G1 how I love thee, now Die

tentagil

I have to agree there.  G1 was fine in it's day, it was original back in the 80s.  Now though, it is long past time for new names and faces and new ideas, Prime and Megs may be the most popular leaders in the TF universes, but there is potential to make new leaders.

If this new G1 line does finally end G1 at last, then good, it owuld be nice for it to end on a very good note unlike the last time.  And then hopefully after the new G1 is finished, we'll start seeing new characters, no more Prime and Megs, no Primal, just completely new characters with new personalities(spelling is probably poor there, too tired to think), and as someone has already mentioned, not set in Earth, but set on other worlds with other races.  The potential is there, all Hasbro and Takara have to do is notice that and make something of it.

-Chuckles

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only reason Megatron is being used over and over is so they can turn that TM into an R eventually...I hope that happens soon.

That is a good point. They have to use the names, or risk losing the rights to them. I am sure that Hasbro could come up w/ some way of keeping the rights and still bringing us new characters. They did it during the reign of BW and BM, so I am sure they can do it again.

Well, they could always release a smaller Optimus Prime toy who is not in the show to keep the name rights.

Ok, it is not an "elegant" solution but what else can Hasbro do outside of making him the leader once again?

I like G1. I wish Hasbro would stop dicking around and just redo G1 from scratch or make the new shows seriously tie into G1 like BW did.

Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Next year will certainly see a new G1 with the movie, and most likely a series coming out around the same time that will tie in with that movie continuity, or using a continuity that is inspired by the movie (kinda like how Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X-Men are loosely inspired by their movies). Ditto the toy line.

It would also be interesting to see a sceming first officer. Not like Starscream in the fact that Starscream's ambitions were well know. This first officer is silently plotting to overthrow his leader and take his place. In the end he secretly sends enough info to his enemies to get his leader to fail several times which makes the troops question his leadership. Then he takes over.

Screw Starscream - IMO the best "scheming officer" character was Tarantulas. Of course, he was out-schemed by Megatron who was even more cunning (which is part of the utter coolness of BW Megatron, yess).

So what did Hasbro do during the Beast Era? Do they have the name "Optimus Prime" reserved?

Exactly.

Hasbro isn't going to lose the Optimus Prime name if they stop using it for a year or so. Geez.

Or just creatively change the name - like how Takara has managed to maintain the Convoy name but without calling every bloody Cybertron leader "Convoy." Come on, we could have a couple of more Primes... wanna give us a really neat G1 homage? Bring on a Sentinel Prime toy, damnit!!  (Here is a custom Sentinel Prime which I made)

(1) Think part of the problem stems from confusion over "G1".  G1 fans look at the BW 10ths and think, "Nice job; wish they'd do it for G1" and walk on.  Non-G1 people look at the BW 10ths and think, "Nice job, but I'm getting tired of all the G1 homages".  End result: both groups's interest is diminished, and "G1" becomes an increasing issue of contention.

(2) G1 people don't want homages.  They want G1 "done right and the way it should be" (i.e. better detail, more articulated, new technology, cute features like glowing led eyes and flip-up comm screens, but same chars/colors/transformations).  They essentially want an entire Masterpiece G1 line -- Bumblebee with his shoulder-mounted scope or Cliffjumper with his huge where'd-he-pull-that-thing-out-from gun.  This can be seen by:

- the initial interest over Alts

- the undying interest in Masterpieces

- all the Alt and Masterpiece kitbashes

- the occasional interest but lack of purchasing commitment in G1 homage repaints by G1 fans

Non-G1 people are clearly not that big on homages either, or at least not anymore.

(3) Tie-ins make some sense, but there hasn't been a real tie-in.  BW more like frankensteined itself into and over G1 continuity, as did the other subsequent series apparently.  If any of the new series had done something like start off 1000 years later with "Megatron is finally dead.  Prime is gone...." (and not like the old movie) that would've been a whole lot more intriguing as well as a clean slate.  Of course, then the creators would have to depend on their ability to spin a good story again instead of always leeching off the glory of the old...  Tak/Hasbro keeps trying to bring in new fans by gutting and replacing the old, the end effect of which being that any time they attempt to please one type of fan they end up antagonizing another.

(2) G1 people don't want homages.  They want G1 "done right and the way it should be" (i.e. better detail, more articulated, new technology, cute features like glowing led eyes and flip-up comm screens, but same chars/colors/transformations).  They essentially want an entire Masterpiece G1 line -- Bumblebee with his shoulder-mounted scope or Cliffjumper with his huge where'd-he-pull-that-thing-out-from gun.  This can be seen by:

- the initial interest over Alts

- the undying interest in Masterpieces

- all the Alt and Masterpiece kitbashes

- the occasional interest but lack of purchasing commitment in G1 homage repaints by G1 fans

soz click add reply too soon...

glue is quite right, to do G1 well they should concentrate on altering the history of it. so we don't get any unicron etc ( thus no unicron  :tfevil  ). so we can try and start with a clean sheet with the story and try to fill those plot holes somebody mentioned.

Those characters that were not produced correctly the first time or were not given enough personality the first time.

what i would like to see.

- in the comics (unlike the cartoon) Shockwave was the villain and wanted to take over the decepticons because of megatron's faults. There are some many other characters that are in simular situations thoughout G1 Lord Straxus and Thunderwing, Scorpinok and some many others who have their own little gangs. it would be interesting to see them limelighted. it would be cool to see who the fractured coallition that is Decepticon high command explored.

- If Starscream is included we need to see him as he should be, with plenty of examples of the traits that make him good shown. so many references on Starscreams abilllities yet no proof a scientist? millitry (s.p.) commando?

yes his intention should be obvious but have him actually be upfront about his ideas if he thinks a plan will fail have him say it and don't have him constantly be the but of the jokes.

- The problem with the toon is that Optimus was alway in command where are the other leaders mentioned, Alpha trion, Emirate Xaaron or Impactor were all leaders of the autobots during megatron's reign. and yet you never see optimus prime once follow the orders of equals etc requests by a3,and we need proper optimus primes rule. exept in grimlock who was alway 'think and two planks nailed together, even in the comics.

- i believe that a good place for a story could even be during Megatron's 4 million years away from Cybertron, the intervening years would allow for the introduction of two 'nearly' new casts and also look at how a war as long as this once can effect a society. and also allow us to escape the constant interference of human 'idiots'.

Archived