Just watched Energon

Haggisjin

Expect me to make a post next year about my thoughts on Energon.

Well here I am, except it was Superlink I watched. Not at all a bad series. There where a few problems with the animation every now and then (notably with the bot's feet when they were running), but it was still leaps and bounds over Armada.

Kicker was a huge improvement over the Armada kids.

And lastly, this series was just plain funny. I have a feeling that because I was watching it in Japanese (which I understand), I got a lot more out of it than I would've in English. In fact, I'm pretty certain Alpha Q, Snowcat and Irontread, and Team Roadbuster would've been plain annoying in English. But the levels of Japanese they use hugely add to the characters. The same with the Omnicons. Also, the special episode was hilarious.

One point I felt kind of wtf-ish about was where the hell where the Minicons? I mean, I never did like them, but they were such an integral part of the original, you would think that they had a higher destiny than basically serving as Kicker's personal vehicles. And who the hell are the Energon Saber team? All of a sudden, minicons aren't worth crap, and everyone is hungry for Energon. Considering how powerful Energon is shown to be, you have to wonder why they even cared about the Minicons in the first place. Unicron was another thing. In Armada, whatever damage they did to him actually fueled him, but they seemed to have forgotten that altogether in the ten years.

I really was expecting this series to be crap. I mean, the last series I just watched was GF, which really was excellent. However, although it went for too long, I found this series to be very entertaining. I haven't seen any of Cybertron yet, but I am wondering how the hell they've shoehorned GF into the Armada/Energon universe. It just doesn't fit. It was bad enough that everyone forgot about Powerlinking to Superlink and get Energon, but it would be just plain stupid for everyone to then forget about both of those things and then start going after Forcechips.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the beginning,i cant catch what did SL/energon talk about.anime confuse me.

and i cant image grand convoy can overcome unicron so easily!!!

i cant say thats a good series for me :roll

BTW, i saw the superlink(Japan audio with English subtitle)

I agree with Haggisman, I've seen all of Galaxyforce(subtitled version) and I can't see how it fits in with a/e either.... outside of the toyline story.... that's it... nothing more.

I've only watched one or two episodes of superlink... and hoping to see episodes of Legends of the Micron. the intro on LoM shows Super Convoy with the gun minicon... but don't remember Convoy using it in the show at all...(Armada version)

:pfx Galaxy Force has absolutely no relation to the rest of the Armadaverse. Now that I think of it it's hard seeing Energon as a sequel to Armada. The only thing that doesn't change is some of the characters.

FWIW though I too plan on aquiring Superlink shortly after I finish with Galaxy Force. If it's outlandishlshly funny that's enough for me. BTW what was Armada in Japan?

well its kinda clear that galaxy force is not a continuation of superlink....i mean, why do you have to start disguising yourselves "a few years" after superlink when humans and transformers were holding meetings and stuff?  so primus kinda brainwashed all human beings (kicker and the armada kids-turned-teenagers included) on earth right after superlink ended?

however, who says that galaxy force HAS TO BE a sequel in the first place?  just like car-robot was never a sequel to armada either.....or car-robot being a sequel to beast wars.......or beast wars being a sequel to G1/G2

really, i think it was never intended to be a sequel in the first place (at least from takara's point of view), and i think hasbro is just making up crap to make it "look like" its a sequel (via vector prime's stupid answers on hasbro's website) for whatever silly reason

but then, galaxy force is still good by itself nevertheless, no? :P

well its kinda clear that galaxy force is not a continuation of superlink....i mean, why do you have to start disguising yourselves "a few years" after superlink when humans and transformers were holding meetings and stuff?  so primus kinda brainwashed all human beings (kicker and the armada kids-turned-teenagers included) on earth right after superlink ended?

however, who says that galaxy force HAS TO BE a sequel in the first place?  just like car-robot was never a sequel to armada either.....or car-robot being a sequel to beast wars.......or beast wars being a sequel to G1/G2

really, i think it was never intended to be a sequel in the first place (at least from takara's point of view), and i think hasbro is just making up crap to make it "look like" its a sequel (via vector prime's stupid answers on hasbro's website) for whatever silly reason

but then, galaxy force is still good by itself nevertheless, no? :P

Only government officials were aware of the TFs existence, the general public were completely unaware of their presence.

And they change their alt-modes and forms all the time. It isn't necessarily just to change their disguises, but possibly also to upgrade their weapons and armor.

Like it or not, Cybertron IS the sequal to Energon and Armada. Period. Hasbro has stated this multiple times. Aaron Archer has reportedly dubbed it "The Unicron Trilogy." And Cybertron has to be a continuation because it's the third act of the overall story.

Armada introduced an on-going war and the manifestation of evil (Unicron), Energon showed the restarting of said war and the ressurection of evil, and their attempt to eradicate this evil permanently, and finally Cybertron shows that evil cannot truly be destroyed, that good cannot exist without evil.

And how else do you explain Megatron looking like Unicron and having all those funky powers? Or Downshift and Unicron in the toy-line and Fan Club comics?

personally, im still not too convinced that it is a sequel.....at least from what was shown in gonzo' anime, that is

it seems that earth's technology in superlink is more advanced (with ocean/jungle/desert city and all) than what is in cybertron....

funky powers (the warp/spark attack etc).....i personally perceive that as simply something for a typical antagonist and nothing more; i mean you gotta give some power to the villian to make the battles work? :P

as for unicron, in the galaxy force anime there is absolutely no mentioning of unicron at all (actually i believe the origin of the black hole wasn't clearly explained either, and i dont recall any character mentioning the word unicron at all in any of the 52 episodes)

and as for extra US-only toys that are not shown in the anime, hasbro did that for rid, armada, and energeon so i think that doesn't hold too much water in my opinion....

it may be the case that what gonzo/weve did for the anime series is totally different/independent from what hasbro does/plans for comics or whatever happens for the western market....if i remember correctly dreamwave's armada comic (i only read part of issue 1 however) isn't the exact same storyline as the anime series, does it?  in the mini-comics that came with the armada toys, the minicons can communicate directly with the big transformers, but in the anime, with the exception of 3 minicons near the end, none of them are able to communicate orally with the big bots (they just go beep beep beep).

of course i am basing my observations ONLY from watching the anime series in japanese; hasbro can of course have a totally different intention with the new line and i respect that....but i just dont see the coherence happening in the ***ANIME*** series at all, after watching all 52 episodes of galaxy force.

personally, im still not too convinced that it is a sequel.....at least from what was shown in gonzo' anime, that is

it seems that earth's technology in superlink is more advanced (with ocean/jungle/desert city and all) than what is in cybertron....

funky powers (the warp/spark attack etc).....i personally perceive that as simply something for a typical antagonist and nothing more; i mean you gotta give some power to the villian to make the battles work? :P

as for unicron, in the galaxy force anime there is absolutely no mentioning of unicron at all (actually i believe the origin of the black hole wasn't clearly explained either, and i dont recall any character mentioning the word unicron at all in any of the 52 episodes)

and as for extra US-only toys that are not shown in the anime, hasbro did that for rid, armada, and energeon so i think that doesn't hold too much water in my opinion....

it may be the case that what gonzo/weve did for the anime series is totally different/independent from what hasbro does/plans for comics or whatever happens for the western market....if i remember correctly dreamwave's armada comic (i only read part of issue 1 however) isn't the exact same storyline as the anime series, does it?  in the mini-comics that came with the armada toys, the minicons can communicate directly with the big transformers, but in the anime, with the exception of 3 minicons near the end, none of them are able to communicate orally with the big bots (they just go beep beep beep).

of course i am basing my observations ONLY from watching the anime series in japanese; hasbro can of course have a totally different intention with the new line and i respect that....but i just dont see the coherence happening in the ***ANIME*** series at all, after watching all 52 episodes of galaxy force.

I don't give a damn about Galaxy Force. Gonzo and Takara screwed up by trying to make it seperate, when it was always meant to be part three of a trilogy. Cybertron is vastly superior because Hasbro has corrected this by including multiple references to Unicron, from the black hole being caused by the destruction of Unicron, to Megatron possessing Unicron's armor, as well as drastically improving the dialog.

And what does those crappy DW comics have to with anything? Newsflash: Dreamwave is no longer producing TF comics, and as such is isn't producing a Cybertron comic, neither is IDW. The only Cybertron comic being produced is the Fan Club comic which is in continuity with the Cybertron anime series, and firmly establishes that Cybertron follows Energon.

Archived