I just got my BT Sunstreaker

My Alt. Mode Sucks

I just got the lil' bugger yesterday from Captured Prey (who, if you haven't dealt with them yet, you should -- their shipping is unbelievably fast and their prices are some of the best online), and I'll do a breakdown of what I like or don't like about his two modes. Keep in mind that I never had a Dead End (as I passed him by hoping for this very repaint), so the hardtop Viper remold is new to me.

First, vehicle mode:

Likes: A very nice, overall banana/sunshine yellow color (which naturally makes sense...he wouldn't be SUNstreaker if he didn't share the same color :D), and the styling on both the hood and the rear spoiler make it feel like a real racing car -- whereas Sideswipe looked more like your typical roadster convertible (not that he's a bad mold, as I have 'Swipe as well), Sunstreaker looks a lot more like something you'd see in a racing competition. Really beautiful alt. mode altogether, and I actually like it more than the convertible variation.

Dislikes: My only major gripe is the lack of sweet black racing stripes in the car mode -- strangely enough, though, I've found out that it looks worse when you see the pictures of it online and it doesn't look half-bad when you have it in person -- amazing the difference actually OWNING the thing can make. Other than that, still good.

Now, robot mode! *Cue cheezy transforming sounds*

Likes: Black becames a much more prevalent element of the color scheme here, and it bounces off of the yellow nicely -- very good color coordination. I especially like how the hood of the car folds against the rear and sticks up behind Sunstreaker's head -- almost like backside armor. And, he just looks really cool overall in this mode -- it's not exactly G1 (hey, he's a Viper, not a Countach now), but it invokes a lot of G1 flavah regardless.

Dislikes: Unfortunately, across all three reuses of the Viper mold, it's had the same problem -- really bad articulation at the hips. This really limits the lower body poseability, and unlike Prowl, there's no easy switcharoo to fix it -- still, it's not the biggest issue, but minorly annoying.

Overall, a great toy, and you should get it if you don't feel like waiting forever for Hasbro's Alternators relaunch wave next spring -- especially considering their genius distribution methods :tfgrin

Well, until Alts. actually hit wide distribution again, I'm sticking to BTs...that way, I get diecast metal AND I get it before most others in the US do, so it's win-win (except that damned 50 dollar price tag)

The only problem that I have with BT Sunstreaker is that he should have been black with silver racing stripes. Oh wait, that's Alt/BT Dead End.

As much as I like to have a BT/Alternator Sunstreaker, I think I'll pass on this one. I didn't like Alt/BT Swerve or Wheeljack because they were just repaints with a new head mode. BT/Alt Sunstreaker is just a straight repaint - a boring one, at that.

Archived