Galaxy Force & Cybertron Differences

echophonic

GF toys cost more in general than their Hasbro counterparts

Not really. Galaxy Convoy's RRP is 5200JPY, which equates to AU$62. Here, Cybertron Optimus Prime retails for AU$90. Even in the U.S., which seems to have Transformers at cheaper prices than any other Hasbro market (as already highlighted by a Canadian user here, which I agree is totally unfair), Cybertron Optimus Prime retails for US$39.99, which equates to AU$56.

This means that the price of Galaxy Convoy is AU$28 cheaper than our Optimus Prime and only AU$6 dearer than the U.S. RRP.

I bought Master Megatron instead of Cybertron Megatron - although Cybertron Megatron is arguably better looking, I saved money.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GF toys cost more in general than their Hasbro counterparts

Not really. Galaxy Convoy's RRP is 5200JPY, which equates to AU$62. Here, Cybertron Optimus Prime retails for AU$90. Even in the U.S., which seems to have Transformers at cheaper prices than any other Hasbro market (as already highlighted by a Canadian user here, which I agree is totally unfair), Cybertron Optimus Prime retails for US$39.99, which equates to AU$56.

This means that the price of Galaxy Convoy is AU$28 cheaper than our Optimus Prime and only AU$6 dearer than the U.S. RRP.

I bought Master Megatron instead of Cybertron Megatron - although Cybertron Megatron is arguably better looking, I saved money.

Although this has probably been brought up before, I find the "price difference" largely due to location.

I'm in Canada here.  To use the example of GF Galaxy Convoy and Cybertron Optimus Prime.

GF Convoy is 5200yen = ~$44US = ~$52CDN.

Cyb. OP is (from the US) $40US = ~$47CDN.

Cyb. OP is (from Canada) $60CDN (~$51US).

The MSRP is highest locally when everything is converted to Canadian funds, but if you factor in shipping costs to get a GF Convoy here to my doorstep, in addition to the shipping time and the trust factor you put in the postal services (:P), it becomes significantly more expensive than strolling over to Wal-Mart or TRU around here and picking up Cybertron OP.

I'm guessing the situation is different in Australia, say, since shipping costs from Japan is most likely cheaper than shipping costs from the US...

Well, I finally gave up on Vector Prime.

Seriously... $20 more for a few paint apps and some stronger "Safety" plastic just wasn't worth it.

So now becomes the question, and it's probably been answered in this thread:

What shade of paint (testors brand or otherwise) properly mimics VP's bronze? I figure I'll use my ink pen if there are any missing gold apps... Oh, and I want to paint his cyber key, that's the biggest thing that's gonna piss me off.

Edit: And now that I have the fig.... I'm very glad I didn't spend the extra $20 on the GF version. It's still cool..but this one's joints are soo loose, and the bendy wings suck (especially considering one won't go into the right position).

Yeah. We'll have to mess with this one a bit. =P

• 2 months later...

I know, I know....I keep hearing about the (Takara) Galaxy Force vs. (Hasbro) Cybertron quality issues all the time but is it really that bad?  Hmmmm.....I know that I heard of a website or maybe it was a forum topic that gave details and pics of the differences of the two.  Where might that be?  And what is a guy supposed to do?  I only have two Cybertron figs (soundwave and prime) but I am wondering which Galaxy Force figs that I should cough up the dough for? 

Thanks!

ExtremeGz

Well, I coughed up for GF Sonic Bomber and GF Flame Convoy. And boy am I happy I did. Exspecially for Sonic Bomber. The gold foil on his chest just kills the yellow paint on Wing Sabre. I actually want to grab a GF Galaxy Convoy to replace my Cybertron Optimus Prime.

Thunderblast's missiles, and launcher, have been subtly remolded.  For whatever reason, the locking notches on Thunderblast's missiles have been moved further up the missile, compared to Chromia's, and the launcher mechanism has been remolded to accomodate.

As a result, Chromia's missiles function in Thunderblast's launcher just fine, but the inverse doesn't work at all, as Thunderblast's missiles don't lock into Chromia's launcher.

Thunderblast's joints are generally tighter than Chromia's, owing mostly to a harder dark grey plastic.  She can hold her missile launcher without problems, unlike her GF counterpart.  The turret base is looser, though, making it easier to rotate the missile launcher around.

Paint-wise, Thunderblast is missing the purple on the underside of the missile launcher, the silver on the back half of her shoulders, and the circles on the deck of the boat and her chest orb are painted a brighter purple/pink as opposed to Chromia, where those details were colour-matched to the rest of her purple.  The Decepticon sigil on the boat deck is larger on Thunderblast.

Oh, and Hasbro does not use cheaper plastics than Takara.  If costs need to be cut, they skimp on some of the paint details, not on the overall quality of the figure.

Guardshell and Landmine are basically the same. The silver scratch marks on the shovels are the only things that vary and barely at that.

Scattorshot and Backpack are identical I believe.

Scourge has the same amount of paint apps as Flame Convoy but his yellow plastic is a different shade.

Crosswise is missing a few gold paint apps that Autovolt has but Crosswise's plastic is black while Autovolt's is a less appealing dark green IMO.

Snarl is missing yellow paint on all the claws on all his feet as opposed to Fang Wolf. While the missing paint is actually more show accurate is painted claws look better IMO. Snarl is also missing some white on his chest and the blue paint on both heads is very poorly applied. My Snarl was pretty bad, I had to get a Fang Wolf to replace him.

Red alert has gold paints apps on his shoulders that First Aid doesn't have. This is more show accurate.

Undermine's colour scheme is more show accurate than Dinoshout.

That's all for now maybe some more later.

I know, I know....I keep hearing about the (Takara) Galaxy Force vs. (Hasbro) Cybertron quality issues all the time but is it really that bad?  Hmmmm.....I know that I heard of a website or maybe it was a forum topic that gave details and pics of the differences of the two.  Where might that be?  And what is a guy supposed to do?  I only have two Cybertron figs (soundwave and prime) but I am wondering which Galaxy Force figs that I should cough up the dough for? 

Thanks!

ExtremeGz

If there was one toy in GF that is eons better looking because of the paint job, it has to be Vector Prime. The dull gray used in GF not only is show accurate but emphasizes further Vector's Prime being ancient.

Archived