Request For Help

StructuralDefect

ok i've decided to attempt my first repaint of an alternator. well of any transformer fullstop.i'm using the Swindle/Hound mold as a start point and giving a much more military theme. the idea being to create a fan-character 'Wiretap', using a military jeep ( see attached jpg1 )  as the alt mode and giving him a very covert/sniper feel in robot mode, i've done some modelling in the past and due to working as a tattooist feel i have some small artistic skills etc :P . BUT havent the first idea of how to paint onto one of these, so am asking for any tips on what needs to be done to prep the figure, what paints work best without it looking like ive trowelled it on. Wiretap.jpg

I have used Krylon Fusion on my customs. Never really had a problem either. Just make sure that you wash ALL the parts to be painted FIRST, and let them air dry. If its not clean, the paint will "seperate" and come out looking like crap (I believe they refer to this as "fisheye"[?])

There are other paints to, Tamiya makes some, and a couple of more. Only thing about Krylon is that their colors are limited. But the price is right and if done right the finish is good too.

Looks like you`re going to need to use a flat finish paint so I`d recommend going to a hobby shop and seeing if they have a flat olive drab green or the military paint set. Remember it is possible to brush paint something with out it looking like crap. Just remember to use long brush strokes and light coats. If you choose to use the testors military paint set you can get the air brush kit and use that to spray paint it. Good luck.

My advice would be to start with Hound, not swindle or rollbar. Since youre painting over something, and probably will transform it, chipping is inevitable. But, its a question of whether you will have Hounds dark green showing thru the olive drab, or yellow or orange. I think you see what Im trying to say here. But good luck and cant wait to see it.

well cheers everyone for the advice so far, im starting with the Swindle version, purely because i have a second one lying around, so far just doing the reworking before the painting, removed the bumper ( most complicated :P ) removed the doors and have started rounding down the edge of the footwell, in the process of removing the rollcage/rollbars whatever apart from the upright bar for the drivers side, this will be the base for the communications array, how easy is it to remove the rear seats ( to anyone that has i guess ) as that'll be the next thing done.

Archived