How much better is GF Starscream...

Sentinel

I just got GF Starscream from board member maximglory612 last night (for an excellent price, and shipped very fast, I highly recommend him), and I love the figure. Here are the reasons that I think that GF Starscream is vastly superior to Cybertron Starscream(s).

1) Obviously more in scale w/ the other figures than King SS

2) Small enough and light enough to actually "play" with, ie transform more easily and manipulate, also fits in your hand (as opposed to having to use both hands) in both alt and bot mode

3) Colors on GF SS are much better than the smaller Cybertron (VP vs. SS 2-pack) version. More show accurate.

4) I personally prefer the two swords w/ GF SS to the one sword and one blaster w/ King SS

5) Easier to display b/c of the size. My King SS lives in a bin of "rejected" TFs b/c he is too big to put on display, but GF SS is proudly and easily displayed along w/ the rest of my Cybertron figures

(I will try to post pics tonight)

6) Comes w/ tech specs, bio card (in Japanese though obviously) and nicer packaging

That is everything that I can come up w/ now, but I think that it covers this topic pretty well. Overall, GF Starscream is vastly superior to King SS and is definitely worth getting in my opinion if you can find a good price.

i agree about the thinking behind the smaller starscream as to do with the larger version but i think king starscream is still a good figure and a worth get. dont think of it as a figure but as what would g1 starscream see looking in a mirror. also the ss&vp double pack is cool as i want the g1 thrust homage but is ennoying because im in the uk and we dont have it. look forward to the pics

I think the big Scream is easier to transformer. The legs lock right into place when going to jet mode.

Although I don't have GF Starscream, I do have all 3 Cybertron versios (LOC, the TRU red one, and Supreme-sized).

I think I personally prefer the voyager-sized one, but I would've much preferred a show-accurate color scheme one.  Don't get me wrong though, the Supreme-sized one is still an amazing toy, and I love playing with all 3 sizes of him.

But alas, Super Starscream is too big for my shelves, so he stands on the floor for now...

3) Colors on GF SS are much better than the smaller Cybertron (VP vs. SS 2-pack) version. More show accurate.

4) I personally prefer the two swords w/ GF SS to the one sword and one blaster w/ King SS

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and personal tastes don't have to be consistent, and I don't mean to argue with your views but I just want to note/leave as food for thought that:

By #3 you seem to imply: "Show accurate=Better", but then realize for ~half of the show Starscream is supersized with 1 gun and 1 sword thus the big guy is more show accurate for weapons & scale, #1 & #4.

Personally, the show doesn't influence my opinions much, I really like the TRU colors, very striking, and the first real G1-Thrust color jet we've had. I also like the easy snap and single key slot action of the voyager, but the supreme I like for being so huge and needing 2 hands to handle him. He's about the only truly massive vehicle transformer, Omega splits into 2 vehicles, Unicron & Primus are just planets, so it's cool to have such a huge jet.

Another plus about King SS is that, since we may never get any Masterpiece Decepticons, at least he can be used as an enemy of Masterpiece/20th Prime. Side by side they look good together.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and personal tastes don't have to be consistent, and I don't mean to argue with your views but I just want to note/leave as food for thought that:

By #3 you seem to imply: "Show accurate=Better", but then realize for ~half of the show Starscream is supersized with 1 gun and 1 sword thus the big guy is more show accurate for weapons & scale, #1 & #4.

Personally, the show doesn't influence my opinions much, I really like the TRU colors, very striking, and the first real G1-Thrust color jet we've had. I also like the easy snap and single key slot action of the voyager, but the supreme I like for being so huge and needing 2 hands to handle him. He's about the only truly massive vehicle transformer, Omega splits into 2 vehicles, Unicron & Primus are just planets, so it's cool to have such a huge jet.

Oh absolutely you can disagree w/ me. I do imply in the post that show accurate is better, always has been for me, but I realize that other people could care less. I also realize that SS changes later on in the show and grows to King size, but I personally prefer the smaller size. I also prefer the colors in general to the GF smaller version than the colors on the VP vs. SS pack. There is way too much red, and it just kinda looks cheaper to me. I am also a G1 enthusiast so I like the more G1 accurate colors.

Now having said all that, feel free to disagree. These boards are meant for comments and discussion, not just a lot of "yeah dude, I agree."

(Oh and I really like the Supreme-sized figures quite a lot. I love my Unicron, like Omega more than I expected and I am really looking forward to Primus. I just like it when the figure size suits the character, which IMO Starscream does not).

I bought the GF Starscream myself, for two good reasons:

1. King SS would have cost a fortune to buy & ship from america, not to forget crippling import charges for such a large item

2. In my experience, the GF figures have been better than the US/UK figures , as they have all paint apps, and a sturdy plastic build (I wouldn't have any other Vector Prime, as I have seen the paint finish & flimsy wings). The figure is also a good size match to the other figures.

So, as much as I would like the supreme SS, I am more than happy with my GF version

Here are some pics to show paint apps:

dscf06511jt.jpg

dscf05880at.jpg

FYI I also have GF Vector Prime and love it. That is probably the main reason I bought GF Starscream, plus all the other reasons I listed, but the main one being the good size. But until you actually hold the GF figure in your hands, I don't think you can fully appreciate it.

To be fair though, the King SS does have the folding crotch piece that makes the figure look much better, and the moveable chest guns. I still like my King SS, but the GF version is much better IMO.

Archived