If it hadn't been Bay...

My Alt. Mode Sucks

I'm not posting this to Starscream about Michael Bay being in charge -- what's done is done and he's heading it no matter what. I'm just trying to see who you'd have wanted to see do it instead if he hadn't been the final choice.

As strange as this seems...I'd go with Joss Whedon. Being a fan of Buffy/Angel, I think he could do it fairly well -- he can give non-humans fleshed-out personalities, and he does stylized action really well.

Only downside? Whedon tends to be a smug, self-back-patting attention whore. No offense, but he needs to get over himself before he can be taken as a serious director/writer, which is probably why Serenity tanked.

EDIT: The other downside -- his penchant for cheesy-ass one-liners. Ugh.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what you're going for. But in general, any accomplished action director who's good with effects would be a good choice IMO. Someone like James Cameron, for example. (Of course he's one of the top tier directors out there, and he's currently not directing at all, but you get the idea.)

Well Im all up for the executive producer, Mr. Spielberg giving it a try, everything he touches turns to gold so that'd sure be interesting.

I'd say that Peter Jackson would have done the best job - he seems to walk the fine line of meeting fanboy expectations while still producing a good film (honorable mention in this category goes to Bryan Singer and Sam Raimi).

It's hard to say how well Joss Whedon would do, since he seems to prefer working with his own properties.

My ideal Transformers movie would be full of dick and fart jokes with an underlying social issue. Kevin Smith all the way.

Archived