accuracy.

The midsection looks sleeker and less blocky now. The wings fold out farther to look more like they did in the show thanks to the extra bulk in vehicle mode. (3)The bulk which makes the jet mode so much nicer looking and lets them create a cleaner figure all around, even the underside of the jet is beautiful now with the new feet and side design. Not to mention the new cannons are much better than the originals.

(4) Learn to appreciate things, people... If you dont like the changes, fine, but don't damn the entire thing just for a few cosmetic changes and ignore the design changes. Does it change the fact that it's an incredible figure so far? No. Does some hip kibble make it go from Galaxy Convoy to Armada Sideswipe? No, and for all of the advantages in design it allows the rest of the toy, it's a very understandable sacrifice.

We haven't even seen everything the toy does, haven't even seen it in color, haven't even had an in-hand opinion of the toy and people are ready to condemn it as junk... amusing and sad at the same time.

1. It's supposed to be the MASTERPIECE edition...a blend of the G1 toon character design and its G1 toy counterpart - that's what MP-01 was (and MP-02 was just a repaint, so I'm not even going to get into that). The waist kibble just makes it look like every other Anime mecha design out there IMO. So from where I'm standing, that's really annoying.

2. By removing something that wasn't really inaccurate in the first place (because that's how his legs were on the original G1 toy), they have gone and made him look even LESS accurate.

3. I want Starscream, not a model jet. I can get one of those for $20.

4. I'm not saying it's junk, it's just not a Masterpiece edition of Starscream anymore...he's an Alternator now. And I'd totally buy it as an Alternator for $40 or even $50...but for $100+ ? No way. For that kind of pricetag on what is essentially a toy (albeit a complex one), we shouldn't have to accept any compromises.

Message Board fans are just funny..And saddly predictable too. This is still a REALLY great looking toy..But to see everyone just going on about how it's ruined, so much for that one, not getting it now etc etc etc...UGH! Don't you guys ever just get tired of it?! Nothing will ever be what you want..You want this to be the Gen-1 Starscream, grab $100 and go buy a reissue of the Gen-1 figure..There, satisfied? This is a new toy, from a new line...And frankly it looks amazing! You're gonna buy it, you know you will. So lose the next 8 pages of whining and just enjoy. It's a cool transformer figure based on a character we all love. With plenty of options for reissues and repaints etc. And it's a Decepticon. Just be happy it's out there for you..

I'm SO tired of reading you guys constantly complaining about everything. That Starscream is perfect and IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE G1 VERSION. Consider yourself lucky that they still bother developping Transformers after all these years.

All of the people that are telling everyone else to "STFU AND DEAL" may want to stop or we may start asking them to do the same KTHX.

Now that I've seen the pics better:

Still looks fine to me, personally.  And as has...possibly...been said already (didn't read all of the thread), Kawamori redesign = big big hype in Japan, moreso than cartoon accuracy.

Either way, I'm still interested.  Jet mode looks sooo much better, and the robot mode isn't repulsing me or anything.

Then he should stick to Gundams and Macross figures - not TF's. Transformers fans (which I think is who MP Screamer is primarily aimed at) aren't neccesarily into all the Japanese mecha trends, and because this is the Transformers Masterpiece line (and NOT GUNDAM OR MACROSS), he should really keep that in mind. He's putting way too much of his own personal style into it.

Archived