G1 how I love thee, now Die

tentagil

i wast trying to open a discussion on why bm failed. and as far as character developement i thought it took enormous bounds. brought our characters we already knew to new levels. they did go from winning a war and expecting a warm welcome home to a seamingly dead planet and a memory problem. but my point is they finally did something different with the characters and the mythos. which i loved. and to see them go from that to the neverending nonsensical animes of g1 rehashes a/e/c was sad. but it doesnt really effect me due to the fact that i havent watched anything since bm. but i have bought everything. i just look at the newer lines with g1 in mind and ignore the shows.

but if they made a new show (doubtful) based on the dw series, not nessesarily theyre stories or continuity, but just the tone, and the g1ers following some smaller deluxe-ultra sized mp type figures, are you saying you wouldnt be interested?

i dont see why everyone wants a drastic change, if youre so tired of it there a millions of other giant robot animes out there for you to watch instead. the solution isnt to turn transformers into one of them. and its really quite simple, dont like it, dont buy it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and as far as character developement i thought it took enormous bounds. brought our characters we already knew to new levels.

With some characters, yes this was true. I thoroughly enjoyed the character development of Cheetor, which followed what BW writers were already doing with him.

But unfortunately, this quality was not consistent throughout the entire cast - thus my earlier comment of inconsistency being a weakness for the series.

they did go from winning a war and expecting a warm welcome home to a seamingly dead planet and a memory problem. but my point is they finally did something different with the characters and the mythos. which i loved. and to see them go from that to the neverending nonsensical animes of g1 rehashes a/e/c was sad.

That is true - and again, a lot of this winning formula was established in Beast Wars. Although the Maximals won the Beast Wars, it was a bitter victory that was very hard won.

Another problem with the BM show which I didn't mention before was that it was too adult. A Transformers cartoon is fundamentally marketing a toy line aimed towards children. Although there is a significant portion of adult collectors, writers need to be careful to balance to show to appeal to both audiences. Whilst post-BM Transformers cartoons have been too kiddie-oriented, Beast Machines' problem was on the other end of the extreme, where it was too adult-oriented and had little appeal to younger audiences. Beast Wars on the other hand played a careful balancing act.

i dont see why everyone wants a drastic change, if youre so tired of it there a millions of other giant robot animes out there for you to watch instead. the solution isnt to turn transformers into one of them. and its really quite simple, dont like it, dont buy it.

I agree with that. There's too many people who say they want Transformers, but whine because it's not doing what Gundam or something does.

But the reason people are crying out for more, for something different is because HasTak have been dragging their feet and giving us the same thing over and over.

If HasTak actually did what they did with G1, took a conttinuity, stuck with it and evolved it naturally, a lot more fans would be happy and not cvryinbg out for something different as they'd be getting it.

It would also be interesting to see a sceming first officer. Not like Starscream in the fact that Starscream's ambitions were well know. This first officer is silently plotting to overthrow his leader and take his place. In the end he secretly sends enough info to his enemies to get his leader to fail several times which makes the troops question his leadership. Then he takes over.

Suppose the new hypothetical series began with Galvatron getting the boot in this fashion. Who would fill the role of "scheming first officer"? Cylonus? Skorponok? or a totally new character?

And can somebody pul-LEEZE think of a new name for Rodimus Prime? Radius Prime or Ultimus Prime or something . . .

Then everyone gets upgraded to a form that the Maximals and Predicons spring from.

those of you who dont want g1 homages... what do you want exactly? as long as thay stick with transforming vehicles, there will always be a little bit of g1 in there. and if not vehicles.. then beasts? theyve done that. and if not that then just new characters? a bunch of new no name characters in some cgi anime that would be quite forgetable. i would pass. only reason i have a-c figs is because of the homages. i have yet to watch a single episode of a-c and could care less.

also, ill add that if they did do something without a prime, megs, unicron and the rest, all we'd be left with is a random generic anime robot show. i dont want that. i want

It’s possible to have a well written story without Prime, Megs and the rest.  That’s part of the problem I see lately.  They are relying so much on the big names to sell the toys and the show that they aren't putting much effort into writing the scripts.  They think little kids don't care about the story and all they have to do is give them lots of big booms and cool looking fights and some characters they kinda recognize and it will be a success.

G1 has become a crutch for the writers in some cases, and as long as the toys sell Hasbro isn’t going to worry about the cartoon all that much.  From what I’ve seen though The Japanese versions though still kids shows are actually not to badly written, but the changes made when they get dubbed to English just ruin the shows.  We need a new and well written show that doesn’t have to stand on G1 characters to survive.

There's too many people who say they want Transformers, but whine because it's not doing what Gundam or something does.

Honestly I'm tired of them doing what Gundam and so many other shows have been doing.  I feel they have been trying to hard to jump on the band wagon of all those other kids shows.

I don't want to watch the Autobots and Decepticons chasing after Minicons or Power Keys anymore.  I don't want to see all these Power Up moves where they start glowing and yelling out things.  I want them to go back to basics.

Giant transforming soldiers in a war that has spanned millions of years, fighting for survival and a chance at peace and unification.  I want more time to be spent developing the personalities of all the characters and less time spent showing how powerful they can become.  I want a villain who wins or loses on tactics and ideas rather then just getting more and more powerful as the series goes on.

Transformers has become far to much like the bastard child of Dragon Ball and Pokemon.  The focus isn’t on the characters anymore.  As bad as the original cartoon may have been at times it was written to give life to toys that for all intents and purposes were bricks with arms.  They had to focus on the characters because they had no back story yet, and they had to fuel the imaginations of the kids they were trying to sell too.

The last couple of series seem almost like an after thought.  The toys have gotten to the point where most of them are very articulated and have enough details and little extras that Hasbro and Takara seem less far less worried about putting the effort in to give them real personalities.

Beast Wars was the last time they bothered to really breath life into the bots.  And with the level of detail on those figures it wasn’t even all that necessary at the time.  But because they did put that effort in Beast Wars is still celebrated by fans 10 years later.  Some how I doubt Armada or Energon will get that kind of fanfare or celebration when they’ve hit the ten year mark.

If HasTak actually did what they did with G1, took a conttinuity, stuck with it and evolved it naturally, a lot more fans would be happy and not cvryinbg out for something different as they'd be getting it.

That would definatley be a step in the right direction. 

Archived