thoughts on G1

Knightscream

ive been reading posts on here for a while now, and it seems as if G1 is considered the holy grail of transformers. now dont get me wrong. i love G1 and have most of it on Dvd, but as i was re watching it after 15 years of not being able to see it, ive noticed that it never was as good as i thought. it was original, it was different, but now watching it it had the same used up storylines that had been used for every other show at that time. and there were many unrealistic things in the show (what do you mean its only a cartoon, i thought it was ssupposed to be real) like metalic objects feeiling physical pain. but i can look past all that. the one thing that has always bothered me the one thing that has made most other tf toons in my mind written better for a target viewer, is the fact that G1 just popped characters in on you without ever letting you know anything about them, or where they came from. in BW we had the stasis pods, or in the 2 events that someone came from Cybertron, they gave a back story. in BM there was a continuity gap, and it never truely explained how megs took over cybertron, but when new characters like nightscream were introduced, it gave back story. in RiD, when new autobots showed up, we were told what their job was, and where they have been (this is mostly conjecture from the few RiD episodes i was able to see). In armada, we never met a new Chracter (the only minicons i consider characters are Sparkplug, the street action team the starsber cons, and the requieum blaster team, because they were the only ones given any personality) without them being introduced to us, and even the newcharacters like ironhide from energon we were introduced to their personality before the show ever really started.

so give your oppinions, launch your flames, im ready for them but i will stand by what i said. G1 was good for its time, but compaired to how cartoons are done now, it wouldnt stand a chance if they did not change it.

G1 is good, but not the best

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow i cant beleive you guys, g1 was really good :thumb . I went back and watched all the dvds and loved it , thought it was better than when i was a kid .

Terrorking the impaler  Posted on Apr 16 2004, 05:42 PM

i thought the characters had good design but the story was unsatisfying

I mean what was the compitition in cartoons at the time like smurfs and gobots the story lines for tfs blew those away imo .

like i said it was good for its time. but when i watch a on going serries, i like it to be ongiong. i never liked stories that never had anything to do with each other other than the fact that they had the same characters, and then some one else would just magically appear, and we were supposed to know who it was and their whole back story. G1 was good for its time, and is still good for nastalgia, but it is not this sacred shrine to all things transfomable that everybody makes it out to be.

You're not ruffling my feathers. Well put. :)

I've rewatched all the episodes on DVD. Nostalgia clouds over A LOT. There's a few hits but quite a few misses too. G1 was good for it's time and rised above toy commercial status, but Beast Wars had a much better story.

i watched my G1 DVDs recently...and agree...they really aren't up to snuff with today's shows. but its the nostalgic factor that weighs heavily for me in giving it such high regards.

e.g. i watched GI JOE season 1 DVDs as well...boy did I laugh at some of the really crazy things they did on the show...ultra unrealistic...but at the same time it brought a smile to my face via nostalgia.

now would any of these shows sell toys to the "savvier" kids today? problem not as much, but mid-80s were a different era for kids...not much competition for attention besides the great outdoors

i agree BW did have i little bit of a cheesey bump start, but i think BW did not get the credit it deserved. it was one of the best written tf shows ever. plus the toys truely redefined transformers as we knew them. we went from having 2 diferent statues to play with to having fully articulate robots and pretty realistic looking animals (minus the few bits of kibble that showed through)

I agree that the gaps in continuity are annoying and the stories were often lacking, but its still what started it all for me. I only have the first season on dvd so far, and I agree that it is not as great as I remember it as a kid, but I still enjoyed watching it. And although I've heard many disagree with this, but part of it for me is the characters. I really cared when some of the first Autobots I was introduced to died at the hands of Megatron; when Prime fights Megatron, I was on the edge of my seat, and when Hot Rod jumped in the way I wanted to knock that guy out. Even when Starscream died, along with Skywarp and Thundercracker(techniqually), it got to me. The only other TF series I have done that with at all is Beast Wars, and even then it was only at certain times. I loved these characters so much, they are the ones that characterized my childhood. So even if it is pure nostalgia only, I will stand by G1 to the bitter end as my favorite of the series.

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

While I do like the G1 series, I thought Beast Wars had a way better story. the limitations of the CGI kept the cast fairly small, and the story was pretty deep for a kids show. the best EP ever was "code of Hero." it's on season 2 I believe. I recomend you check it out as soon as possible.

Archived