G1 how I love thee, now Die

tentagil

Isn't it possible to just accept the fact that G1 is over? It was done "right" the first time anyway IMO. Sure the toys are showing their age and all that, but what do you expect? That Hasbro would keep updating the same figures for all eternity, to satisfy an unquenchable fan thirst for more and more? Move on already.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
glue is quite right, to do G1 well they should concentrate on altering the history of it.

Ehh.. no.  The G1 fans just want the continuity left alone for once.  The only conceivable purpose for new series material for leeching or altering the old is to try to draw back fans of old G1.  And that has never shown itself to seriously work with any of the post-G1 series -- all it achieves is irritating people who like the old stuff as well as those who want something new.

Isn't it possible to just accept the fact that G1 is over? It was done "right" the first time anyway IMO. Sure the toys are showing their age and all that, but what do you expect? That Hasbro would keep updating the same figures for all eternity, to satisfy an unquenchable fan thirst for more and more? Move on already.

Hasbro will do exactly that if only to hold onto the copyrights.  That’s not even a G1 fanboy hunger, Optimus Prime is a part of pop culture in general, and regardless of anything other character Prime is a money maker.  G1 the Cartoon and the Story is over.  It ended a decade and a half ago.

I think the majority of G1 fans are happy with what we had in the 80s as far as storyline.  Sure it has its cheesy moments and some times the cartoon was just silly, but the mythos that came out of it is fine and doesn't need to be retold.  Its more we want some quality toy versions of all those bots that got shafted by the limited technology of the 80s.

I honestly think that a decent toy line giving all those old bots toys designed with today’s tech would satisfy 90% of G1 fans and allow them to move onto to other things.  I don’t think we need a new G1 cartoon, we just want versions of our favorite G1 characters that are true to the characters.

Then G1 can die a noble death rather then the fade out it had originally and Hasbro can move on.  Beast Wars is at about the same place.  It was kind of cool, and it jump started things again, but after this anniversary it needs to end as well.  Let something new come out.  Let’s let Prime, Primal, and Megatron rest in peace for a bit and see some truly new characters come to life.

How's about a line with mutants that come to Easth and don't Transform

or any thing, but then they realize that they don't blend in and they they got suits of armor that transform into human killing vehicles? ;)  :luv

I can be happy woth anything new as long as Prime and Megs aren't the leaders anymore. They moved on in Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory. Why can't they move on now. I realize that Optimus Prime is a sure sell, but who isn't going to buy a new leader if he is as kickass as Fort Max or Star Saber?

A new series can still be in G1 continuity and still be completely new. I am first and foremost a Geewunner, but let the past be the past. New stuff can sell if it's awesome, and they are more than capable of making fantastic toys. The charachters are going to be the selling point, so for god's sake hire a writer.

(oh yeah...anime can suck a big fat dick.)

How's about a line with mutants that come to Easth and don't Transform

or any thing, but then they realize that they don't blend in and they they got suits of armor that transform into human killing vehicles? ;)  :luv

I agree with almost every point made in this thread save this one. A sense of humour is good to have but this isn't INH.  :roll

On topic. As badly as I feel about this, Hasbro in the coming year will basically reboot the entire franchise from scratch. The upcoming movie is proof of that. It's already been confirmed that though it will draw inspiration from the G1 mythos it in fact is not G1. From day one it's been said that the Transformers appearing will be both something entirely new, and exciting, and different from anything fans of either generation have seen. Well here's hoping anyway. I expect most if not all of G1 despite the exception of various names and personalities will be disreguarded and forgotten very much the same way the Batman franchise was restarted last Summer.

Not to be crass but I personally think this G1 redux line will be the final time we see some of these characters before Hasbro moves onto newer and hopefully better things reguarding a movie tie in continuity. Though I have no problem disreguarding the G1 continuity this Redux line will hopefully be what long time fans have wanted to see since day one, so they can finally move on and embrace in full what's to come.

I think it's a safe bet to say that everything reguarding the future of Transformers as we know it is hinging on the outcome of this upcoming movie. If Hasbro delivers anything shy of a full fledged Beastwars revival, it's anybody's guess what Transformers will become.

Problem is, with the fact that the movie is looking so likely and the Binaltech line, particularly figures like Streak, as well as all the homages in other lines, Hasbro have every intention of doing just that.

And when you add to that the fact that the G1 - BM universe was so well developed and everything after that has been yearly alternate continuities, with llittle depth, there's no incentive for fans to move on, nothing for them to move on too.

There's NO WAY I'm gonna read through all these posts *waits for his to be skimmed past too* so I'll keep mine short:

Main Line - A fresh start, but keeping in continuity. Like Beast Wars.

Universe (& other sub-lines) - Keep all the repaints as (mainly) G1 homeages.

This way we're all happy.  :thumb

because sometimes i think no one reads my posts...

those of you who dont want g1 homages... what do you want exactly? as long as thay stick with transforming vehicles, there will always be a little bit of g1 in there. and if not vehicles.. then beasts? theyve done that. and if not that then just new characters? a bunch of new no name characters in some cgi anime that would be quite forgetable. i would pass. only reason i have a-c figs is because of the homages. i have yet to watch a single episode of a-c and could care less.

need i remind everyone of beast machines??? thats when they took a chance and actually did do something different. wacky new vehicle modes and even wackier beasts. and people bitched, complained and hated it to no end. (i was not one of them).

is it any wonder theyre sticking to old faithful g1? you people Starscreaming youre tired of g1, theres no problem. dont buy them. theyre are prolly a hundred people beside you who want them. tired of g1? go buy some gundams or some other giant anime robot crap.

also, ill add that if they did do something without a prime, megs, unicron and the rest, all we'd be left with is a random generic anime robot show. i dont want that. i want transformers.

No wonder nobody reads your posts. :P

Regarding Beast Machines, the reasons why it failed wasn't because it wasn't bristling with G1 homages. Remember that Beast Wars was a success, and that show wasn't a G1-rehash either.

The reason why the Beast Machines toy line failed was because the Maximals were not very well made Transformer toys. They are very well designed action figures -- from an artistic point of view, the BM toys are phenomenonly well crafted. Look at Deluxe Optimus Primal -- individually sculpted muscle fibres, and that highly detailed brain sitting inside his skull. That's absolutely amazing! The amount of attention to detail put into those figures is astounding. But in spite of their artistic merit, Beast Machines failed because they were poor Transformers. They were too abstract! Optimus Primal transformed from an obscure looking hominid... thing, into an obscure looking humanoid... thing. We're told that it's supposed to be a robot transforming into a gorilla, but you sure coulda fooled me. Ben Yee once pointed out to me that the fact that the Beast Machines packaging had to tell you what the alt modes were supposed to be was a bad sign. Although "Armadaverse" Transformers can have these weird futuristic/Cybertronian alt modes, their intended forms are still clear. All the "Armadaverse" Starscreams are clearly fighter jets. None of them are based on anything manufactured by Martin & Lockheed, but their forms are clear enough that we know they are fighter jets. Beast Machines Silverbolt transforms into a... a... WTF?! Likewise Geckobot and so forth. Yeah, you can see what the alt modes are meant to be... if you look hard. But we shouldn't have to look hard.

The Vehicons were generally well made and they sold well. As far as the toy line was concerned, it was really the Maximals that let the line down.

The Battle For The Spark sub-line was a massive improvement, and it's what Beast Machines should have been from the outset, but unfortunately it was too little too late to save the line. I had to get all my BFTS toys shipped in from the States because the entire line was never released in Australia (because Hasbro AU were convinced that the BM line was doomed and couldn't be bothered releasing it here).

As for the TV show, it didn't fail because it wasn't a G1 rehash. Again, the Beast Wars cartoon wasn't a G1 rehash either and it is IMHO the best Transformers series ever written for television. In my estimation, these are the reasons why the show failed:

1/ Hasbro rushed Mainframe into releasing the show prematurely. The show was very shortly after the toys were released -- in North America, it was aired before the toys hit shelves (unprecedented!). As a result, the TV show models poorly represented the final toy products which hit shelves. Beast Wars on the other hand is pretty good when it comes to the TV models matching the toys. The reason for this was that Mainframe animators would do a 3D scan of the toys, and then tweak them for easier animation and other artistic/asthetic modifications (more severe in some characters like Blackarachnia and Dinobot) - but overall, it was a pretty good match. What appears to have happened with Beast Machines is that the show models are based on early conceptual images of the characters, rather than on the final toys themselves; because a lot of the show models were poor representations of the toys. The TV show is supposed to be a marketing device to sell the toys - this does not work well if the show models do not faithfully represent the toys.

2/ Continuity inconsistencies -- no where near as bad as what we saw in the G1 cartoon. Beast Machines never really contradicted continuity, per se, but there were elements of the story telling that really needed further explanation or were simply down right uninteresting. This included:

- The ill-explained changes in some characters. Why has Megatron changed from being a megalomaniac to a dictator with a saviour-complex? Why has Rhinox had such a severe character change? Changes in character is fine, but they need to be explained. In some other cases, there wasn't enough character development - or more accurately, the character development was just happening too slow. How long did Optimus Primal and Silverbolt have to wallow in their own guilt?! Okay, you guys fcuked up. Build a Space Bridge and GET OVER IT! You buggers have a job to do!! Hhhnnn... they needed a really huge bitchslap!

- The first season kinda dragged out the whole cat and mouse chasing between Maximals and Vehicons. Audiences got tired of watching yet another episode of Maximals running... running... and running some more from Vehicons. Booooooooring.

- Some annoying elements in the actual script writing. Oh my god... if you thought that whole "with great power comes great responsibility" line was overdone in Spiderman, that's nothing compared to Beast Machines' obscenely over-repeated line of (all together now!) "The seeds of the future lied buried in the past!" -- AAARGH! Okay! We get the fcuking point!! STFU and stop hammering it into our skulls already!!!

So really, the whole thing about Beast Machines not being a G1 rehash had nothing to do with its downfall.

Archived