Short DVD Review (China Season 3)

Tripredacus

I am finally in the midst of watching my copy of TF G1 Season 3 & "Headmasters" aka Rebirth on DVD. I am on DVD 4 of 8. If you are interested:

Season 3 and 4 DVD on Ebay

This appears to be a Chinese release of the Rhino episodes. They are in the wrong order. So far order issues are Dark Awakening with a mention at the end that Optimus Prime would be in the next one (it wasn't) and they played Starscream's Ghost before the one where Octane steals Trypticon. This is an obvious one because in Starscream's Ghost, Octane brags about stealing Trypticon.

The sound is OK and is in Chinese and English. I do not have access to a DVD player connected to a DTS or Dolby 2.0/5.1 sound system. I did not try the subtitles. An interesting thing is that in my dad's DVD player, the default language is Chinese (Language 1) but on the PS2, the default language is English (Language 2).

The menu system is totally different (I have not seen the Rhino Season 3 menu system) from any others I have seen and has weird spacy music in the background. The menus are in Chinese as well, but the opening menu is the "play all" button. A move to the left and you get the chapter selection. With some trial and error, I figured out what all the buttons do. The menu to the right of the Play All menu must be for configuration, It has 6 buttons on it and I have no clue what it does.

The one I got from Ebay also came with a peice of paper that has a Chinese to English translation for the menus. I lost that, unfortunately, which was why I went about the trial and error method.

The item itself is pictured as it is in the above auction. It is a light cardboard box, open it and take out the case, which has the same artwork. The case is white plastic and inside there is a small white 8DVD holder, that is made out of some sort of fabric, and is supposed to be held in place by 2 plastic clips that are molded into the case, however mine was broken.

The CHinese language mode has the original background music, same as the English, and there is no difference in sound quality. The animation is generally the same as the Rhino type releases. There were a couple of times where you could see some old un-restored footage during a couple scenes (lines on the film etc) but nothing worth crying over.

This set works on both an un-modded NTSC Playstation 2 (which is really picky) and your run of the mill Sony NTSC DVD player. So it is safe for you non-hardcore TF collectors to buy this and be able to watch it (note I buy TF videos I can't watch, namely PAL videos) And for about $18 it isn't too bad.

There was something else but I forgot.

Archived