Cybertronian Defense Red Alert!

Athenor

Okay, I've transformed him a LOT..

He is a brick.. and a fragging cool one as well. =)

I don't have batteries for his Titan V rocket ATM...

but it looks absolutely amazing.

A few issues:

1) He doesn't have side-to-side shoulder articulation. The Hasbro instructions suck -- they don't have you rotate his shoulders properly. They can swivel, but they can't lift basically.

2) His head's molded in place. For as big a piece as the head is, it should have mobility.

3) getting out his pincer attachment's a Starscream. The tab is small; it's at the very tip of the claw.

Edit: My Sideways is an Autobot.

Know how I know?

He likes to eject his cyber key at the slightest move, or even randomly.

It's kinda funny. ;)

Shame one of his legs is worse than my Arcee with its popping off.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit: My Sideways is an Autobot.

Know how I know?

He likes to eject his cyber key at the slightest move, or even randomly.

It's kinda funny. ;)

Shame one of his legs is worse than my Arcee with its popping off.

I had the same problem with Sideways when I got him. I found out the screws in that piece weren't tightened all the way, so I tightened them down a little and now the key holds in just fine. So you might want to try that.

I tightened up one of the screws about a quarter of a turn. It appears to have helped.

now it's just that leg. =(

Edit:

OH! I love finding little cool things 'bout this guy.

His hammer will press in if you push on it.

Red alert's head does turn. Try pushing the chest all the way down and turning the head. Put some effort into as I've heard that it can be really tight. I'm turning my First Gunner's head as we speak and mine turns very easily and smoothly.

Yep, I just came to say that. Mine wasn't even all that tight it turned pretty easily.

I wasn't sure looking at the pics I saw earlier if the rocket came off or not, and I'm glad to say it does. VERY COOL!  :thumb

Well, now that I've got him open let me give a quickie review. I've never written more than short opinion reviews, so I hope this satisfactory.

Vehicle mode is both a ground assault vehicle and rocket/missile launcher. One thing I wasn't sure of when I first saw the pics was whether or not the rocket was detachable, and I'm glad to say that it is. That automatically gives the figure a lot more play value. He's also got a nice little double cannon near the top front which moves up and down, a little extra firepower is always a good thing.

Another thing I like is that the part with the fold out utility arm can be unfolded in his vehicle mode and it sticks out from the front bumper kinda like a battering ram. I don't know if it was meant that way or not, but it's a nice little touch. All in all, it's a fabulous vehicle mode and I give it a solid 9.

Robot mode is actually a little better than I had thought it would be. He is a bit big and blocky in the upper body, but with a big rocket on the shoulder that's kind of a must have. I think it gives him a very nice strong imposing look.

He's pretty well articulated too, knees bend and swivel, elbows bend and arms swivel, twisting wrists, full shoulder rotation, waist rotation, and his head can move but only from side to side. He can do some good poses, but it can be tricky because of the weight distribution and the feet (see pics).

Aside from the rocket, he has an accessory that can plug into either arm that has a fold out extension where you can attatch a claw or a hammer to, both of which are stored in his legs. The head of the hammer is kind cool, it's got a spring shock absorber type mechanism and pushes in when you press on it. The claw is pretty nice too, though I haven't really messed around with that yet. Best thing is, HE ACTUALLY HAS 2 HANDS!

I can't help myself, I have to give the bot mode a 9.5. He's just SO damn cool!

They cyber key is clear plastic with a red autobot logo and has a silver border. Pretty simple, yet nice.

From what I can tell, there are only a couple minor differences in paint apps, but for once Hasbro's seems to have the better end. Red has more silver paint on the chest, and on the top of the double cannon there is a little less paint than Takara's, but it looks better Hasbro's way. Beyond that, there's nothing else I can really tell that's different.

This figure is just plain AWESOME!!! If you run across him sometime soon then don't hesitate to pick him up, you WON'T be sorry!

:wtf Ok...Maybe that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be!  :tflaugh

Okay, I've transformed him a LOT..

He is a brick.. and a fragging cool one as well. =)

I don't have batteries for his Titan V rocket ATM...

but it looks absolutely amazing.

A few issues:

1) He doesn't have side-to-side shoulder articulation. The Hasbro instructions suck -- they don't have you rotate his shoulders properly. They can swivel, but they can't lift basically.

2) His head's molded in place. For as big a piece as the head is, it should have mobility.

3) getting out his pincer attachment's a Starscream. The tab is small; it's at the very tip of the claw.

I hardly call lacking one point of articulation in each shoulder a brick, when he's got wrists and two points in his waist (well, technically one's a transformation joint, but if you pull the chest forward ever so slightly, you can use it for some extra dynamic poses, if you can get his balance right).  And yeah, as has been stated, his head does turn.  It's just that the clearance is pretty fine, so if it's not lowered into place all the way, it gets jammed up in the slot.

Okay, batteries installed.

Opening the missile (either by the force chip when it's in its launcher or by pressing a small tab on the bottom of the missile) has a beacon-like sound.. Taking the missile off the launcher makes a firing sound..

and there are some pretty bright lights in the red part of the missile. Very cool. =)

I'm finding that now that I have gotten the claw out of his leg, it's going much easier. ALSO: It's a TON easier to fold down the legs before taking off the arm weapon than reversed, as Hasbro suggests.

Archived