Name copyrights

ElementalBot

i think tradmarking the names of individual figures is a total crock of bull. it's like someone buying the exlusive rights to the name mike, and not letting any parents name their kids mike ever again.

nobody is going to confuse a transformer with a g.i. joe of the same name. they are totally different toys, so they should be able to name them whatever the hell they want to.

thats my 2 cents.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nobody is going to confuse a transformer with a g.i. joe of the same name. they are totally different toys, so they should be able to name them whatever the hell they want to.

I hear and agree with your frustration but...

If you're not a fan than it can get confusing, especially if you're a parent at Christmas time.

Interestingly, Hasbro can use GI Joe and Transformers names interchangably (Depth Charge has been both a TF and GI Joe within the last year or so), for the most part.

There also was a Shockwave Joe years back, before Hasbro lost the name

i think tradmarking the names of individual figures is a total crock of bull. it's like someone buying the exlusive rights to the name mike, and not letting any parents name their kids mike ever again.

thats my 2 cents.

Well, unfortunately, it's almost required due to sue-happy Corporate America. Hell, apparently Hasbro almost lost the name "Megatron" to Konami for a Yu-Gi-Oh card (or at least, that's the only possible story that's been able to be tracked down).

Yeah, and poor choice of example, even if we know what you mean, since Hasbro owns GI-Joe as well, they don't have to face the same copyright restriction. Oh, BTW, did you know that Seaspray is a My Little Pony now? :P

i think tradmarking the names of individual figures is a total crock of bull. it's like someone buying the exlusive rights  to the name mike, and not letting any parents name their kids mike ever again.

thats my 2 cents.

Well, unfortunately, it's almost required due to sue-happy Corporate America. Hell, apparently Hasbro almost lost the name "Megatron" to Konami for a Yu-Gi-Oh card (or at least, that's the only possible story that's been able to be tracked down).

Yeah, and poor choice of example, even if we know what you mean, since Hasbro owns GI-Joe as well, they don't have to face the same copyright restriction. Oh, BTW, did you know that Seaspray is a My Little Pony now? :P

the point is nobody is going to mistake any toys just because of it's silly individual name no matter what the toyline. i would think naming any figure should be the same thing as someone naming their kid. who would care or even notice for that matter if the name seaspray was used as a transformer, my little pony, a poke-e-mon whatever.

it's all just trivial bull fertilizer!

trademarks should only be for the name of the toyline itself, not it's individual figures. :stone

it sure would make things a lot easier for everyone.

Then start a class action lawsuit against sue happy America. 2 wrongs make a right? :tfhuh

Point is, these are the rules, we sure as heck don't like em. But at least be aware of why they exist and where to lay the actual blame.

nobody does not equal everybody, as I said earlier the world isn't littered with toy fans.

obviously thats the law, you don't have to say that.

i'm not trying to change it, couldn't if i wanted to. just trying to make some sense out of it. it makes none at all.

someone screwed the pooch a long time ago when they ruled that a proper name for a figure, doll, or whatever could be trademarked.

if some whacked out tranformers fan decided to name their kid rodimus, and that kid one day became famous (singer or actor), could that person be sued and forced to change their name because it's trademarked? and if that were to happen what do you think the fallout would be? people would be out there trying to trademark every name they could think of. and why not, the law says they can.

after hearing a real story of a woman who named her kids orangejello and limejello, i would think naming a kid after a transformer wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

it's gotta make you wonder!

Archived