MP-3 Starscream

noriko

Yeah, I only wish I could've found MP Prime clearanced at $20..

.. or $30, or $50..

They all disappeared here at the full retail price ($60 at the local Walmart here) with the lowest online prices going up and up and up to the +$200 they're at today.

Poor distribution?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be difficult to do an MP Megatron as a gun (which would therefore justify an MP figure, any other alt. mode wouldnt be MP, imo) if Hasbro is wanting to release a US version. So the next best thing (apparently) is a MP Starscream.

I think it could be argued that Starscream is more popular than Megatron.

Yeah, I only wish I could've found MP Prime clearanced at $20..

.. or $30, or $50..

They all disappeared here at the full retail price ($60 at the local Walmart here) with the lowest online prices going up and up and up to the +$200 they're at today.

Poor distribution?

I wouldn't blame "poor distribution" - as I saw 20th in most Targets and WalMarts I visited in our area.  I think the problem was that store managers were worried about sitting on an expensive shelfwarmer so they never restocked him.

I only call it that as I was a willing buyer of Primes at $20 and other areas apparently had surpluses of Primes at $20 "sitting around".

I just didn't see this shelfwarmer phenomenon.  I saw the Primes twice (both within the same two week period) at the Milpitas Wal-Mart.  And they actually RAISED the price from $60 to $70 as they were running out.  After even the last one in a rather crumpled box was sold, I never saw them again.

wtf is a scalper?  isn't that the guy selling fake tickets in front of the ball game?

Correct, but he's also the guy who buys up as many of a hard to get figure as he can, only to sell them online for triple or quadruple retail.  I don't mind someone making a modest profit, but when I saw people selling Tracks and Swerve Alts on Ebay with Buy It Nows of $85 or so, it's not right.

I myself have come accross certain figures in both the Alt and Cybertron lines that I probably could have bought for retail and resold for triple or more....Cybertron Downshift for example...he seems to be pretty rare right now, and I had a few at my local Wal Mart (I live in central New Hampshire)...I'll admit, I thought about it...then shook my head, because I know what its like to go hunting for that last figure you need for your collection, only to come up empty handed. So I left them there for the next fan that comes along looking.

I wasn't aware of the size differences in the MP and Anniversary Primes compared to the Alts and BTs...I thought they were the same size.

I never saw any Anniversary or MP Primes or Magnus' at retail, and the Magnus' I see on Ebay are still about $100.

I just get depressed because it's yet another hobby of mine that seems to be rapidly entering the elitest arena....with the pricetags going up out of reach of the common denominator fan.  It's hard to justify even to myself, spending $100 on an action figure (as cool and badass as they are) when it's hard enough as it is to make ends meet working 60 hours a week in a manufacturing plant.

All sob stories aside, I think the price could be lower and they'd still reap plenty of profit.

I hope Starscream comes around here...I could care less if its primarily die cast or plastic as long as I have a chance to get one. SS has always been one of my favorite characters...to have the sack to continuously try to usurp power from Megatron and to keep surviving (except in the movie of course, but then again, he *did* come back as a ghost, so see? He's badass!)...not to mention a lot of his dialogue and one liners are great.

Something else I thought of though in regards to pricing of these figs...theyre produced in China or Japan are they not?  Well manufacturing companies in those countries dont have near the same operating costs and overhead as American or European Union countries do...a lot of you probably dont think of this, but the costs of labor, overhead, and even things like waste disposal (factories generate a LOT of toxic waste and chemicals that have to be disposed of) are a lot cheaper.

Factories in Asia dont have anywhere near the same regulations and restrictions on them as they do here, and conversely that means it costs them a LOT less in general to make these figures.  I just dont buy into the notion that the design, engineering and production of these toys is a major % of their final MSRP.

Don't mind me...I'm just grumpy because I know I'll never be able to obtain these figures even if I *could* find one in my price range.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived