The Key of Sephorus

“Prime? Prime, are you in here?�

Prime sat up from his energy chamber. There were various Autobots in their respective chambers refueling after yesterday’s battle. The Autobots had been victorious...

It was Spike that had come calling. The boy’s arm now rested in a harness that Ratchet had made for him. He was but one of the hundreds of humans wounded but thankfully not one of the dozens killed.

The Autobots had indeed won... But at what cost? Prime asked himself.

“Hey Prime, sorry to wake you but I wanted to show you this.� Spike was obviously anxious about something, his brow creasing as looked at the object he was holding out for Prime. Prime merely looked at the boy.

'How many times have you been bandaged up Spike? How many scars do you now carry because of us?' Prime thought

“Well Prime?� Spike insisted. Prime finally looked down though it was really only to satisfy the boy. The Autobot commander wanted to discuss something else; he wanted to tell Spike to give up his life with the Autobots. That boy’s his age should be out with friends and meeting girls (at least according to all the sitcoms the boy watched), not fighting for their lives on a daily basis. But Spike looked insistent; Prime guessed he could indulge Spike for now.

In Spike’s small human hand was a black piece of metal the likes of which Prime had never seen. It was perfectly cubed according to Prime’s optic censors, every angle and surface as smooth as glass. “Where did you find that?� he asked taking the metal from the boy’s hand.

“I found it at the far side of the mountain. It was half buried, but it was reflecting sun light as though it were a normal mirror. Kinda made it hard to miss.� The boy finished with a wry smile.

“Yes I imagine it would.� Prime said distractedly still holding the cube.

“I showed it to preceptor and he said that you should see it immediately. He seemed worried saying he would come as soon as he and Ratchet got Sideswipe stable...�

'Another young person caught up in this war! How many like Sideswipe have I led to their death?'

“...something about the “Cube of Sephorus�.

“The Cube of Sephorus?!� Prime’s eyes flashed brilliant blue and his voice synthesizer went a few decibels higher than he had intended it too. “By Primus, no.� Prime’s commanding voice had become almost pleading.

“What? What is this cube and who is Sephorus?� Spike asked his anxiousness replaced with fear.

“It is a key, Spike. The key.� Prime sighed.

“But what is it a key to?�

Prime looked down at the boy as he stood to his full height, his hydraulics and gears humming ever so slightly. “It is the key, to Cybertron.�

Archived