Name copyrights

ElementalBot

The thread abour reusing G1 names made me start thinking...

what all trademarks have been lost?

And to who?

I know about Ravage, but I haven't got a clue about Shockwave and Jazz.

Also, my HOC Bumblbee and Spike are called "Autobot Espinage Team." What's up with that?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like all the really general names have been lost. Names like jazz, and hound for example. Those names are way too general. On the other hand, names like Omega Supreme are very specific, and hence, are still around. That's my theory.

So expect names like Shrapnel, Siren and Scrapper to be lost. Kup am not so sure...

Go nuts: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=sear...tate=mhk3au.1.1

Typed Drawing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Mark HOT ROD

Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: JIGSAW PUZZLES; STUFFED TOYS; WINDSOCKS FOR DECORATIVE PURPOSES

IC 006. US 002 012 013 014 023 025 050. G & S: METAL KEY CHAINS; FIGURINES OF COMMON METAL

IC 008. US 023 028 044. G & S: PLASTIC CUTLERY; PLASTIC TABLEWARE NAMELY, KNIVES, FORKS AND SPOONS

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: SUNGLASSES

IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: PINS BEING JEWELRY; WATCHES; JEWELRY; BELT BUCKLES OF PRECIOUS METAL

IC 018. US 001 002 003 022 041. G & S: LEATHER KEY CHAINS; BACKPACKS; UMBRELLAS

IC 020. US 002 013 022 025 032 050. G & S: NON-METAL KEY CHAINS; PILLOWS; COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUES; SEAT CUSHIONS

IC 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: PORCELAIN FIGURINES, LUNCH BOXES, THERMAL INSULATED BEVERAGE CONTAINERS; PORTABLE COOLERS; PLASTIC CUPS AND PAPER PLATES

IC 024. US 042 050. G & S: BEDDING, NAMELY, BED SHEETS, BED BLANKETS, BED LINENS; BLANKET THROWS AND AFGHANS; TOWELS; CLOTH FLAGS AND PENNANTS

IC 026. US 037 039 040 042 050. G & S: HAIR ACCESSORIES, NAMELY, HAIR BOWS; CLOTHING PATCHES FOR CLOTHING; BELT BUCKLES NOT OF PRECIOUS METAL; SHOE LACES

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 78055699

Filing Date March 29, 2001

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Published for Opposition July 2, 2002

Owner (APPLICANT) MATTEL, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 333 CONTINENTAL BLVD. EL SEGUNDO CALIFORNIA 902455012

Attorney of Record MICHELE L. MCSHANE

Prior Registrations 2112667;2242325

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

So Hot Rod is lost to Mattel. They also have this name: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...4#more-pictures

A few things to note when searching. The TM should be in the same category (toys) and LIVE.

Here is a recent example.

Word Mark AUTOBOT HOUND

Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: toy action figures, toy vehicles and toy robots convertible into other visual toy forms

Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM

Serial Number 76583700

Filing Date March 29, 2004

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) HASBRO, INC. CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND 1027 Newport Avenue Pawtucket RHODE ISLAND 02862

Attorney of Record Kurt R. Benson

Prior Registrations 1348233

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Also TM rules have been changed since the 80's so it's a bit harder to TM generic words as stated earlier.

Shockwave was lost to Lanard (makers of the GI Joe KO the Corps), hence the change to Shockblast.

There is a slight legal mess with Skyfire. Hasbro can use the name, but he cannot look like his cartoon counterpart, hence Skyblast.

Hasbro allowed T-Wrecks to expire, letting Mattel claim that.

And as said, basic names (like Hound, Ravage, Jazz, etc) cannot be trademarked, I am not sure about Bumblebee, but Sparkplug my have been a replacement (or can be used as a substitute).

There is a slight legal mess with Skyfire. Hasbro can use the name, but he cannot look like his cartoon counterpart, hence Skyblast.

Explain?

that sounds kinda like how they could use the valk mold for the jetfire toy, but not for skyfire in the toon.

There is a slight legal mess with Skyfire.  Hasbro can use the name, but he cannot look like his cartoon counterpart, hence Skyblast.

Explain?

that sounds kinda like how they could use the valk mold for the jetfire toy, but not for skyfire in the toon.

I am not quite familiar with the specifics, but we know that Hasbro was able to use Skyfire in RID (for a jet that looked nothing like the show). Now, it IS possible that another company snagged the name, but I remember reading a OTFCC report from last year that when Hasbro was asked about why Skyblast was used instead of Skyfire, Hasbro said that they couldn't use the name Skyfire on a toy that looked like Skyfire from the cartoon.

You're probably right on the Skyfire/blast thing.

I just did a search and only Hasbro shows up for toys.

Word Mark SKYFIRE

Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: toy robots convertible into other visual forms. FIRST USE: 20010306. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20010306

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 76332659

Filing Date November 2, 2001

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Owner (APPLICANT) HASBRO, INC. CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND 1027 Newport Avenue Pawtucket RHODE ISLAND 02862

Attorney of Record Kurt R. Benson

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

General names are tricky I mean yeah simpl names that have a wide rang brobly cant TM like spesifece names, but why cant they use Jazz but can use Prowl? Also note that Prowl has been used ALOT sinse 1984,but Jazz hasnt been used by Hasbro sinse 1992.

Archived