Do you agree?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• AWESOME idea!!!
    • Good idea.
    • Okay idea.
    • Bad idea.
    • TERRIBLE idea!!!

They should totaly steer away from Prime, Megs, and SS. I mean why wouldn't they after it worked SOOOOO well for them in TF: The Movie. Killing Prime, Best Marketing move ever.

:tard

It's not so much that that new chars/story (especially in the same universe/setting) was a bad idea, as just that it was poorly executed. (Of course, it's been poorly executed in every other post-G1 continuity, but that's just MO.) What's unique is that Hasbro slapped together G1, rather haphazardly with little to no concern for such finer points of the chars, leaving the writers and voice actors the freedom to just build something interesting and have fun. Unfortunately, the same tactic doesn't work so well for expanding and building upon a mythos as it did with simply spawning it out of nothingness.

I'd like to see new kickass characters that are done well too, but.. I mean, did anyone really WANT the movie & post-movie characters to not live up to the old? Of course not.. Bumblebee and Grimlock should probably be the next most recognizable G1 chars except they're probably overshadowed by Magnus, the char who can't HANDLE IT, and Hot Rod, the guy who got our beloved Prime killed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lets be honest, the G1 cartoon characters really are nothing more then cliches. There is very little depth in the first to seasons. Now the comic and to a lesser extent season three of the toon, added alot more depth to the characters who were otherwise just names and techspecs.

The last few lines simply haven't really had good comics to go with them to really flesh out the characters, and the cartoons though having a little more depth then G1's are still aimed for a young market and for some reason those writers don't seem to think depth is necessary, they've jsut been going with gotta catch em all mentality of so many other shows and just kinda letting it flow.

Oh yeah, but then so are the main chars of Star Wars (or any other majorly popular story). Lucas even acknowledged that the chars and the story itself were all cliches, even during the time, but it works. The thing is about what happens after that. There are many varying degrees of success in creating and establishing new add-in characters..

I think SW and the TFs are great examples of how Old Cliches done right are better than so called innovation. In a contradictory way though they also show how you can't quite predict what will work even with the familer themes.

G1 Season 1-2 goofieness and all apealed in a lasting way for us old fans. It was just some cliches slapped together but it reasonated and still does 20years later. The Movie was a more organised use of cliched but loved architypes but it lost what the older cartoon had. THe SW prequils had simeler problems. There is somthing about Prime and Megs. I think it has something to do with the fact that You're not supposed to identify with Prime. He's supposed to be your Dad. Hot Rod is supposed to be you. (hot rods insecurity lost all the prime fans) Hell Hot Rod was allways waiting for Daddy to save him.

Sorry to go all Joseph Campbell on everybody.

I collect toys out of a love of sculpture. Good toys to me are 3Dimensional art. That's why the TFs are my faves. But amongst them Prime is my favorite. The original toy was a work of genius. It's theme has been contunued into scores of toys and reiterations and I think the classic themes of the Optimus Prime mold that continue throughout the TF lines are one of the things that seperates them from the Gobots and other more genaric robot toys.

I like the decepticon jets. If they're gonna make them, I'd like to see the main trio. If they make more, I'd like the coneheads. If they make exclusives, I'd think they should be Sunstorm and the green guy and the purple guy.

I collect toys out of a love of sculpture. Good toys to me are 3Dimensional art. That's why the TFs are my faves.

:pfx

I don't care much for the "media/fan" side of TFs - just give me the toys & I'm fine.

I like the decepticon jets. If they're gonna make them, I'd like to see the main trio. If they make more, I'd like the coneheads. If they make exclusives, I'd think they should be Sunstorm and the green guy and the purple guy.

:pfx

I'd say that's definitely the pecking order for the Seekers.

The way I see it is: If they release Starscream in a line & they have to release repaints to make money back on the mould - give us the other seekers instead of pathetic "Supercharged/Powerlinx/etc" repaints.

Archived