thoughts on G1

Knightscream

I agree that the gaps in continuity are annoying and the stories were often lacking, but its still what started it all for me. I only have the first season on dvd so far, and I agree that it is not as great as I remember it as a kid, but I still enjoyed watching it. And although I've heard many disagree with this, but part of it for me is the characters. I really cared when some of the first Autobots I was introduced to died at the hands of Megatron; when Prime fights Megatron, I was on the edge of my seat, and when Hot Rod jumped in the way I wanted to knock that guy out. Even when Starscream died, along with Skywarp and Thundercracker(techniqually), it got to me. The only other TF series I have done that with at all is Beast Wars, and even then it was only at certain times. I loved these characters so much, they are the ones that characterized my childhood. So even if it is pure nostalgia only, I will stand by G1 to the bitter end as my favorite of the series.

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

THis guy sums it up perfectly for me. I agree with every word.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And of course they are Japanese shows (seems like everything has been, ever since Pokemon), which makes a huge difference. You have robots saying "yes, sir!" before carrying out orders, they "call out" their moves Power-Rangers style, and of course you have that very odd Japanese combination of childish humor and warlike bravado (do we *really* need to see Transformers doing pratfalls, "sweating," and having their eyes bug out of their heads?).

I think what I would like to see (and perhaps some of you agree with me) is a G1-themed show with BW-style writing. I am hopeful that the upcoming live-action film will be able to accomplish just that.... :tfgrin

Amen to that brother.

I agree that the gaps in continuity are annoying and the stories were often lacking, but its still what started it all for me.  I only have the first season on dvd so far, and I agree that it is not as great as I remember it as a kid, but I still enjoyed watching it.  And although I've heard many disagree with this, but part of it for me is the characters.  I really cared when some of the first Autobots I was introduced to died at the hands of Megatron;  when Prime fights Megatron, I was on the edge of my seat, and when Hot Rod jumped in the way I wanted to knock that guy out.  Even when Starscream died, along with Skywarp and Thundercracker(techniqually), it got to me.  The only other TF series I have done that with at all is Beast Wars, and even then it was only at certain times.  I loved these characters so much, they are the ones that characterized my childhood.  So even if it is pure nostalgia only, I will stand by G1 to the bitter end as my favorite of the series.

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Mostly right, dude. Thing I hated about BW and BM is that these things neither looked nor felt like the TFs I grew up with, no matter how much better the writing was. I prefer at least SOME tie-in to the stuff that started it, like RID thru now. Its not the same old thing by a long shot, but the toys and characters totally look and feel like real TFs. If we could just get the characterization of G1, the toys and characters of today (preferably alternators!), with the story writing of BW, it'd be perfect....

When the US G1 cartoon series ended, I was just hitting the teenage years. At that age, I started watching fewer and fewer cartoons. By the time I was 16, I wasn't buying any new toys to collect, mainly because I didn't have the connection w/ any of the cartoons. So now, getting back into collecting, I am G1 crazy, since I never watched any other series or had any of the toys. I think I fall into the category of older fans that just need to sit down, watch some of the other series (I plan to buy the Beast Wars boxed sets) and keep an open mind. The series are all from slightly different eras, both in technology and culture, so hopefully I can watch and judge them in context.

I think what I would like to see (and perhaps some of you agree with me) is a G1-themed show with BW-style writing. I am hopeful that the upcoming live-action film will be able to accomplish just that.... :tfgrin

Now that's a good idea, I like it...

Archived